Sign in to follow this  
Guest breadlegs

Showreels

Guest breadlegs

Do you need to get permission to use music on your showreel.

It seems that there's loads of people here with famous songs on their reels.

cheers

Guest headbox

it's a silly question considering all of the massive publicity over napster, itunes, copyright trials, piracy etc.

OF COURSE you can't just pick a song and use it to get business without paying for it.

...but people do anyways, and they better hope they don't have enemies who would like to pick up the phone and turn them in.

Considering how easy it is for a monkey to buy some royalty-free loops or use Apple's garage band to make electronic music, there's no reason to steal a song from someone else without paying for it. Almost everyone knows a wannabe musician that would probably jump at the chance o make a song for your reel too.

How would mograph designers like it if musicians used their video work to make a demo reel for their songs without asking/paying?

Guest pixelthief

Depends upon the musician. The dixie chicks can use my shits anytime.

How would mograph designers like it if musicians used their video work to make a demo reel for their songs without asking/paying?

22771[/snapback]

Guest nextseason

So headbox, i'm just curious, because I assume your not a hippocrite, have you ever used an artist's music, contacted them about it and paid them?

Guest scottiedarko
it's a silly question considering all of the massive publicity over napster, itunes, copyright trials, piracy etc.

OF COURSE you can't just pick a song and use it to get business without paying for it.

some people on this board are so unrealistic and self-indulgent that it drives me away from here every few days.

the bottom line is: EVERYONE USES MUSIC FROM WELL KNOWN BANDS ON THEIR REELS AND ITS OK BECAUSE ITS FOR NON_COMMERICIAL PURPOSES (basically) and the bottom line is IT IS OK so dont sweat it and dont listen to these dudes who try to scare you with ifs and buts and loophole terror.

Guest igorschmigor

Pssst... that's headbox. He's lonely, you know? Whenever he says something: just nod and say "Yes Sir". He has no other joy in life.

Guest silatix

you know.. at first i was skeptical.. but now i love it when headbox enters a conversation. hes the new mbx times 5gabillion

Guest igorschmigor
i miss imago  :(

22783[/snapback]

:lol: funny how he stopped showing up after govinda revealed that he and headbox are the same person.

you know.. at first i was skeptical.. but now i love it when headbox enters a conversation. hes the new mbx times 5gabillion

22784[/snapback]

Yes, headbox can be lots of fun if you don't take him too serious.

What's wrong with MBX? I think he's cool. He's got humor.

Guest fredcamino

actually, musicians who want me to buy their music should be begging to get on some good mograph reels. if it wasn't for huzby's reel i'd never have found cafe tacuba. if it weren't for buck i'd never have found simian. if it weren't for exopolis, the hidden cameras would remain unknown to me. shilo helped me discover prefuse 73. sin color introduced me to towa tei. and of course, pixel thief showed me the wonderful world of the dixie chicks.

Edited by fredcamino

Guest igorschmigor

That's true. Whenever i run out of keywords to enter in napster i go check out a reel. ;)

pie-of-hope.jpg

Guest SermonOfMockery

just use whatever you want. a) nobody is going to find out and B) even if they do you're just gonna get a cease & desist or something. trust me, people that do skate videos use AC/DC and shit and i've never heard of anyone getting in trouble... nothing will happen.

Guest dmc

Hi, i was just wondering, is there any reason for just having one track for a showreel?

For example, what would you do if the video/mograph is actually controlled by the audio and therefore if the audio is a different track it makes the visual out of sync?

thanks

Guest Sao_Bento

>>For example, what would you do if the video/mograph is actually controlled by the audio and therefore if the audio is a different track it makes the visual out of sync?<<

Most reels are or contain a montage of work (makes it look more exciting). In that case, you want one track to cut to. Many places now include individual spots in their entirity with the original sound.

Guest govinda

Yeah, that's tough on those people who're really good doing graphics to music.

I'm amazed at how adaptable graphics are to any beat, so that you get acceptable stuff pretty easily. But when someone does motion to music insanely well, like Renascent, you get a whole next level of experience. For guys like him a montage is a crime.\

<Sniff Sniff> I smell mince-meat!

Guest Sao_Bento

>>I'm amazed at how adaptable graphics are to any beat<<

Peoples brains naturally organize things. I remember David Carson talking about that NIN thing he did - saying they intentionally threw shots in the timeline, letting the cuts fall where they may in relation to the music. There is also some passage from Eisenstein about the evils of being wooed into cutting to the beat of music.

Guest Resbot

When you make a motion graphics demoreel, you are selling your skills as a designer and as an animator. You are also demonstrating your knowledge of the relationship between music and motion, and you want to make yourself look as cool as possible by your choice of music.

Why should you write your own music if you are not selling yourself as a musician? Why use awfull royalty free music when it will just look like you have horrible taste? You aren't selling the music, you aren't going to get paid for the music, you aren't stealing from the musicians.

As for headbox, I believe he dishes out as much "pie" as anyone else, his post is a little too simple minded for me to take it seriously.

Edited by Resbot

Guest govinda

I watch most reels with the sound off. Reel music is we used to call 'borrowed interest.' You'd like to think the graphics could stand on their own over silence.

As much as this sounds high-minded it's actually because I don't want to turn off my nonstop loop of Mao, Lenin, Trotsky, Guevara, Castro, Petra Kelly, Allende, Patrice Lumumba, Cockburn, Chomsky and Spongebob Squarepants indoctrination just to have music with someone's reel. :P Colon-P is for pie!

