Sign in to follow this  
jayfaker

New Mac Pros... here we go.

People are going to have all these crappy peripherals and wires hanging off their new Mac Pros. It'll look like an octopus on your desk.

I'm counting the seconds until someone makes a "designed" mass connector that moves all the ports from the back through one sleek tube down to a patch panel or breakout or something you can hide elsewhere.

cube.jpg

Remember this?

I wonder if the new model would be as embraced as it seems to be, had there been regular updates to the mac pro we all know and love. I think people would just hold off to see how things panned out, like what led to the demise of the G4 cube. Since the mac is so insanely overdue for a refresh, everyone is forced to adopt the new tube.

The more I sleep on it, the more I want the new mac pro. But they just keep trying to push hardware you can't upgrade. In the pro line, they haven't been able to successfully do so. The conspiracy theorist in me suspects Apple intentionally under-served the pro client base so their systems were so old people would eagerly jump into completely closed off hardware.

Meh... F it. I'm probably still going to buy one.... or two?

**edited out a cheeky comment

Edited by AromaKat

Sorry if I'm behind the curve on this one, but am I hearing everyone right? We're all just gonna buy adapters for our current storage setups, or buy new storage? This is the thing I'm not getting my head around. I've got RAIDs, I've got drives everywhere, I've got 64TB on Drobos. How much is this gonna cost me?

Sorry if I'm behind the curve on this one, but am I hearing everyone right? We're all just gonna buy adapters for our current storage setups, or buy new storage? This is the thing I'm not getting my head around. I've got RAIDs, I've got drives everywhere, I've got 64TB on Drobos. How much is this gonna cost me?

I was wondering the same. Is thunderbolt.... dead?

You should be fine with your Drobo. Those are ethernet-based, right?

Yeah but I've got 4 of em, plugged into a Sonnet card. And what about my OWC RAIDs? What about the piles of client drives that come through with eSATA and firewire? The whole thing is just a little troubling. I can live without a DVD burner, without PCI slots, without internal drive bays, without firewire, without more RAM slots, without ways to appease my clients' every whim. But everything all at once? It may create more issues than I'd face moving my whole setup to a PC.

It seems like there's an opportunity here for someone to create a useful breakout box that would make a lot of people happy, though.

Yeah but I've got 4 of em, plugged into a Sonnet card. And what about my OWC RAIDs? What about the piles of client drives that come through with eSATA and firewire? The whole thing is just a little troubling. I can live without a DVD burner, without PCI slots, without internal drive bays, without firewire, without more RAM slots, without ways to appease my clients' every whim. But everything all at once? It may create more issues than I'd face moving my whole setup to a PC.

It seems like there's an opportunity here for someone to create a useful breakout box that would make a lot of people happy, though.

I've used only the Mac Retina laptop now for a year. It is hooked to a Mac 27" Thunderbolt monitor. That monitor IS a breakout box with GigE ethernet, more USB, FW800. That alone makes it all work very well with old stuff. In addition I have a small Sonnett eSata To TB doodad that works well, the few times I've had to use it. Personally , I love this whole system they have going on. It makes things far more modular. There is already quite a bit of TB accessories out there and no doubt there will be an explosion of more. When Apple didn't come out with a new MacPro, last year, I went with the Retina and backed Thunderbolt. Got a R6 Raid, The BM Thunderbolt video box, etc, etc. They all work perfectly and I find it way easier to use and swap.

Personally I don't understand what all the fears are about. Everything works great and there are simple adapters for old things in the small window of time you'll need them, or to lay in a drawer for the 2 times a year you dig up an old drive.

The Foundry & PIXAR did a demo of MARI on the new Mac Pro at WWDC. It took them 6 weeks to port to OS X.
The MARI creator & the shading TD from PIXAR were very impressed by the speed of the new MacPro & said it's the fastest computer they have seen for MARI.
PIXAR guy was talking about using multiple characters each with 10GB of textures & the new MacPro can easily handle it in real-time & play back.
Pixar guy blurted MacPro is shipping in fall.

