Sign in to follow this  
hiytrebla

AE Easing - speed or influence

Anybody know the difference in the speed and influence values in the keyframe velocity option of easing?

I've always only changed the influence of the ease and got the results I needed, but any ideas on what the speed does or could do?

Speed is the rate of change, influence is a falloff of that rate to the next key's rate. Use the value graph and save yourself some headaches.

Edited by brake

A useful way to think of it might be that "speed" influences the direction in which your graph handle is pointing, while "influence" will alter its length.

The "speed" field is a little unwieldy to think about, since it's all relative to the units you're working in. Fortunately a speed of "0"is predictable regardless of what property you're working on.

I used to think that the value graph was the way to go in all situations, but in the past few months I've found that getting comfortable with editing keyframe velocities numerically. Getting used to understanding how the influence percentage will affect your animation can take some time, but once you've made that investment it'll save you a lot of time toggling between the different value curves and adjusting them visually.