Sign in to follow this  
dylan

Working in San Fransisco

I would love to relocate to the area but have no experience of it. I'm not sure where to start looking for agencies/companies for design work...

I've been working in a creative agency for the past 5 years in London as a graphics generalist - motion graphics, branding etc and now I'm looking for a fresh 'sunnier' challenge!

If anyone has any advice or pointers I would really appreciate it ! Please check out my work.... dylanlategan.com

Lots of mograph work here in SF! Bonfire Labs, Mekanism, Westernized, Elastic Creative, Adobe, Google (sometimes, if you're lucky), WCG, Spy Post, Propane Studios, those are a few that I can name off the top of my head. Theres a ton of smaller studios scattered about the city. The majority of the ones I've mentioned are located in SOMA, thats South Of MArket street between 8th street to embarcadero. Living in "The City" is extremely pricey, and you may be better off looking for housing across either bridge and commuting in. Look for locations close to BART, CalTrain, or MUNI stations. Try out LiveLovely.com for an idea of places to move to. If you're looking across the bridge to the "east bay" or Oakland, I would suggest being closer to the hills, or closer to the water, as crime is a bit higher there. In the city stay out of the Tenderloin area (roughly between Gough street and Taylor street and Geary street to Market Street). There was a great apartment hunting website with a map view that was specific to SF and gave a summary of all the different districts and the pros and cons to them, but I cant find it now for the life of me. Maybe someone else out there knows what I'm talking about. It was a relatively new start-up website with a web 2.0 look to it.

Anyway, hope that helps!

Lots of mograph work here in SF! Bonfire Labs, Mekanism, Westernized, Elastic Creative, Adobe, Google (sometimes, if you're lucky), WCG, Spy Post, Propane Studios, those are a few that I can name off the top of my head. Theres a ton of smaller studios scattered about the city. The majority of the ones I've mentioned are located in SOMA, thats South Of MArket street between 8th street to embarcadero. Living in "The City" is extremely pricey, and you may be better off looking for housing across either bridge and commuting in. Look for locations close to BART, CalTrain, or MUNI stations. Try out LiveLovely.com for an idea of places to move to. If you're looking across the bridge to the "east bay" or Oakland, I would suggest being closer to the hills, or closer to the water, as crime is a bit higher there. In the city stay out of the Tenderloin area (roughly between Gough street and Taylor street and Geary street to Market Street). There was a great apartment hunting website with a map view that was specific to SF and gave a summary of all the different districts and the pros and cons to them, but I cant find it now for the life of me. Maybe someone else out there knows what I'm talking about. It was a relatively new start-up website with a web 2.0 look to it.

Anyway, hope that helps!

wow thanks for such a detailed response...really helps paint a picture! ...if you managed to see my site - do you think I could get work/represented?

Yeah, I checked out your work, and I'd say so. IMHO I think your design skills could use a little more polishing, but your reel clearly demonstrates you know what you're doing with a wide range of media so could easily get a foot in the door. I think your biggest hurdle is moving across the pond. Have a good amount in savings to fall back on while making the transition, and make the jump! God speed.

Your illustrations skills are way more impressive than your reel. In my opinion your best work is buried in your site. Come up with a less generic website design that shows off your skills as a illustrator. Maybe some large imagery that cycles through at the top of your page, you know what I'm talking about. The intro to your reel is the worst thing on your site but the first thing I saw, fix that. There's lots of work in SF and not enough people to do it, but as mentioned above it's expensive so have some money saved up and try to line things up before you arrive.

there are no good restaurants or bars in san francisco, weather is terrible, jobs practically non-existent, rents stratospheric (at least that part is true). don't listen to the hype. i'd say stay in london.

there are no good restaurants or bars in san francisco, weather is terrible, jobs practically non-existent, rents stratospheric (at least that part is true). don't listen to the hype. i'd say stay in london.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're in the minority on this feeling of SF. Maybe you should explore your city a little more. I would agree with you on the rent though.

Just live in the east bay. It's cheaper, quieter, cleaner, and it gives you an excuse to go home before midnight. Oakland sounds scary to outsiders but really the place is huge and there are only a handful of neighborhoods you want to avoid. There's also Berkeley, Albany, El Cerrito, and the south bay.

If you live close to BART you can completely get away with not having a car, and if you want to drive you can find cheaper housing farther away from BART. I live in Oakland and the train trip into the city is seldom longer than a half hour.