Sign in to follow this  
monte

After Effects paint system

Hey everyone,

do you guys use paint system at all? I've noticed that loads of people are using Flash for frame by frame animation. Why not paint system? I have no experience with it what so ever but I though it would be interesting to hear your opinions.

Thanks!

I have used the paint system in the past for stuff like painting areas of a scene out and simple stuff like that. For that type of work it is very handy.

I have never tried to used it for any cell work but my first guess would be that it is a bit cumbersome because that's not what its made for and it is limited in options compared to something like Flash or Photoshop.

It would be worth trying out though for simple stuff. But I would suggest loading up Photoshop and doing it there.

I'm no cell animator, but from what little I've used the paint system for (painting out rigs and mics from shots), it can be pretty cool. The ability to have all your strokes appear in the timeline is a nice touch, but I feel like the actual painting tools (brushes etc) are limiting and rudimentary. As I understand it, ToonBoom Animate Pro is favored and far more robust. From the demos I've seen it looks very powerful.

Edited by SFBurning