Article on PIXAR blog: http://www.pixarpost.com/2013/06/pixars-speech-at-apple-wwdc.html

Damn! That thing is tiny!

dmHV4hU.jpg

I did not realise how small this thing really is. Do you know what this also seems to tie in to? BYOD. Although for a change i don't have an opinion on that specific development, it moves the capital investment to freelancers who can bring in their own gear.

This thing might be cheaper than we all think.

I did not realise how small this thing really is. Do you know what this also seems to tie in to? BYOD. Although for a change i don't have an opinion on that specific development, it moves the capital investment to freelancers who can bring in their own gear.

This thing might be cheaper than we all think.

I was thinking how do I stack all my gRaid drives on top of it, then I realized I can stack the new MacPro on top of the drives.

Surely they can keep manufacturing costs down, by keeping the box small and fairly standard, and simplifying all the expansion options into Thunderbolt?

Will they pass the costs on to us? Will we be able to buy without RAM and source our own (looks like we only have one bite at deciding how much RAM we will give it)

That is impressively tiny for a pro workstation. I would be a bit worried about accidentally knocking it over. That shape looks perfect for a rolling off a desk and making a break for the floor.

The thing I don't quite understand is the limited amount of RAM. Even presuming Apple start approving the 8GB sticks, it maxes out at 32GB which is ok but not what you'd call future-proof, surely? Maybe the PCIe Flash memory somehow makes a difference to the amount you need…?

Still not convinced that in 5 years time all my jobs will be stereo 3D 4K HDR. Regular 1080 25p still has a bit of life in it. All I ask is that I can have a full HD C4D render going on while I work on a full HD After Effects project - or vice versa. 32 GB should do for that.

Looking at the size on this guys desk, seems like you could bring it around in a backpack if you were a freelancer. I wonder if that was intentional. This machine could be a legitimate solution for people that need portable desktop power. Wouldn't be surprised if some mac pro carry cases started cropping up.

Edit: ok pretty much what parallax just said.

Looking at the size on this guys desk, seems like you could bring it around in a backpack if you were a freelancer. I wonder if that was intentional. This machine could be a legitimate solution for people that need portable desktop power. Wouldn't be surprised if some mac pro carry cases started cropping up.

The monitors pose a problem with that, especially if new Thunderbolt monitors are basically required.

That, and near desktop-performing laptops have been around for a long while. It might make carrying it around easier, but I don't think we will see any more BYOD than we have been.

The monitors pose a problem with that, especially if new Thunderbolt monitors are basically required.

That, and near desktop-performing laptops have been around for a long while. It might make carrying it around easier, but I don't think we will see any more BYOD than we have been.

In my experience though, studios always have a few seats with good monitors that are hooked up to obsolete machines. Ok, so it would be a pain to deal with wiring everything up every day, even if it was as small as the Mac Pro fleshlight, but if I was goin to be working on some heavy c4d scenes I'd probably bring it over a laptop.

I could definitely see the BYOD happening more, already I know some freelancers who bring in their own kit, it'll only increase I think. Just a guess really but as you have more 'flexible' small companies set up, which don't like large overheads (eg computers) then why not?

I quite like the idea of being able to chuck the tube in a bag and have all my stuff set up. It can be frustrating working at places where you just have an iMac with no plug ins etc.

Not sure how much I like the idea of lugging a very expensive bit of kit around town but I'm sure I'd get used to it.

Regarding monitors, clearly it's a lot cheaper for a studio to have a few extra monitors than it is to have whole machines.

Also, if you do freelance and bring in your own kit, how much do you charge percentage wise?

Edited by simonfarussell

I personally dont think there will be a video card option.

Everythong they have said thus far (dual gpu, 6gb ram and ecc) seems to point to either the w9000 or s10000.

Nice cards though. But damn they are expensive as all hell.

Edited by AromaKat

Simple economics & strategy dictates that there will be options or the price will be lower than expected. It has been around the $2500-$2700 mark for 5 years, the G5 started at the 2k mark.

Edited by parallax