Sign in to follow this  
Spikes of Motion

New PC Build

Hello,

I know similar topics have already been brought up but bear with me. This is my first build so I'm posting this info in a couple different forums to get as much feedback as possible.

Uses: Adobe Suite, 3ds Max and C4D. Plus at some point there will probably be some gaming.

Budget: $2000 - 2500

Parts Vendor: Going to Price Match what I can at the local Fry's here in Vegas.

Peripherals: Have 2 Monitors, Keyboard, mouse and speakers already.

PARTS:

Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 550D Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $139.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139012&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 PRO LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with USB BIOS - $319.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131800

Graphics Card: EVGA 02G-P4-2678-KR GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - $379.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130787&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Power Supply: CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - $129.99 (w/rebate)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139010

Processor: Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73930K - $569.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116492

SSD: Samsung 840 Series 2.5 inch 120GB SATA III internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-7TD120BW - $100.92
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Series-120GB-internal-MZ-7TD120BW/dp/B009NHAF06/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10 - $102.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233246&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

HD: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive (x2) - $79.99 each x2 = $159.98
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148840

I would like to have a RAID 1 configuration

CD/DVD Drive: ASUS Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 12X DVD-RAM 8X BD-ROM 8MB Cache SATA Blu-ray Burner BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS - $79.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135252&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64bit OEM - $139.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116992

-- Can I get the OEM version if I'm not re-selling?

CPU Fan: CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Water Cooler - $101.98
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=35-181-032&Tpk=35-181-032

-- All feedback is appreciated & any alternatives that could save me some $$$

Case: Looks like a nice case, but full tower cases are better for expansions. With that case, you might end up fighting with bay space, etc. Keep in mind that you will likely want things like USB3, Firewire, eSATA, etc on the front where it is easily accessible. That case just has 2 usb3 ports. Boo! Also, be sure that you have enough hard drive caddies for now, and for later.

Motherboard: That was the motherboard I was wanting with my recent build, but damn are they hot. Its hard to find them in stock. I opted for the Rampage IV Extreme instead. I am curios what that on-board SSD caching is like, though.

Graphics Card: Sure. I read that some people that like to overclock prefer it over the 680. If you are looking to save money, drop down to a 560 or above. Until you hit the GTX 680, there isn't much of an architectural difference.

Power Supply: Gold series is great. Just be sure you are packing enough juice. Should be enough, but it wouldn't hurt (or draw more power) to have a 1k - 1.2k watt.

Processor: I am loving that processor.

SSD: Trust me, you will throw out a 120gb SSD within a couple months. Get a 240 gb. Make sure that its Sata III and that its being connected to the mobo via a sata III port.

RAM: Not enough ram. That processor will give you 12 cores in the OS. Adobe will try to allocate 2gb min per core, just for AE. You need at least 24 gigs plus extra to support whatever else you have open. Get 32 gigs and you will be fine.

HD: You need to check and make sure your configuration / motherboard supports as many sata III ports as you seem to be planning on. You will only get 6Gbps when using a sata III port, which sometimes means they cannot be configured for raid, depending on your board. I would suggest getting normal drives (no caching, not 6gbps / sata III). Get 2 for your "work" drive where you save stuff you cannot lose. Depending on what type of work you do, you may want to get another 2-4 and raid 0 that array, providing you with speed to read large, re-ingestable media.

CD/DVD Drive: If optical discs aren't dead to you yet, sure. I archive projects on Blu-ray discs. I don't know of any reasons beyond that to have optical media. If you don't archive to BD, just get a $10 optical drive to install your OS on.

OS: Yes, get the OEM. But get Windows 8. We just had windows 7 automatic updates totally screw us last week, and the basic response we got was that they don't really check against hardware on win7 any more before releasing patches like they used to (but do on win8). So you will get a blue screen of death when an update doesn't play nice with your hardware. Besides, win8 is bad-ass and its been nothing but solid for me. Have had it on the laptop with all same software since it was released, and have had ZERO issues.

CPU Fan: make sure your case can support it. Its a monster of a cooler, and a HUGE pain in the ass to install. But with it + the same processor you have here, I am getting 4.7ghz stable.

