Sign in to follow this  
edrhine

AE & C4D Rig -- Dumping Mac and moving to PC

A few things I've found: in the windows search thing, type "change how your keyboard works" and at the bottom, turn on "Prevent windows from being automatically...", basically turns off that annoying snapping to the edge of the screen. I think I turned off all the sound effects. WIN+E = new finder window, WIN+D = Desktop.

Huh. That's one of my favourite Windows 7 features, and lots of people I know on the Mac side actually pay for programs to duplicate that functionality. To each their own, I guess.

id be careful with clover. It's a bit too intrusive for my liking. IF you really want to use something for file managment, there are a lot of dedicated file exploreres out there.

the most popular ones name right now eludes me. ( i dont really use em)

here is a link i found: http://www.techrepublic.com/photos/five-free-alternatives-to-windows-explorer/6371001?seq=8&tag=content;siu-container#photopaginghttp://www.techrepublic.com/photos/five-free-alternatives-to-windows-explorer/6371001?seq=8&tag=content;siu-container#photopaging

there is a couple there to choose from, this one has colored folders.

Maybe i should start using a different file explorer...

oh yea also reccomend getting potplayer.

its great for playing back all kinds of media files. and doesnt interrupt your music playing by taking over windows mediaplayer.

One thing that I always thought was better, was using the thumb for the modifier, or just generally the order of the Apple keys. So I found a little app that you can remap keys and I'm liking this setup a lot more than the PC keyboard setup.

Maybe it's my ergonomics preferences but using my pinky to hit control + an F key is too much gestural acrobatics. thumb and index is where it's at if you're a hotkey freak. Grundly, what's that app you're referencing to remap the keyboard?

Any reccomendations for a a way to preview files in explorer like spacebar in the mac finder?

yeah thats perhaps the only feature from mac that i want that i can't replicate on windows. but with picasa the previews are nearly instant, so its ok. and you can press esc to close the preview.

same for videos with potplayer. the player loads instantly. so no wait time like with windows default stuff.

also, winrar is an essential incase your missing it. That thing, archives and unpacks everything. Some people prefer 7zip. also good.

if you have an android phone i find unified remote very useful: http://www.unifiedremote.com/

Cute PDF - for printing stuff into pdf files.

Shark 007 codecs. http://shark007.net/win7codecs.html

lets you play back pretty much everything.

defraggler for defragging your hard drive.

that's all that comes to mind right now. Im sure more stuff will come up later.

I have found that FreeFileSnyc is great for using to sync folders between drives/computers/network. -- kind of like chronosynce for mac. Then we usually collect the final AEP and C4D files and copy the whole job folder to an external HD.

Thinking about getting a spyder pro to fix color, but not sure about that yet.

This is me in the MacPro patch. Waiting..........................................................

linus-in-pumpkin-patch-on-halloween.png?

Same here. I hope patience will pay off. I would be really frustrated trying to tweak a windows machine to feel like a mac.

Edited by este.eri

I haven't used the FreeFileSync application mentioned here, but I bought Allway Sync a while back and just recently started using it again with huge satisfaction.

You can sync FTPs too, which is useful when expecting client postings or during render farm rentals.

I started using FreeFileSync a few weeks ago. Excellent software. Watch out during installation. Like many freeware packages it will ask if you want the free 'extras'. The 'extras' are usually some form of adware. Just accept the main Terms of Service and decline everything else.

Here's a bit of windows freeware I use to keep my system tidy:

http://www.anti-twin.com/

Great for finding duplicate files and giving plenty of feedback before pulling the trigger on deletions.

So a couple weeks in, how are you liking the PCs now Ed?

Now I haven't used a PC in a few years, (so maybe this is standard now) but is there a way/software to see your recent folders when you go to save/open things?

About to get in some PC workstations after being all Mac for ages what do you guys think of these specs:

P280/6 Core i7-3930K @ Turbo Boost @3,8 Ghz/ P9X79 LGA 2011/C: Intel

SSD Cherryville 240 Gb/Intel Liquid Cooled/ Asus

GTX680 4G DDR5 Video /

16 Gb RAM Kingston KHX @1600Mhz 4X4/ (should I up this to 32 gigs?)

760 Watts Dual Rail PSU/

Going to be a workstation for AE, C4D, Premiere. Going to also be running a lot of C4D renders. Eventually looking to get in some cheaper dedicated render PCs but for now this config needs to do dual duty as workstation and render station.

You will probably want a higher wattage PSU, and more ram. You will be showing 12 cores on that, so 24 gigs min just for AE.

If you have everything in an online cart, throw up a link. Its a bit more helpful in judging how it will all work. For example, 'asus' doesn't tell me anything.

About to get in some PC workstations after being all Mac for ages what do you guys think of these specs:

P280/6 Core i7-3930K @ Turbo Boost @3,8 Ghz/ P9X79 LGA 2011/C: Intel

SSD Cherryville 240 Gb/Intel Liquid Cooled/ Asus

GTX680 4G DDR5 Video /

16 Gb RAM Kingston KHX @1600Mhz 4X4/ (should I up this to 32 gigs?)

760 Watts Dual Rail PSU/

Going to be a workstation for AE, C4D, Premiere. Going to also be running a lot of C4D renders. Eventually looking to get in some cheaper dedicated render PCs but for now this config needs to do dual duty as workstation and render station.

You probably should go to 32 gig of RAM even if it just ends up being for peace of mind. If your workstation runs out of RAM, the performance will turn to crap real fast.

Been on the PC setup for about 3 months now and cant even imagine going back. Mac would have to come out with something light years beyond a normal workstation for me to even consider thinking about switching back.

John -- just saw your posting on this but feel free to take a test drive at the office when ever you want.

You will probably want a higher wattage PSU, and more ram. You will be showing 12 cores on that, so 24 gigs min just for AE.

If you have everything in an online cart, throw up a link. Its a bit more helpful in judging how it will all work. For example, 'asus' doesn't tell me anything.

Figured about the ram, good to know about the PSU. No online cart having it built by company that services local post houses, realize not the most economical way to do it but an issue of not knowing didly about PCs and having no time to research or troubleshoot.

Aromakat how much was your build roughly that you posted earlier in this thread?