Sign in to follow this  
chatton

Animating paper card transition with spline wrap (c4d)

Hi Everybody !

Here's a link to an effect i've been trying to reproduice :

None of attemps seemed to be working fine, i really hope you guys could enlighten me :)

here's what i tried :
I used a helix spline and a spline wrap deformer to deform my "sheet of paper/ card" along the spline.
At the beginning i want the paper to be still, then to animated along the spline.
I can't manage to get the paper card to animate properly, i'll always have weird angles or the paper card to disappear.

here's my c4d r14 file

http://we.tl/JOIo3Mecso

I know this might not be the most clear explanation, pardon my english.
Would you be aware of a better way to achieve this or a tutorial explaining that kind of animation ?

Thank you in advance, wish you all a great day !

Edited by chatton

thank you KingYellow, i hadn't thought of that actually !

I guess you're right, sometimes simplicity is way better, i'll try that tonight and upload my file here

Any chance you guys have other ideas ? i tried mograph with a spline effector, but didn't work as expected as well :/

http://greyscalegorilla.com/blog/tutorials/how-to-animate-a-page-turn-with-cinema-4d-and-planesmart-with-mike-the-monkey/

( ^_^)

here's my go at it. not exactly like your example but might get you a head start. it looks like the f-curves need to be finessed more and maybe the bend deformer tweaked. the problem with the bend deformer that i found is that it moved the plane from where i wanted so i had to keyframe it. i wonder what a different deformer would do. maybe the twist one? idk!

snag it:

http://we.tl/x1RFLfV1Zj

http://www.sendspace.com/file/dwwxdr

Edited by thekinginyellow

yeah thanks again KingYellow !

i saw this tutorial a while back and i guess you're right, definitly worth a shot !

I'll try that tonight with different deformers and will upload my file here as well :)

F-curves and tweaking hard times to come ahaha :)

it's not as difficult as you think! if you're familiar with the easing graph in after effects you should be able to handle f-curves in c4d! and by default c4d eases so you've already got a curve to play with.

well i tried, and i must say i found the begenning of a solution (using a bend deformer + a twist deformer) then animating the object manually, but either i suck at using this program, either i didn't understand something cause my outcome does the movement, it's just awful ahahah

is there a way i could auto-orient my paper card along its trajectory ?

is there a way to edit manually my point of the trajectory ? ( like you would edit bezier splines on your trajectory in after effects for instance)

Here's my project file again (c4d r14)

http://we.tl/tQMTNbwIQZ

hope i'll find a cleaner solution, for now i'll keep trying, but if you guys have any suggestions, you're more than welcome !

Thank you ^_^

if you want to control your trajectory you could play with "align to spline" tag. you have to manually draw your trajectory with the pen tool but your object can animated along the spline using a slider from 0 to 100. that might be the answer to keeping the paper from moving around when the deformer moves across it.

don't get frustrated, duder. c4d is worth it. just be patient and breathe!!!

nah, just tried align to spline and the deformer still made the paper slide. now i'm wondering if you could move the paper through a deformer instead of the deformer through the paper.

i'm wondering now if your spline wrap idea wasn't the best way! because the spline is the trajectory and you can control the rotation along the spline, too. what you have looks pretty good though!

Edited by thekinginyellow

thx dude !

But still isn't the greatest

Any clue on how to control the object orientation with the spline wrap ?

Cause whenever i animate the strength my object goes into crazy crazy between 0% and 100% strength.

I can't manage to get it working properly cause either my object disappears at 0% strength (due to orientation problems i guess), nor it makes incomprehensible rotations when animating the strength from 0% to 100%

Here's an example file, just play with the strength slider of the spline wrap deformer, you'll get what my problem is.

http://we.tl/uOZOv1q80i

any idea on how i could just animate from the static original position of my card to animating along the spline, and then get it in the final staight position ?

Edited by chatton

pageflippy.jpg

move that keyeframe over like in the pic. for some reason if you don't the paper will pop onto the final placement. something to do with the spline wrap keyframes. anyway, do that above and it will animate smoothly!!!

so, it's not 100% like your example. i think if you mess with the tightness of the keyframes, the spline shape and maybe play with the rotation curve within the spline wrap you might get something closer. good luck! thanks for the challenge.