----------------------------

Other notes:

Secondary, smaller SSD on sata III: Get a 60 - 120 GB sata III ssd for all application cache. You have no idea how much faster everything will run when you do that. Caches are nice, but buggy. The best and fastest way of fixing said bugs is to format the drive when apps start acting up, which you can't do if the cache is set to your OS drive.

Hot-swap drive mount in a drive bay: Get something like this and you won't regret it. Hot swap naked drives without shutting down, etc.

Firewire: You neeeeeed a card that supports firewire 400 AS WELL AS firewire 800. Otherwise, you will never be able to work on something coming from a mac-head. While you are at it, pick up a copy of macdrive.

Edited by AromaKat

Graphics Card: Sure. I read that some people that like to overclock prefer it over the 680. If you are looking to save money, drop down to a 560 or above. Until you hit the GTX 680, there isn't much of an architectural difference.

SSD: Trust me, you will throw out a 120gb SSD within a couple months. Get a 240 gb. Make sure that its Sata III and that its being connected to the mobo to a sata III port.

RAM: Not enough ram. That processor will give you 12 cores in the OS. Adobe will try to allocate 2gb min per core, just for AE. You need at least 24 gigs plus extra to support whatever else you have open. Get 32 gigs and you will be fine.

----------------------------

Other notes:

Secondary, smaller SSD on sata III: Get a 60 - 120 GB sata III ssd for all application cache. You have no idea how much faster everything will run when you do that. Caches are nice, but buggy. The best and fastest way of fixing said bugs is to format the drive when apps start acting up, which you can't do if the cache is set to your OS drive.

Firewire: You neeeeeed a card that supports firewire 400 AS WELL AS firewire 800. Otherwise, you will never be able to work on something coming from a mac-head. While you are at it, pick up a copy of macdrive.

Thanks for the response AromaKat!

Which Case do you prefer? I went with that one because it was simple looking & has good reviews. I don't want a laser show in my office

Which 560 card would you recommend?

Is there a 240 gb SSD that you recommend over another?

Can I stick with Corsair Vengeance brand but just get 32 instead?

- Thanks again

I have Corsair SSDs and Ram.

If looking at gtx cards, just stick with manufacturers you have heard of before and you should be fine. I tend to stick with EVGA though.

I loooooove Cooler Master's Cosmos cases. I have 3 Cosmos cases in the office, and built the new machine with a Cosmos II. The Cosmos II offers USB3 and all that. The original cosmos cases have been with me for 6ish years now, housing many different builds over that time.

They are big, but they are solid, metal, and not really gamer-looking. The Cosmos II has a nice matte black finish. There is an LED in the front fan, but a button to turn it off. They are a bit expensive, but its super-easy to pop open, slide out a hard drive and get back to work without the need for tools. Plenty of room to work in as well. Fan controls, etc... Its great to turn those down for quiet but up for when your rendering.

Hmm, I've read about CPU bottlenecking the graphics card, but not the other way around. Although I can see how a weak graphics card would slow down your productivity.

Gezusz. The last thing I have time for is building/upgradinga computer as complex as all this -- every 2-3 years. All the caveats and such. And pricetag. I just want to make art. ;)

I hate upgrading computers for a few reasons. The guy from Boss Films I think made a statement that he paid IBM a million dollars for parrallel processing that is slower than his current laptop. I can't wait for our future already dammit!

Maybe I should cut back on my internet rants. That might free up some mental intellectual bandwidth for my art and tech. LOL

Will a less powerful graphics card slow down that processor at all? A guy in Tom's Hardware mentioned that and I'm still waiting to see if anyone refutes it or agrees with it.

While its not entirely wrong it doesn't apply much to anything you are doing. If you are running applications that COULD use your graphics card rather than your CPU, then sure. Like.... mining bitcoins. Or brute-force cracking passwords.

For us, no. His statement doesn't apply all that much (yet). Multiple layers of video playback in editing without needing to render, improved shading in your 3d software viewport, etc would come into play, but..... it wouldn't mean that your CPU takes the load instead.

An increase in GTX model number does not mean an increase in performance, anyway.

