Sign in to follow this  
baynoise

GPS Data to Cinema 4d

Hey baynoise do you know if this is even for sure possible?

I have a project where I need to do a lot of animated maps to show various travel routes. I want to do them in cinema using either OSM or DEM data which I've seen ways to bring in to cinema...but plotting the routes was the big stumbling block.

Didn't even occur to me that the gps data could be imported to cinema. Have you tried any methods yet to use the data?

I found a free program called GPS Babel that will export the .GPX file to various formats. My buddy was telling me that there is some cool stuff you can do with Processing and there seems to be a lot of resources as well. There has to be away though.

I did a quick search and found that with sketch up you can export gps data as svg so that should give you a spline you can bring into cinema. You wouldn't have any height data though...but combine that with the depth info from DEM and you could use that to displace the spline...

Tricky thing would be getting the scale of the terrain in cinema as well orientation to line up with the spline from sketch up. Will try and test when I have some time, maybe they will match up fairly easily.

My issue is since I need to do a lot of these I am trying to find a way to set up a template project and then just input the different data without too much manual tweeking for each new map.

Will post back if I figure anything out.

Seems like it's the kind of thing someone clever could write a script to do...but unfortunately I am nowhere near clever enough:(

I've kind of done this. I used a route created in google maps, saved as a kml. Brought that into Illustrator using the Map Publisher plugin to geo-sync it to the map area I had already imported. Then brought that Illustrator file into C4D and just had to match up the size of the splines manually to the land in C4D.

If they are using absolute values that are translated to the 3D coord system at the same scale, then they should line up. I assume they are using degrees of time like Longitude/latitude. BUT! The big question is how they are mapping that to a 3D system based on 0,0,0? Does greenwich become the very center of the universe? Or do you select a chunk of data from the planet and it's just centered in the C4D space? So the key is to see how the SVG is mapped from absolute positioning into relative 3D coords and see if the other data set does the same. And if not, then figuring out how to make a conversion.

I've kind of done this. I used a route created in google maps, saved as a kml. Brought that into Illustrator using the Map Publisher plugin to geo-sync it to the map area I had already imported. Then brought that Illustrator file into C4D and just had to match up the size of the splines manually to the land in C4D.

Nice was psyched to try this until I looked at the price for MapPublisher...budget on this project does not permit a 1500$ plugin purchase:(

Did a quick search but couldn't find cheaper alternative.

Or do you select a chunk of data from the planet and it's just centered in the C4D space?

Unfortunately this both using the DEM or OSM data seems to just center your selected chunk at 0,0,0

I found a free program called GPS Babel that will export the .GPX file to various formats.

Looking at the OSM importer again and it gives you splines and is only 99 euros. GPS bable can export to OSM so I think between the two I can get a map with my route already on it into cinema 4D. I guess there wouldn't be accurate elevation data but for what I'm doing that could easily be "faked in"

Will try and test this when I have a chance.

Yes the plugin isn't cheap, but we haven't found anything comparable...and we do a lot of map-ish type stuff that makes it worth while.

The OSM Importer looks cool. As long as you can get the 2D path/route spline into C4D, you can always project it down on top of your DEM data. If it works out, let us know..

I struggled with this and eventually gave up as it was eating up way too much time. The problem was that the full OSM earthfile was way too big to load in cinema, and we couldn't find all the extracts we needed. We tried various ways to create the extracts ourselves using various software but the learning curve was too steep and we couldn't get it working. I even recruited a geographer friend of mine to help but still couldn't quite get it to work.

That OSm importer plugin is great tho.