Sign in to follow this  
jayfaker

New Mac Pros... here we go.

There is no secret or anything behind all this.

Apple is just waiting for Chris to let them know

what CPU they have to order from Intel that

will be compatible with AutoCam. So any year now really...

Cheers

Lennart

BAHAHAHAHA!

:)

-m

I think there's an opportunity for Apple right now. Everyone hates windows 8 as a desktop OS, and OSX is a tried and true OS for pros.

Still though, Apple likes their big fat profit margins. I don't think big margins work on desktop computers any more.

Uh oh.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Mac-Pro-Europe-Discontinued-New-Regulations-Pulled,21170.html

Pulled from shelves because of "According to MacWorld, Apple's Mac Pro doesn't quite meet regulation due to the power provided to its I/O ports and the placement of its fan guards."

That's a strange reason for it to get pulled.

That is actually where this rumor originates from. The deadline for these EU requirements was coming up and Apple told some retailer that they were going to release a newly designed mac pro that will fill these requirements. I actually think it's a good sign that Apple hasn't released a quick patch. Either Apple is really slow with patches or they actually have a new mac pro up their sleeves. Here's hoping it's the latter.

Everyone hates windows 8 as a desktop OS, and OSX is a tried and true OS for pros.

People who haven't used windows 8 hate it.

People who have used it for more than 2 weeks love it.

Edited by AromaKat

@aromakat: have they developed a way to go straight to desktop yet? (win8)

Its always been there. I very rarely see the other menu. Its basically just a new way of showing the start menu. Once you take a little time to organize those buttons its actually really nice.

When Im on a mac, I always open programs by using that cmd+spacebar thing. This is basically that. Push the windows button, type what you want then enter.

Its a change to get used to, but once you learn what old habbits to drop to avoid being in what I call RT mode, there is nothing wrong with it. Get rid of any apps / shortcuts on that screen that are RT apps and your golden.

As much as it seems like all hope is lost, it seems like it would be even more uncharacteristic for them to bail out after making all these promises—albeit unofficial ones.

Regardless, I've got boot camp installed on my iMac and I'm enjoying Windows more and more. At least this way I'll be emotionally prepared to jump ship if they don't pull through.

I love mac screens, but hate mac hardware (and I grew up on mac quadras and performas). My studio does have a newish pro tower and a brand new mini, but I built a beast of a pc for a fraction of the cost (intel extreme, dual gfx cards, ssd, blu-ray, 32 gigs of ram).

I can't live without my shiny aluminum apple toys, but I can't stand the bullshit wait and lack of industry progression. Who wants to start a pc company that is the best of both worlds, but doesn't look anything like Boxx?

As spring appears to be on hold we may be waiting a little longer for these new MacPros.

I've never tried queso, but my love for whelks will never dim as long as the sun shines and the cows moo.

As spring appears to be on hold we may be waiting a little longer for these new MacPros.

I've never tried queso, but my love for whelks will never dim as long as the sun shines and the cows moo.

Spring is on hold? Not if this is true: http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/08/rumor-suggests-replacement-for-mac-pro-due-in-april-or-may/

I really, really hope we see them introduce something groundbreaking, but assuming they are still using standard server technology and not their own new technology, I don't see anything that could really be all that special based on whats out there now. At this point, its too late. A 12 core mobo / proc is still top of the line for anything these days, with the only problems being in the lack of graphics card support and SATA III. They might bring out a 16 core system, but I'd take higher clock speeds over number of cores on a primary workstation any day, especially when everything super-intensive is moving rapidly to the GPU.

In order for me to feel like I'm not making a bad investment when buying one, they need to introduce:

1) that new Intel technology developed for server rooms that distributes processing across all machines on your network to have one, massive brain in your office

or

2) opening hardware support for whatever video cards you want which is especially important these days with fast-moving advancements in utilizing GPU processing power. The video card limitations and lack of SATA III are the only things that make current mac pros feel old right now.

Ideally, they come out with something unexpected that completely shocks and awes.

My guesses to what a new mac pro would include unless they move away from Intel:

• Hardware-level onboard raid options
  • Sata III support
  • Thunderbolt / USB 3
  • Support for GTX cards

None of which is anything special. If only the above is included, this conversation will be back within a year since all of that is already years overdue.

I wish they would just offer a legit and supported =

I do dream of them announcing that they made their own scaleable all-GPU based platform, but am cluless whether or not that is actually feasible in reality.

Edited by AromaKat

if they started supporting directX then cinema could finally ditch the dreadfully outdated openGL and we could have a nice viewport.

although if mac just discontinues their pro line that would work too :D

Hold on to your hats chaps, I guess within a couple of weeks we'll either know that we'll all be on PCs soon enough.. or just keep being strung along as usual. I'm hoping for remarkable, I don't care if Mac Pros as we know them die but I hope they replace it with something better or put us out of our misery

I wonder which has been longer: the new vray for C4D update or mac pro updates?