Sign in to follow this  
vozzz

Montior questions. LEDs?

hey guys. my laptop died recently so i got a desktop. woooh big screen!

but since i was in a rush, just bought the essentials. And bought the cheapest 22" there was. at $120 i guess it was a good deal. But WOW... i did not expect the image quality to be this terrible. (It's an LG). Im not very picky in general. But the blacks band constantly. I ended up just crushing em with the nvidia screen color tool because it was so bad. AND the monitor only has a VGA port. And letters and stuff really are not smooth at all. everything is really aliased... (this last thing might be because im used to 1080p on 15" and now i 1080p on 22"?

anyway. So im buying another monitor. But the choice seems to be absolutely staggering. and now with these LED screens. I don't know, what are their drawbacks? could this banding be because its an LED?

So yeah thought id ask your opinions. I think $250 is as much as i want to spend right now. Brand suggestions? LED vs regular backlit?

Have you tried turning on ClearType?

I think you could get a Dell ultrasharp for a decent price. HP and NEC make good LCDs. Get an IPS i think.

I just pulled this out of my ass, but i think its correct. :ph34r:

I'm getting a 23" Dell Ultrasharp IPS LED monitor delivered today (gotta spend all my tax money on hardware before April boyeee). I'll skype you and tell you how it goes.

I'm typing on my ancient 17" laptop monitor which has the same resolution (1920x1280) so I'm curious to see how I feel about not getting any higher res despite the extra size of the thing. I tried finding a non-Apple Retina equivalent, but there isn't one. Apple made a great thing and have slapped a fucking patent on it. Good for them.

Here's what I am waiting indoors on a sunny day for: Dell UltraSharp Monitor Review

ok so it looks like Dell it is. =)

yeah clear type was already turned on. The text isnt so much an issue, although after tweaking the clear type settings it does look a lot better.

Its stuff like desktop widgets that look terribly aliased. the arrows on clocks, and then numbers on the calender (are not affected by turning cleartype on and off)

after some reading, the dells seem to have a pretty low response time. And NECs mostly have tome funky resolutions in the hungarian shops.

AOC looks awesome tho. And the reviews seem to be happy about em. Anyone have any bad experiences?

The only thing I would add is, for $250 I would definitely go for something used, and probably not current. Hit craigslist and go back a year or two, you should be able to find something in the $400-450 range for $250, which bumps you up a notch. Not so much has changed that you're going to see a huge difference between 2011 and 2012 gear. And I second the positive Dell comments.

I would only get a used screen if it is an LED screen.

For me the two main points for a new screen ar 1. LED 2. IPS

I use Dell and HP mostly, both deliver the goods.

Its not too late. I got used to this piece of crap :)

I think ill save up for that 21:9 LG monitor. That thing is awesome!

thnks for the review website. very useful.

just thought i'd update.

i got this monitor: http://www.lg.com/hk_en/monitors/lg-D2343P-home

and WOW!

it has 3D, but wasnt really worried about it, but when i tried it i was blown away!

movies just looks so much fun on it. Its like in the cinema's where shit keeps popping out at you. its more like you have a box on your table and stuff happens inside of it. Really cool experience.