Sign in to follow this  
_gl

Morph shapes in AE?

This is one of those things were there are many ways to do it but none of them are very intuitive.

SOMEONE PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM AN IDIOT BUT THIS WORKS FOR ME:

Say you want to turn a circle into a triangle.

On a solid create a circle mask with a keyframe.

Then on the same solid create another mask as a triangle with a keyframe.

Copy that triangle keyframe and delete the mask.

Then paste that key frame onto the circle mask.

AE will do the rest and interpolate between the shapes.

Again, I have no idea if that is the best way to do it but for me it is the simplest way of morphing between very different shapes with little head ache.

This is one of those things were there are many ways to do it but none of them are very intuitive.

SOMEONE PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM AN IDIOT BUT THIS WORKS FOR ME:

Say you want to turn a circle into a triangle.

On a solid create a circle mask with a keyframe.

Then on the same solid create another mask as a triangle with a keyframe.

Copy that triangle keyframe and delete the mask.

Then paste that key frame onto the circle mask.

AE will do the rest and interpolate between the shapes.

Again, I have no idea if that is the best way to do it but for me it is the simplest way of morphing between very different shapes with little head ache.

Nifty, but I did the example you provided and it seems like you could run into issues when using shapes that don't have the same number of anchor points. Going from a circle to a triangle, I have a weird buldge on one side until the very last frame.

I never tried that because I always figured for some reason that if you delete a point in a mask, it ripples through all keyframes. Crazy how I never knew that.....

if you are simply using the default shapes (like if you twirl down the shape properties and click on shape, and convert your rectangle to an ellipse that way) then a circle and a rectangle both have four verts. trouble is, the topmost vert of the circle is the first mask point and the top left vert of the rectangle is the first mask point, so if you just straight tween them, or Reshape, the rectangle points will slide laterally before rounding into a circle. you have to match the first mask points using the Masks>Set First Mask Point command, and as there's a strictly linear tween between each point, you have to insert a breakdown reframe if doing straight mask morphing. if using Reshape, you can morph between animated masks, providing a way too control how the interpolation is animated.

iline makes a good point, but it's actually (relatively) easy to get around these limitations. Use the Mask Interpolation panel, which is made for the purpose of "smart mask interpolation" to get around the limitations that you describe.

http://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/animating-shape-paths-masks.html#animate_a_mask_path_with_smart_mask_interpolation

http://www.angietaylor.co.uk/tag/smart-mask-interpolation/

Annoyingly, this very useful tool works on mask paths but not shape paths. So, you do have to go through the extra step of using smart mask interpolation on a mask path and then copying and pasting the keyframes into a shape path. (... or using an expression to the the path properties, which keeps the connection live.)

Please, everyone stuff the ballot box by submitting a feature request to make smart mask interpolation apply to shapes and other kinds of paths:

http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Edited by Todd Kopriva

This old old old tutorial by Aharon introdued me to the weird vert order of circles v squares wayback. If you use his 45 degree rotate trick here, you could probably then resize the whole thing into a rectangular ratio for a natural morph.

(since I seem to have probems making a) Link to actual time: (, I'm referencing 10:35 in the video)

Edited by planetfour