Sign in to follow this  
jayfaker

New Mac Pros... here we go.

It means your going to pay double for hardware from last year (at best) that is not upgradeable or scalable. Apple has shot themself in the foot IMO as more and more folks I know switch to PC every week.

I think we are all getting a bit wary of Apple these days. They keep moving in a different direction then where we're headed. Look at erhine's post about moving to PC in his office. Also, iMovie pro, and no more enterprise server support. We have been their biggest advocates over the years and bought the more expensive machines for the more comfortable working environment. Now I find myself thinking about the directions were headed for in the future. Hopefully this release will give me hope about their commitment and I will eat these words and be excited for my new workstation, hopefully my monitors will still work...

It means your going to pay double for hardware from last year (at best) that is not upgradeable or scalable.

Whatever. Whenever Apple says pro, they mean pro!

Edited by jayfaker

Yeah.. its just a matter of keeping up with the times. A fast workstation allows me to work fast and and spend less time work or get a better product in the long run. I have macbook pros, 12 core mac pro and PCs on the low and high end. Its really about what support is out there. With the new PCs in our studio, I can update the processor and graphics card next week if something new comes out... and without have to buy a whole station. The flexibility is something that Apple has never provided. That being said.... I still love them and sure that if they put effort into it, a new mac pro will scream

Honestly though kids, I'd wait another 3 years for a machine upgrade if I could have Final Cut Studio 8 instead of the calamity that we have now. That's far more important to my workflow than a bit faster machine. What good will it do us when I can't use the OS or the software anymore?

Final Cut Studio 8... really!!???!!. WTF How about a software package that is up to date and makes use of current hardware in its workflow.... oh yeah FCP is there right, works well huh? And by a bit faster workflow I mean the ability to scrub thought timelines in AE and C4D and update in less that a second (when performance is shitty) rather that wait for a rainbow wheel of death.

Cant use the OS is just not an excuse. Our studio converted from mac to PC in under a week, including the time to build the freakin machines from parts ourselves... software is the tool for your creation, not the other way around. If you can edit in FCP, you can sure do it in Premiere, Vegas or Avid (or Smoke or Flame for that matter) just as easily and in iMovie 17x ultra.

Edited by edrhine

I know it's super fashionable to belly flop on the floor and tell Apple they ruined your life because they changed FCP and fucked around with MacPro schedules. But by next summer, Apple will release a new Macpro. And just like always it will be in the ballpark of competitive in performance while being over-priced. Thousands of people will buy one and life will go on. And FCP's both old and new will still be dogshit which will allow people to finally try better systems. The Earth continues turning, and my love for queso grows ever deeper.

People seem to forget that Apple's pro strategy is not at all compatible with it's consumer products strategy. They also seem to forget that life cycles in businesses, especially those in which Apple professional products are being used for years on end are far longer than those of consumers'.

Lastly, it does not make economic sense for both Apple & 'prosumer' to have an update ready every 3 months. It will keep you from innovating radically.

Granted, the Mac Pro update cycle and pro applications support has been shabby if not downright poor. But this is mostly perception compared to accelerating developments in consumer products.

I believe Apple has been waiting out on the chance to build something completely new. You cannot keep extend on older tech if you want to offer something fresh & above-par. It is a question of supply chain, manufacturing & engineering philosophy and Apple cannot swap in hardware willy nilly just to keep up with yet another MhZ speedbump. Most people might not have noticed the diminishing returns on extra CPU-power the last couple of years but it really is happening.

But most importantly: Apple has had first dibs on pro Intel technology before which means that (as was the case before) the new Apple product would NOT be 'last years' tech' for 'inflated prices'. It would mean, according to Intel's tick-tock strategy, that Apple might have first dibs on a completely new architecture. And when is this architecture due? June 2013

And first dibs might just mean exactly what it says in the article: spring 2013. How does one secure this kind of privilege? €140+ billion dollars in cash might buy you some marketpower.

Don't confuse strategy with incompetence (althoug it certainly looks like it, i agree with that). That would be kind of naive with regards to the largest tech-company in the world.

Innovative and nice products I would have to agree. The first dibs thing is great, but how long does that market share last? The first round of 12 cores was absolutely amazing, now I can get better performance for half the price after they have been seemingly abandoned for a few years. I'm sure the next line will be killer, but I am also sure that it will be at a higher price tag comparably (once the tech is released elsewhere) and will still have all those annoying types of things like incompatible monitor ports and more. Dont get me wrong, I still love my macs, just more please with using PC at the moment

The odd thing about the Mac Pro is that's really the only "me too" product in their hardware lineup (except maybe the Apple TV.) With the iPhone, iPad, Macbook Air, etc, they are shooting to have the best product in the category, and credible cases can be made for each of those products that they are the best in their respective categories. While certain releases of the Mac Pro and older PowerMac towers were considered among the better choices for pros when they were new, as a lineup they've essentially been on par or below what's available on the PC side from a performance standpoint, with no significant advantages for professionals other than the OS, if that's your preference. While I can imagine other tech companies crapping themselves when the iPhone, iPad, etc. were announced, I don't think anyone has lost a moment of sleep over Apple's new Mac Pro in a long time, if ever.

It makes sense to me that they would consider getting out of the pro market, unless they've got some ideas on how to leapfrog the competition with a complete rethinking of what a professional workstation can be. Otherwise they're just keeping a relatively small group of existing users happy with a product that doesn't really fit their culture and doesn't make them that much money. That might be good karma but shareholders aren't into karma.

Uh oh.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Mac-Pro-Europe-Discontinued-New-Regulations-Pulled,21170.html

Pulled from shelves because of "According to MacWorld, Apple's Mac Pro doesn't quite meet regulation due to the power provided to its I/O ports and the placement of its fan guards."

That's a strange reason for it to get pulled.

Edited by oeuf