Sign in to follow this  
jayfaker

New Mac Pros... here we go.

Simple economics & strategy dictates that there will be options or the price will be lower than expected. It has been around the $2500-$2700 mark for 5 years, the G5 started at the 2k mark.

Agreed with parallax. They would have to be inhaling hourly crack fumes to price entry above that traditional mark. Unless they were deliberately trying to self-destruct. There's no angle that would make sense. They still have a huge cult of us who are on the fence and they know that we love price points. They know it makes sense to make it affordable to the artists of print, web, mograph. All having different needs.

cheapest 6gim card I see is about 2K. not sure how a machine with one of these would clock in around $2700. The first 12 core MP was about 5K and prices are not that much cheaper right now for the parts so I would expect at least that for a 12 core system. If the do quad cores then 2.7K might make sense but then my bet is that they will say you should be on an iMac and not even offer that option. My guess is that this is the pro only upgrade people have wanted and the prosumer users are going to get kicked off the line to the iMac. A simple parts build out based on price alone with put you way over $2700.

But hey until its released its all just a guess

I'm wondering if they won't treat this like they did with AppleTV. Where it used to be $399 with a full harddrive and all. Then they went small, solid state and priced them at $99 to move a bunch of units. Adding up the individual prices may equate to a lot of money in the MP, but I can't help but think since they built this comp AROUND some of these major parts there were some serious economies of scale. So although I don't expect it to be dirt cheap, I am wondering if it will be "priced to move" more than trying to juice every dollar out of it.

AMD won the contract to supply the GPUs in the PS4. There's a big difference between the PS4 GPUs and the new MacPro GPUs but I'm sure they also share many of the same parts and tech. AMD must be making GPUs by the millions at the moment so Apple could have got a killer deal on the high-end cards.

I'm wondering if they won't treat this like they did with AppleTV. Where it used to be $399 with a full harddrive and all. Then they went small, solid state and priced them at $99 to move a bunch of units. Adding up the individual prices may equate to a lot of money in the MP, but I can't help but think since they built this comp AROUND some of these major parts there were some serious economies of scale. So although I don't expect it to be dirt cheap, I am wondering if it will be "priced to move" more than trying to juice every dollar out of it.

Exactly. In a limited line up the economies of scale can be spectacular. Add to this the fact that AMD has been in trouble and rumor has it they are taking a loss in exchange for a massive install base in both next-gen consoles & the new Mac Pro and you can do some serious lowballing with your suppliers.

@ destro

Most of the tech in 1 generation of graphics cards is based on identical architecture. The Fire Pro very much looks like a SLI 7970 with Fire Pro certified drivers. The 7970 hardware is identical to the W9000 except for half the RAM and as it happens, Apple claims the new Mac Pro to have: "Dual Fire Pro with 6gb" (not Dual Fire Pro with 6gb each).

This is 2 gaming cards custom-made for Apple, running Fire Pro drivers, i'm sure of it. That makes it a $800 card instead of 4k.

I just keep thinking about the apple billions being hoarded offshore, sitting there doing nada. motion graphics artists aren't supposed to think about anything except personal career path, but nonetheless it bugs me.

[words]

This is 2 gaming cards custom-made for Apple, running Fire Pro drivers, i'm sure of it. That makes it a $800 card instead of 4k.

Do you think Apple would claim Dual Fire Pro only to try to pull a fast one with 2 gaming cards and Fire Pro drivers? Drivers =/= a legit card.

I'm not trying to suggest Apple is being fraudulent, i'm trying to explain how it can be possible to offer these specs without breaking the bank. A Fire Pro = a Radeon with different firmware & drivers, that's a well known fact. Nvidia does the same with Quadros.

If i'm buying 200k+ chips off you, you can bet your ass we're going to be special friends.

Agree with the fact the new pro's are going to be good value for money due to apple's new 'commodity' manufacturing process. Case in point the Retina Macbook Pro was released alongside the existing macbook pro, if you spec'd the old MBP to the same level as the rMBP the newer machine was substantially better value due to the fact the SSD and RAM were now fully integrated in the rMBP rather than upgradeable as in the older machine, even if you sourced the upgrades outside of Apple.

This meant apple's manufacturing options were a lot simpler and therefore efficient as there were less configurations and those that were available were controlled by apple (I still smart for paying for the 16gb Ram and 512gb SSD of the rMBP version upfront from apple rather than doing the previous of getting the bits from crucial).

But the rMBPis still the best laptop I have ever owned, annoyingly in a good way.

Slightly concerned that the link to the premiere CC link shows the OpenCL optimised for Windows only, hope that AMD and Adobe share the love on the Mac side too. It will be interesting the see how much the new OS improves things as I opened C4D on my mac pro in Windows 8 with a reasonably heavy model I had been working on, and it was night and day faster compared to OS X 10.8. AE CC seemed a bit nippier too, so maybe the new Mac Pro Hardware is going to make a great Windows Machine...... especially as with AMD the difference between drivers from pro to consumer is much less than on the Nvidia side

Haha yeah, Windows will run like never before. It does look like Mavericks will have substantial modifications on OpenCL & OpenGL (as per Apple).

More worried about the software than the hardware for that matter.

This is the biggest event for pro Mac users since the advent of the Mac Pro 7 years ago. Apple have given plenty of notice, and software developers will surely have prototypes to work with. Unless Apple asks a ridiculous amount for them and sales suffer, it is in everyone's interest for this to work well - there are a lot of Adobe and Maxon customers who will upgrade/subscribe overnight if it does.