Check this out:

http://www.hwcompare.com/13473/geforce-gtx-560-vs-geforce-gtx-650/

Edited by AromaKat

I do not see the point of paying more that 1,000USD for a computer. The performance gains are negligible. just buy a new one next year.

This is my formula that i stick too. It's not very scientific. but it serves me well.

-CPU - check out cinebench scores, calculate $/point, get the most efficient. ussually will be the one for about $200. (i always go for intel)

-Motherboard - Gigabyte - 100 - $150. make sure there is enough room for ram.

-HDD - i prefer a couple of 500Gb ones. rather than the big 1tb ones. not sure why. $50 - $100

-SSD - still overpriced in my opinion. Yeah your computer boots faster. But once everything you're working with is in your ram, you dont notice the difference. maybe for video editing it is more noticable. for cache and what not.

-RAM - $100 worth of ram is ussually sufficient. Don't buy the slowest. Go midrange.

-Video card. $300 Nvidia card. ussually its the 460,560,660, you get the point. $300 ussually gets you the one just above midrange.

-PSU - dont' cheap out on this. spend $100 instead of the $50.

-Case - $100 about.

and there you have it $950.

Best thing? minimal stress when buying it. It stops being such a big decision. Because you can always just get a new one. Computer componenet have become all very standard. Just don't cheap out ( cheaped out on my LCD... bought one for $120, with LCD's i think the rule of thumb is $250).

And if you buy a new one every year, your speed goes up buy about 30% id say, but with each year you get another render node.

I have a pretty similar setup, the 3930k is awesome and is so easily overclockable, especially with that cooler. Your Asus/Intel 3930k/Evga should be hackintoshable if you feel like going that route.. Recently on a project that involved a mac-only plugin, and I have almost the same setup, except gigabyte x79 board and GTX 550 Ti. OSX 10.8.3 has pretty good support out of the box for Nvidia cards now, so I'm currently testing the hackintosh setup to see if it's a feasible long-term option.

Thanks Grundly,

I'll check out that MoBo and that video card. Please let me know how the hakintosh goes. I might be interested in setting something like that up in the future.

Vozz,

I can understand not investing too much $$ now since tech changes so quickly. But I don't really want to deal with getting a new computer every year. The one I have at home I've been working on for nearly 4 years and the same with the one at work. The Mac at work can run CS6 pretty well...not so much my PC at home but it wasn't as spec'd out as my work Mac to begin with.

I do not see the point of paying more that 1,000USD for a computer. The performance gains are negligible. just buy a new one next year.

This is my formula that i stick too. It's not very scientific. but it serves me well.

-------------

Best thing? minimal stress when buying it. It stops being such a big decision. Because you can always just get a new one. Computer componenet have become all very standard. Just don't cheap out ( cheaped out on my LCD... bought one for $120, with LCD's i think the rule of thumb is $250).

And if you buy a new one every year, your speed goes up buy about 30% id say, but with each year you get another render node.

Interesting point of view Vozzz. I feel like you're right on the $1000+ vs negligible part. And that next year buying a new one would lead to speed increases anyway. Not convinced, but you've made a pretty compelling case (no pun intended). :)

For you, does this entail just replacing the parts inside, or also the case et al every year? Can't you just replace the innards for a couple years? Does this work out?

Edited by BoArlander

the case is just $80, and keeping an extra functioning computer is always good.

re: 4 years. ok, so you buy a computer for half the price and use it for 3 years, pretend you bought it last year :) you don't have to buy a new computer every year, im just saying its cheaper and you get more power over the course of a couple of years.

the main point being. If you look at cinebench scores. spend 1k vs 3k you get like a 30% gain max. And the question is, is that worth it? Even if you do all your computer shopping now. I rather have 3 x 1k boxes, and use the other 2 as nodes for a 30% drop on my main box.

[actually]: considering you only need a powerful gfx card on your main block, your nodes would be like $600 each. so for the extra 2k you can get 3 nodes. To handle renders and what not.

Edited by vozzz

I agree.

1k.... Not going to cut it.

Expect it to be right around 2.5k.

I'd like to know what you built with 4.2k, edrhine! I suspect dual xeon and/or quadro.

Edited by AromaKat

Id like to know what you built for 4.2k too. and also what you are planning on upgrading in it.

ok ill partly take back what i said. when you get to 4.2k territory, you do indeed go into dual cpu territory which does offer a significant performance boost.

