Sign in to follow this  
hamax1

headed to LA

I know it's a pretty big can of worms but any advice helps.

I'm headed to LA at the end of the month for work and will be scrambling over the next few months to find a place.

Tips on good places to eat are helpful too!

What part of LA are you trying to stay in? I would advise to stay west of the 5 and north of the 10. Culver City and East Hollywood / Silverlake are good for cost-effectiveness.

Hit me up & stop by when you get settled.

That's exactly where I've been looking, but just started peaking at Burbank and NoHo a bit, even tho it would be a hellish commute down to my friends and work who are south of Beverly Hills.

I've done 2 hour commutes before, but I don't exactly plan to always be driving at rush hour, I am curious as to just how bad it really is.

Its about 17.5 miles per hour to get anywhere, no matter if your going through the valley or taking street roads. Thats the number I use to estimate all travels, and its pretty much spot on no matter the destination / origin.

Those canyon passages just get super-clogged when there is an incident.

South of Beverly Hills is Culver City. If you find something in that area, I'd go for it.

Rush hour... um... its always rush hour.

I'd definitely recommend the north Culver City or Palms area if you like the area. I've lived here for 4 years and I rarely have to commute much more than 30 minutes to any studio. It's usually about 30 minutes to Hollywood, Downtown or Santa Monica, and 15 minutes to Venice. Sometimes a little more or less depending on traffic. Getting to Burbank can be a hassle, but it'd be really rough commuting into the Westside from Burbank or Glendale if you needed to.

Edited by Xaltotun

I know it's a pretty big can of worms but any advice helps.

I'm headed to LA at the end of the month for work and will be scrambling over the next few months to find a place.

Tips on good places to eat are helpful too!

Atch Kotch (ramen) on Fountain between Cahuenge and Vine.

Massa (pizza) on Sunset in Silverlake/Echo Park

Umami Burger (several locations)

Daikokuya (ramen) downtown

Don Cucos (margaritas) in Burbank

El Compadre (margaritas) in W Hollywood on Sunset

Good (microbrew/ all sorts of food) on Sunset in Silverlake

that'll get you started.

edit: you ever get in the zone and write something then later realize it kinda makes you sound like a dick? I think those places have good food & drinks. Thats all I'm trying to say.

Edited by ianfreeze

Its about 17.5 miles per hour to get anywhere, no matter if your going through the valley or taking street roads.

Rush hour... um... its always rush hour.

I almost never go East of the 405, but if I leave at 1030a, I have full speed driving to almost anywhere, except maybe a little clog on the connection from 10 to 405. But that time from my experience has been the safe hour to haul ass to downtown or Burbank.

Fine eating:

They just opened a new Wendy's on Lincoln in SM ;)

Haha, you guys are awesome, thanks for the tips!

I get really excited about trying new food places, I'll try to resist posting my restaurant reviews here, haha.