Sign in to follow this  
edrhine

AE & C4D Rig -- Dumping Mac and moving to PC

I do the same thing as Vozzz--I keep a number of the programs I use on a regular basis in my SkyDrive so their settings are always sync'd.

"Portable apps" are versions of programs that you can run without any sort of installation--they'll save their settings into the directory you put the program (instead of your registry/user preferences/etc) so they'll keep their settings from computer to computer.

Reviving an old thread because i'm following the same path of dumping mac and going back to PC.

I'm building myself a PC and have been debating between the 6 core ivybridge-e or the quad-core haswell.

4930k & 4770k

I'll still be using a 12core macpro and a small farm for my renders need.

So similarly to the OP. Im looking for working speed (timeline performance, viewport) in AE, and C4D, Photoshop.

Both CPUs have similar clock-speeds. (3.4 vs 3.5ghz) The haswell is faster per core since its newer tech, but obviously the ivybridge-e has more cores.

I'm not entirely sure how well threaded AE and C4D are besides on output. (which will happen on a different machine)

I'm also slightly off-put that the ivybridge-e is running on the x79 chipset, which feels dated now, and only has 2 native sata 6Gbits ports.

So my question is, paying for the 2 extra cores worth it over the slightly faster haswell?

Its a difference of approximately $400-500. (cpu + mobo)

Any heavy rendering will be done separately. And my workload tends to vary. But I dont do too much in the way of heavy simulation related stuff. Majority of my c4d scenes will most likely contain a lot of geometry and mograph and some thinking particles. While AE work tends to be the typical many layers and effects, particular, flares, 3D compositing, etc. Not too much of working with shot footage, but there is some. Just mentioning to give a slight sense of what the typical usage of the pc would be. if that helps.

I'd be running the OS and main apps on an SSD

GPU - Geforce 780GTX

32gbs RAM

Any input would be appreciated!

if it matters, i've been leaning towards the haswell for a few reasons, its cheaper, faster per core, better motherboard selection, and the difference of 2 cores doesn't feel as significant as when i moved from 8 to 12cores. But can't fight off the feeling that i should be trying to get every core i can.

Edited by Encity

check out their benchmarks with cinebench, then use the difference to calculate how much you are paying per point.

also keep in mind for AE there is some rule that you need 2 or 4gb of ram per core to make use of them.

sorry Ed for the late reply, didn't see your question. but As Aaron said. They are portable versions of apps that sync with the help of dropbox or any other cloud sync service. They keep all the info locally. nowdays its not really as important since most things like Browsers sync up all the bookmarks and history with the cloud anyway.

also windows tends to slow down if the registry gets cluttered, so i prefer to install the least amount of apps i can. If i can run something without installing then i prefer to do that. my main portable apps are foxit pdf reader, skype and pidgin ( not as useful anymore unfortunately).