Guest headbox
So headbox, i'm just curious, because I assume your not a hippocrite, have you ever used an artist's music, contacted them about it and paid them?

22775[/snapback]

I have always used my own music. Always.

Guest headbox
some people on this board are so unrealistic and self-indulgent that it drives me away from here every few days.

the bottom line is: EVERYONE USES MUSIC FROM WELL KNOWN BANDS ON THEIR REELS AND ITS OK BECAUSE ITS FOR NON_COMMERICIAL PURPOSES (basically) and the bottom line is IT IS OK  so dont sweat it and dont listen to these dudes who try to scare you with ifs and buts and loophole terror.

22781[/snapback]

You are the problem. You think just because everybody does it, it makes it Ok. Unrealistic and Self Indulgent? How about you pull your head out of your ass and show respect to people who slave for hours making music just as much as any mograph artist. A reel IS FOR BUSINESS purposes too. It's not hard to contact a record label for permission/fees, and like I mentioned before, it's easy to make loop-based music or find a starving musician looking for an outlet. Put out an ad saying you'll pay a local musician $100 for 3 minutes of beats and everyone's happy.

It's amazing when I give a 100% feasable solution where you still put out good work without breaking the law, and people are so high on themselves they'll attack me anyways- because it would mean admitting their doing something illegal. Rather than say "hmm, maybe I shouldn't steal music for financial gain when there are other things I can do" you all freak out. Makes me want to watch all of your reels and makes some phone calls...

150 years ago people had slaves, because... well you know... everyone else did too.

Edited by headbox

Guest silatix

slavery? man, this pie is delicious!

i guess ill throw in my 2 cents. a) stealing music is the last of most of our problems since im sure a large amount of people on here dont even pay for their own programs B) if you paid for the cd, then you can do whatever you want with it if you're not making a profit off of the music (you're making a profit off your skills) c) i can understand the necessity for larger companies to pay for their music especially if its broadcast work d) im guilty of not payin' for half my shit

Guest govinda

Ack, not exactly whatcha call a universal ethical principle at work in that previous post. :lol:

I think of our use of music as being nothing more than the victory of practice over principle. The letter of the law is a little teensy tiny bit shitty, and that letter says that self-promotion isn't a copyright violation. Fine for us, good enough. And for most musicians like Fred said the use of their music on our reels is a plus, though some are surely grumbling about it as I write this. You could also say that it's no worse than their music being played for free over the radio. It's free sampling, it's been done for decades, and it's much more of a giveaway than anything our infinitesimal circle of reels creates. Because really there just aren't a lot of people doing what we do. Ad people and directors have reels too, but they have narrative, so no music except snippets at head and tail.

Guest headbox

Well guess what-

1. Music isn't played for free over the radio. Artists get paid per airing, per station.

2. If you buy a CD you don't own the music, you paid for the right to listen to it whenever you want.

3. "Self promotion" doesn't apply to a demo reel you are using to get paid work.

4. Any music recorded since 1922 can't be used without permission.

5. Music doesn't even need to be officially copyrighted- all someone has to do is show proof they are the one who created it.

6. Most mograph music pirates don't even give credit where it's due in their reels.

7. I hate assholes who think music is public property and their hard work and creativity has no value. I don't care if college students, internet pirates, and whiners who say "that's how it's always been" hate me- there is widespread theft of property going on in the world; movies, music, and software, and something needs to be done about it. If you try to justify it, you're just another thieving asshole.

At least have the balls to say "I'm a music pirate and I don't care" instead of trying rationalize it.

Edited by headbox

Guest silatix

when was the last time you looked inside a cd case and it said "illegal to be used in motion graphics demo reel". i've got a beach boys cd (not mine) in front of me and all it says is 'unauthorized duplication is a violation of applicable laws'.

if someone like your reel so much that they have to record the song off of the dvd or media player, then they have way to much free time.

duplication for profit and distribution are completely different things than using an artists song for showing off your mad phat crazy mograph skills. yes, morally, we should get artists permission to use their song (for flattery or for whatever). but ill be damned if im gonna try to get in touch with foreigner or their label to use jukebox hero on my next demo reel.

ps.. i dont disagree with giving credit where credit is due. but i just dont think a lot of people really care, its not like theyre putting on pirate hats and pirate masks and going "arrrr" as they download a low-quality song off kazaa ya know? shit just happens and then bam theres your demo reel and your all.. fuck! should i have paid for this song? too late.

Well guess what-

1. Music isn't played for free over the radio.  Artists get paid per airing, per station.

2. If you buy a CD you don't own the music, you paid for the right to listen to it whenever you want.

3. "Self promotion" doesn't apply to a demo reel you are using to get paid work.

4. Any music recorded since 1922 can't be used without permission.

5. Music doesn't even need to be officially copyrighted- all someone has to do is show proof they are the one who created it.

6. Most mograph music pirates don't even give credit where it's due in their reels.

7. I hate assholes who think music is public property and their hard work and creativity has no value.  I don't care if college students, internet pirates, and whiners who say "that's how it's always been" hate me- there is widespread theft of property going on in the world; movies, music, and software, and something needs to be done about it.  If you try to justify it, you're just another thieving asshole.

At least have the balls to say "I'm a music pirate and I don't care" instead of trying rationalize  it.

22837[/snapback]