Sign in to follow this  
stockfeed

New After Effects Plug-in

A plugin to search for Stock? Really? Of all the things to spend time coding a plugin for? I fell shitty for google searching images or even going to Lost and Taken to grab a paper texture. I try to hide that side of my work day. Now when some other guys in my dept opens my project and see I am using Stock Feed! Ugh. The Maya calendar is coming true.

Maybe you could write a plugin to... I really don't know anymore.

@pixel_pimp Maybe you missed the point of the plugin, or perhaps your extent of using After Effects doesn't warrant its use.

We are and have been in the mograph industry for quite a while now, and this plugin came out of own need.

Just the other day, I needed some fire footage for a composite I was working on. I had to stop down on what I was doing, walk over to where we keep our stock library, flip through dvd's, walk back to my computer, load the dvd, wait until the dvd spins up, preview the files, copy the ones over I think I need, import them into After Effects, and put them into my comp, all while hoping I have chosen the right files for the job.

If you don't see the advantage of our plugin, maybe it's not for you.

Edited by stockfeed

Seriously? You really have Stock on DVDs still? With 3 TB hard Drives, NAS and Servers and Dropbox and 32gb thumb drive and iPhone 5s. You wrote a plugin becuase you had to walk over and grab a dvd? Are they aleast BluRay 28 GB discs?

I also am surprised your stock libraries aren't on networked storage somewhere.

RIP THEM DISCS YO

Those are your files.

Now... theoretically, you've ripped them. I log into stock feed. I say, oh shit, Stock Feed has that dope ass fire footage I've been looking for! How the hell does the original artist then get credit for me using the footage in a project when you're the one who paid for it?

I mean, most houses have their own stock repositories, so if you're doing this just to stop from having to load up dvd's, I don't think this will go very far, and if you're doing it to share stock across the interwebs publicly, the rights issues come into play.

Man, I can't believe the hate/snark in this thread. Whats with you guys?

This looks really promising. I have a library of stock stuff I dig into occasionally, and it'd be awesome to be able to stay within AE to look for what I need instead of popping out, going through my finder, or DVDs (Yeah dude, some people still have DVDs of stock. Get over it) trying to find the right asset. The one dealbreaker for me on this would be no option to use my own directories. I don't want to use a cloud for my stock. I'd just like to link up with the server where all my stuff is.

Keep going guys. I expected some trash talk since this forum is notorious for that, but damn, some major cut-throats are on here all of a sudden...

I don't see it working. Not because the idea doesn't have any merits at all, but more because it is so limited and solely focuses on AE. For getting me even to sign up for a test period, it would have to be much broader and work in C4D, Nuke, Premiere, Photoshop and perhaps by ways of a generic desktop app/ widget as well and other users will want support for their favorite program as well. I would also want it to include pretty much each and every existing commercial vendor, not just for footage but also 3D models and whatever... On the technical site - ratings are useless and can be manipulated as much as they manipulate the user. You can see that on many sites already. Shitty rehashes of Andrew Kramer stuff from kids always have the best ratings because other kids bump them in order to promote their own stuff. It's like with Google - these days. The best (non-Wikipedia) links start on page 3 because it is all so skewed by all the fluff around... AromaKat does have a point, too, and it's actually more than a possibility. With Creative Cloud Desktop Sync now in place, you can bet that sooner than later all Adobe apps will have a panel to connect to it and Adobe Exchange. Unless you can realyl throw a lot of resources and money at it to build the infrastructure and market the service, this is going to be one hell of a tough battle that most likely you won't win, with your tools being bought/ absorbed at one point by Adobe being the optimistic version...

Mylenium

Edited by Mylenium