Sign in to follow this  
jayfaker

New Mac Pros... here we go.

I have a feeling we are all going to be disappointed.

My prediction is: underwhelmed but satisfied. So, performance parity with a decent PC and having Thunderbolt. But that's about it.

EDIT: Learning that whole correct spelling thing.

Edited by C.Smith

My prediction is: underwhelmed but satisfied. So, performance parity with a decent PC and having Thunderbolt. But that's about it.

Yeah. I don't think it will be anything special either, but at least they will longer the paperweights I have come to despise being sat down to for working when on-site. Its a shame. After all of this holding out I was certain that they would be the ones to introduce the photonic interconnect stuff... but it doesn't seem to time out right :-( Feels like they felt everyone leaving and jumped the gun.

The big question for me is graphics card support.

A lot can be said about the Interconnect E7 stuff that they are apparently not holding out for, but all that is probably overkill for anything other than render farms, which are also going by the way-side with the shift to the GPU. Thats why I hope they start officially supporting real card options and get away from this quadro nonsense.

Oh.. and for the love of all that is holy... Hardware-level raid. They better.......

I love mac screens, but hate mac hardware (and I grew up on mac quadras and performas). My studio does have a newish pro tower and a brand new mini, but I built a beast of a pc for a fraction of the cost (intel extreme, dual gfx cards, ssd, blu-ray, 32 gigs of ram).

I can't live without my shiny aluminum apple toys, but I can't stand the bullshit wait and lack of industry progression. Who wants to start a pc company that is the best of both worlds, but doesn't look anything like Boxx?

Im in! lets make pretty windows machines! for professionals.

The only issue is if we don't charge as much as mac pro's cost than we wont be making any reasonable margins. since we wont have the economies of scale of Dell or HP.

but maybe if its done in new york, and we specialize in supplying studios there. It could be financially viable i guess.

But then we get back to the problem that windows computers are too easy to fuck up with shitty software and spy ware and stuff. So we'd have to provide an unrealistic amount of tech support, which once again would just eat away all the margins.

Maybe just a volunteer effort. Make a website. and it has 3 configurations, that are updated monthly or something.

Penny pincher - the cheaper pro level option

best bang for your buck - best power per dollar machine.

Overpriced beast - for the people with unlimited budgets.

And then have links to the products on amazon or similar sites and make money through affiliate links to sell the products.

You know, the problem also is: only in the ultra high-end is it still worthwhile to keep pushing the performance boundaries. I'd say a good guess would put that at no more than 2.5%.

Most pro-users in all markets don't really 'need' more than what is currently offered. The returns on hardware performance have been marginal the last few years because software has been a limiting factor. Apple does not use the shotgun infinite product line-up approach which means putting out updates for the hell of it. It's a business expense most people will wait 3-5 years to update it even more when in a recession.

It think they have waited for the right moment do redo the Mac Pro from the ground up just like FCP. They didn't change the latter for the hell of it. Also, the new OSX upgrade is mostly a performance & stability update which make sense in this light.

It will probably be faster than the competition for a few months because of first dibbs on Intel tech have some fusion type drive and maybe just maybe some GPU type addon and that's about it.

Let's face it, it would be nearly impossible for Apple to release something that amazes this crowd, and I include myself in the crowd. Unless they've perfected a cynicism distortion field I expect a barrage of "meh" and "that's it?" from this site no matter what they release. That's the problem with them waiting so damned long to update the Mac Pro; it makes an update that brings relative performance parity to the PC side seem like a half assed effort, even though we'd all be perfectly happy if they had done this on a normal upgrade cycle. I expect there will be some new things in the Mac Pro update beyond standard issue component upgrades, but regardless of that the PC guys will still tell us they can make the same box for $1.95, we will still buy the Mac Pro anyway, and all will be right in the universe again.

My problem with PCs has never been the hardware - there are SO many options. It's Windows - I fucking hate Windows. Seriously. If I could (reliably) run OSX on PC hardware I would. But honestly I'd probably just end up building something relatively close to a Mac Pro anyway, hardware-wise, and then the cost savings is negligible.

I don't expect to be blown away. I just hope they don't screw it up.

You know, the problem also is: only in the ultra high-end is it still worthwhile to keep pushing the performance boundaries. I'd say a good guess would put that at no more than 2.5%.

Most pro-users in all markets don't really 'need' more than what is currently offered. The returns on hardware performance have been marginal the last few years because software has been a limiting factor. Apple does not use the shotgun infinite product line-up approach which means putting out updates for the hell of it. It's a business expense most people will wait 3-5 years to update it even more when in a recession.

I am going to have to respectfully, but fully disagree with every sentence quoted here, in a big way. Waiting 3-5 years to upgrade is absolute insanity.

It is.

But you are obviously not in the center of the Bell Curve. Don't think that the average Mac Pro user is a motion designer. Most people are by definition (there is some very nice maths 'principles' that you can apply almost everywhere) in the lower tier segments of production and their needs are dictated by the sort of clients they have. And even in the mid to high end i see people going the iMac way.

For every motion designer doing work at any reputable shop there are a thousand doing crappy wedding videos.

