Sign in to follow this  
joedonaldson

New Mac Pros in 2013

Yes another Mac Pro thread.

No I am not asking what specs to get to do k00l mograph and no I do not want this to turn into a flame war over Mac v. PC.

I also, know that mac is way over priced but I like them so I guess I feel like tossing some extra dough down the drain.

I am in no real rush but within the year I would like to get a new machine and I simply want to know if anyone has any news or links to the potential Mac Pro update this year.

Also, what is the typical Mac release schedule, with my luck I dont want to go out and get a new machine to then have them release a newer one a month later (yes this has happened to me twice).

Thanks.

Guest Sao_Bento

The release schedule is moot as they've missed a couple of cycles now.

There is speculation that there will be a American made MacPro coming at some point, but I wouldn't bank on it ever happening. Most people are just considering it EOL'd (discontinued).

If the new iMac doesn't suit your needs, time to think about PC hardware.

Apple CEO Tim Cook is on the record saying that there is a "really great" update to the Mac Pro in store for 2013. This could be any time between tomorrow or December 31, and of course "really great" could easily be "really average."

My 2¢ is this: If there were no new Mac Pros coming, Cook would have said nothing last year when everyone was up in arms over the faux update to the Mac Pro in May. Now that he's verbally committed to an update, they will deliver something. I'm on the fence as to whether this will be a minimal update (same design with Thunderbolt, USB 3, and latest processors) or an actual redesign of the Mac Pro. The huge delay in updates leads me to believe that they either had a fairly extensive redesign in the works that had development problems (or just lack of commitment with all their iProducts sucking up all the resources) or they planned to kill the Mac Pro off and have since changed their minds and are playing catch up. I could see Jobs killing it off and Cook resurrecting it once Jobs was gone, but that's just my imagination.

I am waiting out the year to see what happens, even though the business case for it has become almost non-existent. I'm just too lazy to deal with switching over to Windows after 135 years of using Macs every day. If you have a strong preference for Macs like I do, then it might make sense to wait if your current setup is workable over the next year. If you have the available funds, you could always get a stopgap iMac system for the time being and add a Mac Pro later if they ever materialize. No matter what you decide, I'd avoid the current Mac Pro unless you can get one for a fire sale, and even then you'd probably be spending more than you would on a brand new Windows box.

I'm just giving up and I'm building a pretty badass PC ... then again the only REAL reason I stayed with Apple was the OS (not to speak ill of apple and start a war) and the stubborn "prestige"

The artist makes the work, machines just make it easier so at the end of the day both products can help you make cool shit but your not better because your on a mac vs. a pc :)

~Florio

Just switched back to PC last week and its sooooooo much nicer than before and the speed increase from a max out 12 core is phenomenal for less than half the price.

Yup. I don't even make the case for sticking with Mac any more. The only thing keeping me in the camp is inertia at this point.

The artist makes the work, machines just make it easier so at the end of the day both products can help you make cool shit but your not better because your on a mac vs. a pc :)

I've been say'n it for years. Truer words can not be spoken. Hat tipped.

Edited by Brandon Creative

I'm hearing more & more people switching (back) to PC. I think this is only an option if you really need the raw horsepower. Often times (in the case of 3D) viewport & rendering performance can be optimized in software; lots of people get used to horsepower and get lazy in setting up their scenes.

Coming from a Windows background and hearing the horrible Windows 8 stories, i for one will hold out as long as possible :D

And i see an "iMac Pro" coming this year as Apple often times has first rights on new Intel Tech. Maybe some IMG PowerVR tech, dual hybrid drive. You get the picture.

This is really a long way of saying i've bought into the Apple ecosystem and i cannot get out. (drums, drums in the deep, they are coming)