Personally id still buy a bunch of nodes. But i can see how working on a 4.2k rig would have some noticable differences to working on a 1k rig :D

Personally id still buy a bunch of nodes.

Correct me if I am wrong, but you pretty much stay in C4D and do minimal AE, right?

If staying within c4d, then more nodes and less horsepower makes sense. But when a client is on a couch behind you, they don't stick around for long or come back after realizing each ram preview takes 10 minutes to see.

Edited by AromaKat

Does anyone ever get the feeling that Steve Jobs put the new MacPro in his will to have it buried with him?

-gl

Now that you mention it...that's what I would do if I were him. Oh shit, I almost cried... Steve!!! Come back!!!!

:)

So here is the basics of what I got. Please forgive me for not remembering the actual product numbers on the parts. If someone really needs to know I can look it up. Looked up the receipt last night and with everything all said and done both machines were about 7.5K so my original estimate was a bit off. Here is the rough pieces and parts though.

ASUS Pro Server MB

i7 3970X CPU over clocked to 4.5

64 gig ballistic 1600 Mhz RAM

Nvidia 670 GTX 4 gig Ram video card

Self contained water cooling unit

Samsung 250 gig boot SSD

250 Gig Vertex 4 cache SSD

2x1TB 10K RPM Raptor Drives

Overall I looked at a build of BOXX tech and upgraded what I needed. The thing smokes though. I was working in a comp that was a 3D composite at 1920x3240 on a MP 12 core from 2010 and it would beachball for like a minute on each frame and on the new machine I can almost scrub the timeline in realitme at half res.

Overall we switched to the PC side so that we can upgrade CPU and GPU or add more GPU with ease.

I must note that we also have 4 PC builds for render nodes, so this machine was only for responsiveness and work speed

So here is the basics of what I got. Please forgive me for not remembering the actual product numbers on the parts. If someone really needs to know I can look it up. Looked up the receipt last night and with everything all said and done both machines were about 7.5K so my original estimate was a bit off. Here is the rough pieces and parts though.

ASUS Pro Server MB

i7 3970X CPU over clocked to 4.5

64 gig ballistic 1600 Mhz RAM

Nvidia 670 GTX 4 gig Ram video card

Self contained water cooling unit

Samsung 250 gig boot SSD

250 Gig Vertex 4 cache SSD

2x1TB 10K RPM Raptor Drives

Overall I looked at a build of BOXX tech and upgraded what I needed. The thing smokes though. I was working in a comp that was a 3D composite at 1920x3240 on a MP 12 core from 2010 and it would beachball for like a minute on each frame and on the new machine I can almost scrub the timeline in realitme at half res.

Overall we switched to the PC side so that we can upgrade CPU and GPU or add more GPU with ease.

I must note that we also have 4 PC builds for render nodes, so this machine was only for responsiveness and work speed

Any reason why you went with the 3970 over the 3930?

Yeah, not terribly so... but a higher cache and GHz speed. Also what the BOXX machines are running and was trying to mirror the performance of a workstation I got to test but on the cheap (or cheaper than a box build at least).

It sounds like you have fairly the same build, but with about $1k worth of premium parts like the 3970 over the 3930 and the 10k rpm drives.

If you can swing it, go for the 3970. I personally couldn't find a reason for it being worth 2x the price though. Maybe the cache plays a bigger role in performance in apps we use than I give credit for, I don't know.

Here are some comparisons between the two: http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-3970X-vs-Intel-Core-i7-3930K

10k rpm drives do provide a theoretical increase of 28% in performance, but I assume it would be only noticeable if running an OS from the drive. I don't see performance issues running off 7200rpm drives. Maybe if my head was in more of an editing world I would notice, but in AE, nothing has led me to believe a bottleneck lied within my drive disks other than what is used for the cache drive. For the cost of two 10k disks I would start looking into setting up a raid 10 on 4 7200rpm disks.

BTW - Since you are going to Frys, if you ask for a price match on the 3930k you will get it for $380 instead of $550. I don't know where the price match is from because the guy just hooked me up and said that he saw it the other day for that price.