For every motion designer doing work at any reputable shop there are a thousand doing crappy wedding videos.

I've been wondering about this ratio a lot lately. Going to NAB made me realize how small the total sum of all motion graphics (and hell, all post-production) really is in the grand scheme of things that make money in media. Of course, everyone here probably does not include themselves in the wedding crowd. Ammirite fellas? Fellas?

Edited by Colin@movecraft

My problem with PCs has never been the hardware - there are SO many options. It's Windows - I fucking hate Windows. Seriously.

Absolutely in every way. That's the real issue with why I think people wait for Macs. I've always said the dream would be officially supported OSX on and PC hardware.

As far as ratios of people needing maxed out comps vs average comps. I think there are tons more people wanting the fastest machine they can get. First and foremost are people who simply want the fastest thing they can have despite what they use it for. Then there are the wedding video guys who still want the fastest machine as it allows faster everything: snappier editing, faster rendering of long-ass boring videos, etc. Then there is the scientific and math community. Sure a lot of them are on Linux, but Macs have always been extremely strong in the science field. Then there are all the subsets of the entertainment business, 3D, mograph, coloring, editing, compositing, technical direction, coding, etc.

I'm sure the list can go on and on outside of things that we usually discuss.

OS X is (currently) nicer than Windows, but if the new machine is only what we think it will be, it just flat out feels like a lazy pick and settling for metiocrity. Well... we haven't seen the announcement yet which may change things, but I'm pretty sure Apple is just going to continue down this uber-consumer path they are on. Paying a premium for another round of the last 5 years doesn't seem like a smart move.

I do find myself tweaking with registry entries and oddities like that to get Windows acting as I would like it to, so while I don't personally mind getting under the hood like that I understand why people cringe at the idea of switching. Even I have a hard time finding some rarely needed settings in Windows that are just a few easy to find clicks away in OS X, so I can only imagine its not fun switching from OS X to Windows. But, as the power users we are, what else is to be expected? Theres no such thing as a power user on an iPad, and I think we will soon be saying the same about a mac.

Theres also my fear of their successful "so easy a baby can use it" and "it just works" taglines being even remotely associated with what I do. I realize it might come across as a bit of a stretch, but I am truly seeing consumer-type clients who are all on mac airs and iMacs being mystified by the super-tweaked windows stuff. They go out and say "those guys have CRAZY mad-scientist machines". I feel it definitely puts us in a better light than competition who opt for the ho-dum "it just works" boxes.

So... while 95% of us might be okay in the immediacy with the hardware we think they will announce, it won't hold up for long. And there probably won't be anything to upgrade to for a long time, not to mention the cost of upgrading in the mac world. I just don't get it. The OS is no excuse.

I think we looking at this wrong.

forget about the hardware or the brand.

Someone needs to create a new OS targeted at the creative. Preferably unix based. So by default it has the features that people love about macOS and so it allows for the customization and tweaking that people get from windows.

Obviously this is something that need to be done in co-operation with Adobe, maxon, autodesk and so on.

And then everything will be hunky dory :)

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/05/apple-planning-something-really-different-for-new-mac-pro/

Looks like it's going to be very different, when it's released. No internal expandability, no disc drives, etc. Probably heavy reliance on Thunderbolt as the means to expand memory, GPU, etc. Lots of peripherals, I guess. Anyway, I still hope this is part of the announcement on Monday.

"that he heard the new professional Mac would be "heavily reliant on Thunderbolt" with "no internal expandability", and would have support for dual-GPU's and no FireWire or optical drive."

Dis gun be gud....

Intel announced Thunderbolt 2 yesterday.

"that he heard the new professional Mac would be "heavily reliant on Thunderbolt" with "no internal expandability", and would have support for dual-GPU's and no FireWire or optical drive."

Heh. No firewire, and no internal expandability to add firewire? I don't think so. There would be stockpiles of unaccessible data on shelves if so.

Edited by AromaKat

Intel announced Thunderbolt 2 yesterday.

Heh. No firewire, and no internal expandability to add firewire? I don't think so. There would be stockpiles of unaccessible data on shelves if so.

I'm guessing, again, that the reliance is on Thunderbolt. Get a firewire converter module, a DVD-R module if you want one. I actually think it may be a very innovative way to do things, with one caveat. With all of these expansions, I hope they're thinking about the way to keep the hardware nice and organized. Like someone commented on macrumors, if they made modules that snapped together into a unified box,, or, I dunno, I guess they could do rack mountable pieces, then it would serve to keep the space clean. If it all feels like peripherals on wires then it feels a little anti-Apple. (I know they like peripherals, but only so far, right?)

Edit: Plus, Thunderbolt only has so much bandwidth right now, but maybe they're in the process of upgrading to a newer version? Just speculation.

Edited by jayfaker

Like someone commented on macrumors, if they made modules that snapped together into a unified box,, or, I dunno, I guess they could do rack mountable pieces, then it would serve to keep the space clean.

That would kind of explain them killing the Xserve. But I kind of doubt Apple's going to support any sort of rack mount ever again.

That would kind of explain them killing the Xserve. But I kind of doubt Apple's going to support any sort of rack mount ever again.

Nah, that was too long ago to be related