Sign in to follow this  
baynoise

Mograph + Bikes

Been riding bmx for the past 15 years and during the good months in Chicago I try to ride a Surly Steamroller as much as I can. How's cycling in NY? It seems crazy but with a lot of the dense streets in BK it seems like it might not be so bad.

Awesome. I've been riding BMX for about 15 years as well! Though to be honest the last four years I really haven't. It's one of my goals this year to get back into it. Riding in NYC is pretty entertaining. Every time you ride to work it feels like you're at war with the world. I just started to get into road biking. It's a total 180 from BMX but it's been great to get away from the computer. Speaking of Chicago. I'll take Chicago pizza over the **** in NYC any day!

I did cycle couriering (in some places I think it's referred to as messaging) for about 7 years before switching over to motion graphics.

There does seem to be a loose link between peoples interest in cycling and motion graphics. Maybe the motion of the world rushing past us on a bike connects with the motion of the graphics. I dunno. Maybe it's because many of us are just big kids.

I love motorcycles! I still don't have a licence. I did ride a motorcycle from Thailand to Burma one time though. I even had some crappy Thai weed in my bag and crossed through a bunch of military check points. Reckless.

That's awesome you come from bmx. I know how it is when it starts to play less of a role in your day to day. It's a bummer but hey such is life. At least we have all those rad memories.

As for city cycling I know what you mean. Back in Florida I loved cycling to work and long distance rides. But here in the city it is such a shit show it takes 100% concentration to just not get killed.

The wife and I are actually looking at moving to NY in the next year. If so, Im definitely excited about cruising the NYC streets. Fuck doing tricks I just want to roam the streets on the bmx bike and enjoy it.

BMX up in here! I grew up racing BMX for years, I miss it. Around college I was just riding dirt jumps and skateparks, and getting into road biking. Then bicycle touring, did a 10 day camping trip that covered 1400KM which was amazing. Just sold my road bike but I still have my Surly cross-check which is good for commuting and can handle some touring. Toronto is alright for commuting, I ride everyday but I fear for beginner cyclists wanting to get into commuting. It's absolutely absurd that a city can't support a proper bicycle infrastructure.

i've really been interested in getting a bike for a while now for health purposes. maybe a hybrid. any suggestions on a good affordable intro bike. i've been looking at Specialized and Raleigh.

I used to bike more now I bike mostly for commuting. After getting pretty out of shape from long hours in front of the computer I started biking everywhere as my main mode of transport as long as the weather wasn't too awful (even biked through almost an entire canadian winter). Really made a huge improvement in my health/life.

I have 2 Giants, both were good value for money if you don't want to go too crazy. One is a fixed gear I use when I am commuting in traffic. As much as I hate to be seen on something that has become so hipster I really do love riding a fixed gear in stop start traffic and when the weather is shitty. The other one is a performance hybrid that I use for longer rides and when I want those gears for hills:)

My best advice is go to a good bikeshop and try the bikes and talk to the people that know their stuff. On a lot of the cheaper bikes the different manufacturers cut corners in different ways if you get something with a decent frame some of the other stuff can be upgraded over time if you want.

i've really been interested in getting a bike for a while now for health purposes. maybe a hybrid. any suggestions on a good affordable intro bike. i've been looking at Specialized and Raleigh.

Check Bikes Direct out: http://bikesdirect.com/

They are very cheap bikes but you will get the best prices there. My wife got a bike from there and its going strong 5 years later. A lot of their stuff definitely isn't top of the line but you'll save some coin and its great for entry level people.

BMX up in here! I grew up racing BMX for years, I miss it. Around college I was just riding dirt jumps and skateparks, and getting into road biking. Then bicycle touring, did a 10 day camping trip that covered 1400KM which was amazing. Just sold my road bike but I still have my Surly cross-check which is good for commuting and can handle some touring. Toronto is alright for commuting, I ride everyday but I fear for beginner cyclists wanting to get into commuting. It's absolutely absurd that a city can't support a proper bicycle infrastructure.

