Sign in to follow this  
Guest govinda

Baghdaddy

Guest govinda

I did most of this last Spring, then finished it last week. Warning: Topical. :P

Baghdaddy

40mb Sorenson 3

baghdaddy_six.jpg

All structures are based on real buildings in Iraq, mostly Baghdad. The Abrams tank is a free model.

Guest paccollective

phenom. piece! where are you showing that?, you should share all of the work that went into it.

wow.

viewpoints aside (*sigh* yet another political piece); i loved it.

this definitely fits in the "what barry says" catagory and thats a big compliment.

Guest igorschmigor

Aahh!! Why is it that the most promising biggest animations always get posted shortly before the end of the month when i've already used up my monthly traffic limit?

The pics look very nice. I'm looking forward to the first of march when i can view it without paying for every extra Megabyte.

Guest thomwill

very cool govinda. love the textures and the color pallette. the music seems to get a bit repetative. just my opinion tho. otherwise very sweet. C4D?

Guest govinda

Thanks Pac and Thom!

Yeah, it's all Cinema and AE, using the 'export lights to after effects' trick to place the 2d animations in the right spots. The shading is a personal trick using Colorizer.

I actually thought of this idea like this, to save it from coming off as too much like Stat.ind. When the roadside bombings first started in 2003, the advertising guy in me thought, why don't we put up billboards all over Iraq saying, look, we're really here to help, stop bombing us. Even if our motives are bad, you're never going to get electricity if you keep bombing your own power stations. We'll probably leave faster if you stop making things so much worse.

Then I thought, we're a nation that watches 'Blind Date.' How are we in a position to tell any other nation what to do and not do? Half of the US would be hard-pressed to find Iraq on a map. Every empire starts with an Idea. The Idea is insurance, so that when things go bad, the citzenry can fall back on the Idea. The British had 'bringing culture to the great unwashed masses.' The Belgians brought their eugenics to Rwanda. Whenever something went wrong, an opium trade, a massacre, whatever, the horror of it was balanced against the Idea, with the hope that the daddy country was still, on balance, doing more good than harm.

So if any billboards went up, as in my first thought, the message would be our Idea. And it'd be straight from trash culture America. We bring Democracy, sure, hopefully, but we also bring US, in all our lowbrow glory.

Which is not a political thought, really. It's more sociology and pure misanthropy.

Guest Tread

ba da ba ba ba, I'm lovin it!

(reference to another evil force ruining the world intended)

:D

Ted

Guest igorschmigor

I couldn't resist, so i had to view it.

I think that's a great idea and great execution.

Somebody in Bagdad must have taken this too serious. Today a terrorist killed 125 people in Iraq.

Guest SermonOfMockery

the colors are scrumptious, very nice choice! i'll leave the content for you CNN types to discuss :)

Guest yamirb

loved the use of beig colour. symbolisis army uniform and the desert. great chooice of music. ethnic and modern. I wish i had your type skills. loved it.

Guest pixelthief

A home run on all counts... concept, execution, all that shit. Amazing color scheme and type.

Gonna save this one. Love that shading.

Guest mezonik

AWESOME! i was gonna say you used 3dsmax and used the radiosity filter for the lighting. but if it was a combo of c4d and AE then good stuff man! keep it up.

Guest JR

Did i notice a jump cut in cloud loop near beginning after first pull out--made the sky look little weird ? Wasn't crazy about using a wave/ripple to bring on fonts buts that just me---I certainly could NOT do this !!

Very well done, I enjoyed it and loved colors as well

JR

Guest govinda

I guess I revived this with my link. :) I haven't even shown it much to the world in general, just to two companies blind and a few others I'd already worked with.

That glitch in the clouds is probably real. If I did it over I'd build out the clouds completely different. That whole pull-out transition is clumsy--the rotations don't match like they should.

The prob I have is always doing things in 3D to match reality rather than really using my imagination to do things that can't be found in the real world. A good combination of that would have only a few things that break the laws of physics--the way that Bugs Bunny never walked up a tree except one time just to show that he could. Saline does this better than anyone in their later stuff--just a touch of unreality here or there to key you in that it's not real, but otherwise mostly things are in the right perspective. When everything is unreal, I get bored quick (spaceships, space battles, fantasy princesses, etc.)

Pleix used a similar Abrams tank model in their piece for Basement Jaxx. There's a perfect example of how to adapt 3D to just-so-fantastic uses without going completely into yawning la-la land.

Guest mezonik

^^^ whoa the 3d is awesoem, reminds me of plastic model kits unpainted and untextured. and the lighting and color is blended nicely between 3d and live action. nice reference movie to add to the collection.

Guest parallax
Pleix used a similar Abrams tank model in their piece for Basement Jaxx. There's a perfect example of how to adapt 3D to just-so-fantastic uses without going completely into yawning la-la land.

31649[/snapback]

(thread hijacking)

You'd probably never believe this, but i actually wrote a small treatment 2.5 years ago about dancing tanks for a 3D Festival submission. Suffice to say we went with the usual fare :| (wich sucked)

Guest govinda

But it doesn't count if you had them doing the Citron transformer jitterbug with the rolling arms thing from 'Saturday Night Fever' and the arms-behind-the-back jig thing from 'Lords of the Dance.' :P

Guest Sao_Bento

>> the Citron transformer jitterbug with the rolling arms thing from 'Saturday Night Fever'<<

Man, that thing will just not go away. I must have had to watch it 30 more times in the videos Logan did for Apple's NAB booth. I can understand the extended conversation about the Cog spot, but gimme a break.

Guest Sao_Bento
There's a spoof of that Citroen shite out.

http://www.x-bam.com/

Damn, that's a lot of work for one small joke at the end.

31963[/snapback]

It's just as effective at selling the car as the original was. At least the "joke" adds a little bit of payoff at the end.