Sign in to follow this  
javier g

moving to c4d from 3ds max

well i guess im going to have to face it, Max is slowly dying, c4d is already the industry standard for mograph, but im still stuck in max.

i ve used c4d a little, did tutorials, i love a lot of stuff (specially mograph module and ae integration) but something keeps holding me back to make the switch.

i feel i could invest that time in getting better at max, or even ae, but i know im missing projects cause lots of gigs requires c4d.

i remember when mograph.net wasnt an almost c4d forum! good old days ha!

anybody here did the switch? being a long time max user? i want to read some stories to get the courage to start!

at my age is kinda difficult to invest time going back to almost zero, but i think it might be worth it.

I was in max for 8 years and picked up cinema over the past 3. The transition isn't too bad, cinema is really user friendly and you're usually a google search away from any questions ( " 'max term' in c4d" ). Honestly all these 3D apps work the same, it's all math. You'll be happy to have max in your back pocket for any specialty plugins for sure so don't slouch too much on it.

http://cg.tutsplus.com/tutorials/maxon-cinema-4d/create-a-jumping-lamp-animation-in-c4d-day-1

i made this tutorial while i was learning max and xsi. Realised there are people who know what 3d is and want to switch to cinema. so this covers a lot of basics, without spending too much time on em. assuming, that you already know what keyframes and extrude is.

I've posted about this here a few times before. I've made the move to C4D from Max and it's been pretty painless. The main purpose for the move was working at shops that didn't use Windows PC's (the superior solution!) and had to make 3d elements with what was available on the Mac platform. The choices were Maya and C4D(available to me at the time), and the answer was obvious. For my needs C4D was the choice. C4D operates similar to 3dsmax and the learning curve isn't as steep as Maya. My only regret is that I have not touched Max since version 8 (before they started naming their versions by year). I started using Max when the company that owned it was still name Discreet Logic (for the youngins who may remember that). Anyhow, now the C4D community benefits form plenty of info on the program as well as a plethora of 3rd party plugins/scripts to help you get things done (much like how I remember Max's community to be like). You've also got vRay for C4D too.

Now for some of the bad news. C4D isn't without it's faults (but what package isn't?). There are still alot of little things missing from C4D that's been in Max for a long time. (like pivot point manipulation without damaging the actual pivot point, align tools, etc). These little problems aside though, i've managed to make a complete switch to C4D, although I regret not keeping up with 3dsmax. But like you this old brain just can't handle the data, soon i'm going to have to be dumping stuff... what was I talking about again?

edit*- make the jump, you won't regret it.

Edited by oeuf