That's awesome man. Bmx is the best. Im so grateful it played such a large role in my life. I started out racing in middle school then got into ridings parks and street.

Fun stuff.

One is a fixed gear I use when I am commuting in traffic. As much as I hate to be seen on something that has become so hipster I really do love riding a fixed gear in stop start traffic and when the weather is shitty.

I ride a fixed gear, although i'm missing a scarf from my hipster ensemble.

I second the bike shop visit.

My previous bike was a Raleigh Grand Prix. It got stolen a couple months back but I really loved it.

That's awesome you come from bmx. I know how it is when it starts to play less of a role in your day to day. It's a bummer but hey such is life. At least we have all those rad memories.

As for city cycling I know what you mean. Back in Florida I loved cycling to work and long distance rides. But here in the city it is such a shit show it takes 100% concentration to just not get killed.

The wife and I are actually looking at moving to NY in the next year. If so, Im definitely excited about cruising the NYC streets. Fuck doing tricks I just want to roam the streets on the bmx bike and enjoy it.

You will like riding in NYC. I actually just got back from a 50+ ride this morning. Once you ride out of the city there is some beautiful areas to ride! Such an epic ride today.

I bought my bike five years ago from a garage sale for $30. It's white and has orange spray paint all over it. A lot of the time it doesn't shift. I brought it to MEC for a tune-up and they told me to throw it out.

I love my bike.

I brought it to MEC for a tune-up and they told me to throw it out.

I love my bike.

Haha. I used to ride a bike that was so shit, I didn't even have to lock it up. It eventually got stolen, but I think I pulled it from the trash in the first place.

Is it wrong that one of my requirements for working at a shop is that they allow me to park my bike inside?

Of course, if they do good work blah blah blah... bike in office.

Is it wrong that one of my requirements for working at a shop is that they allow me to park my bike inside?

Of course, if they do good work blah blah blah... bike in office.

Definitely not. I got a bike stolen outside of a studio here in NYC. It was my fault though. I locked it up to some scaffolding which was just stupid of me. They literally just unscrewed some of the scaffolding and took my bike.

Awesome. I've been riding BMX for about 15 years as well! Though to be honest the last four years I really haven't. It's one of my goals this year to get back into it. Riding in NYC is pretty entertaining. Every time you ride to work it feels like you're at war with the world. I just started to get into road biking. It's a total 180 from BMX but it's been great to get away from the computer. Speaking of Chicago. I'll take Chicago pizza over the **** in NYC any day!

Been riding bmx for the past 15 years and during the good months in Chicago I try to ride a Surly Steamroller as much as I can. How's cycling in NY? It seems crazy but with a lot of the dense streets in BK it seems like it might not be so bad.

Ahh what? We got BMXers in here? I've been riding for a little over 7 years now. Still trying really hard to ride at least once a week. If there is any BMXers in the Los Angeles, holla at me! I'm usually up to ride skate parks/plazas.

I Needed to get some more exercise and wanted to save a couple of bucks on gas so I started riding my fix gear, yes I succumbed to the trend, to work in Santa Monica with a ride that is little over a 30 mile ride round trip. It's definitely tough sometimes dealing with the chaotic streets in Los Angeles but I'm sure it's wayy worse in New York.

By the way baynoise, I saw your Lotek Brand video a long long time ago on The Come Up or maybe it was the Lotek Site? Anyways, I was pretty siked to see that at the time. Friends and I talked about it. There was very little well designed motion graphic pieces out there in the BMX world at the time, was nice seeing something cool rather then the random film burn between each cut.

By the way baynoise, I saw your Lotek Brand video a long long time ago on The Come Up or maybe it was the Lotek Site? Anyways, I was pretty siked to see that at the time. Friends and I talked about it. There was very little well designed motion graphic pieces out there in the BMX world at the time, was nice seeing something cool rather then the random film burn between each cut.

Thats rad man. I am hoping to do some BMX work this year. The skateboard industry is killing it. No reason the BMX industry can't start pushing out more creative content.