Sign in to follow this  
docphibs

shape layer AE problem - looping stroke effect...

wow i haven't posted on this in like... 2 years? i dunno... can't remember it's been a while...

anyways...

curious if anyone has run into this issue with shape layers. I'm using "trim paths" to use a shape layer exactly like 3d stroke to stroke a line and animate it. I'd LOVE to use the offset property to animate this... but i run into a problem:

I create two points with a pen tool to create a simple straight line. I shorten up the "end" property to 50%. I then scrub the "offset" property to the left and the line reappears on the opposite end. I don't know how to keep it from doing that! I want the line to simply disappear when animating with the "offset" property as it goes from start to end.

(don't tell me just use start and end, or 3d stroke, or stroke tool... i can't)

anyone ever run into this? any help would be great :)

thanks and glad this site is still goin strong!!!!!

maybe should'a said they wouldn't all be straight haha... i just wanna simply know if there's a way to kill the loop with a script or something. if not then i guess i simply have to deal with some messiness. just hoping for an awesome fix

Though shape layers are troublesome at times, offset seems to be working as intended in this instance. Your limitations for a solution are a little tight, not sure why you can't animate end/use stroke/use mattes.

maybe with a little more info we could help find a clean solution.

yea i know - it's not a SUPER crazy need... i'm getting by by just using start / end keyframes just fine... but i'm foreseeing it being a little painful if there's a massive note later on for timing changes it's gonna be a bit more painful to readjust.

it's a little nit-picky request to just simply turn off the loop :/

*sigh* - oh well