Sign in to follow this  
eliss

3D Mouse

Its not really about improved ergonomics.

The benefit for me is just speed of moving around the viewport. I use a wacom and hate using the second, higher button on it. I never bend my finger way up there. So panning around has been via the little icon with little room. Even spinning around is easier than alt+click dragging everywhere. Its a different way of thinking on how to move around the viewport, but once you get the hang of it and have each function mapped inverted/not inverted to what feels best for you, navigating is extremely faster, and your mouse / wacom is free to do always be doing work.

I had really bad shoulder pain a few years back that eventually went down my arm and into my hand making it almost impossible to work.

Sorted it out with improving the overall ergonomics of my workstation, monitor height and all that stuff, big part of this was getting an Aeron chair, worth every penny.

Switched to using a wacom and also did some physio and learned a bunch of stretches I do periodically throughout the day.

I had this happen last year. It was devastating. In the middle of a pantload of stressful projects and I couldn't even concentrate on the work. I spent all my time adjusting to avoid the twangs and nerve pinches, being all doped out on painkillers - it was embarrassing.

And just like when you have a toothache you compensate for the pain by chewing on the opposite side of your mouth - yeah all the avoidance of using my right arm lead to twangs in my left side.... Middle of my shoulder blade, up my neck and down my right arm to the fingertips. I realized that my sitting position and posture was horrible.

Definitely get up and walk around often through out the day - this shit is just too dangerous to your livelihood to not take seriously. The 5 Tibetan Rites series of movements a couple of times a day really help - give it a try. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Tibetan_Rites

Which one and do you work with C4D?

I've never seen anyone using one of these exotic devices!

I have the SpaceMouse Pro, and yes, I work in C4D.

I will be working a bit on a 3d project today and will try to do a screen capture & webcam of my hand using that for a bit to give you a demo of what its like.

Edited by AromaKat

Its not really about improved ergonomics.

Yeah I guess I should have clarified that I speaking more to the people talking about shoulder pain etc. I just meant that if tendonitis keeps coming up in your life, there may be more to it than the tool you're using.

Which one and do you work with C4D?

I've never seen anyone using one of these exotic devices!

As promised, here is a bit of me working today so you can get a sense of how it works.

I also use a Space Navigator (I haven't splurged on the pro yet) and it has been a big game changer for me. I've always felt the standard way to move around the viewport quite awkward. You can only use one move at a time. With the Space Navigator, you can be rotating and zooming and panning all at the same time. So easy to get around your scene. I have found it invaluable for quickly setting up multiple cameras for use with Steady Glide or camera morphing.

I highly recommend it, and the Space Navigator isn't really all that expensive.

-Spunj

I'm looking at getting a Space Navigator to use with Cinema4D. How easy is it to switch from the navigator controlling the cam to the navigator controlling an object in the scene?

As far as I can tell, you can't directly manipulate the coordinates of a selected object. In case you are asking how to not to be in camera mode, its possible on a per-application basis to the invert settings to feel more like entire stage is being manipulated rather than the camera. For example, if I twist the control, the stage rotates and the center of my screen remains the point of interest. Not inverted, if I twist, the camera turns and looks away from everything. Everyone's brain works a bit differently, so the settings just have to be toyed with for a while until you find what works for you.

Also, anyone who is thinking of getting one should definitely get the one with the buttons. The cheaper, smaller one with just the joystick thing would require constantly moving your hand back and forth between the 3d controller and keyboard.

I've had a Spacemouse Navigator for the last several years and love it. It takes a short time to get used to, but once you do, you can simply imagine a spot in your scene and magically navigate there precisely as if you were in a helicopter. Well worth it and works great in conjunction with a Wacom tablet.

Mine arrived today :)

Really intuitive to use and it has a solid build quality.

It is possible to manipulate the position and rotation of objects inside of Cinema4D, as well as controlling the cameras. "Navigate" and "Fly" modes control the cams, "Move" mode controls the selected object.

"Navigate" and "Fly" modes control the cams, "Move" mode controls the selected object.

Which one model you get? How are you getting to these modes? I don't have mine in front of me at the moment, but I feel like I toyed with every button and setting without ever running into this.

Which one model you get? How are you getting to these modes? I don't have mine in front of me at the moment, but I feel like I toyed with every button and setting without ever running into this.

I got the basic Space Navigator model. It's right next to my Wacom tablet, so if I stretch my thumb out I can get to the side buttons.

The modes are under the TOOLS/3D Connexion menu. Maybe they were added into Cinema4D in a recent version.