Sign in to follow this  
Aaron Scott

Anyone want to start a blog?

There are a number of things that get brought up fairly often on the forum, and I've been thinking about doing a few tutorials. I've been wondering, though, if pairing up with a few people and starting a blog makes more sense. We could even do something official (blog.mograph.net, anyone?). I'm sure a number of us could share useful advice. Even if no one ever updates it, it would at least create some sort of permanent resource we could point people towards.

These are the AE topics I was planning on initially tackling:

- Fixing depth of field halos
- Chain rendering
- The 'blob' effect
- Pre-comping 3D effects (like Particular) while maintaining your 3D camera
- Actually useful expressions

What do people think?

I'm thinking of something a little more...editorial. I was more picturing something people could subscribe to for the occasional "hey, I didn't know you could do that", while also tackling some of the more common topics that come up.

hmmm.... sounds like an advanced edition of AE Tuts+

I would offer help, but I already super-flaked on Binky with the mograph wiki refresh. I don't want to promise time I can't deliver on.

- Actually useful expressions

I tend to think there's an awful lot of that on my stuff site, Motionscript and AEscripts, partially contained in scripts of course. Beyond that it's in the very nature of a programming language that what one user will rave about is another user's everyday trivial oneliner. The problem is not that people can't find or use expressions, it's that they simply don't understand them and get worked up on simple things like additions even. Providing more copy&paste snippets on a website will not change that - people will use the code, but understand it not a bit more than they did before.

Mylenium

Go for it. I'd certainly like to see a site like that, which has little tips that solves problems and answers questions people ask on the forum, but in a way that easy to navigate. Sometimes you find such great little explainations that are hidden in a post from 2009.

I really love Joren's quick C4D tips on The Pixel Lab... little workflow tips or "Hey, ever had that problem? Here's how to fix it" videos. Short and sweet.

As far as contributers go... how do you see that playing out? Would you ask for submissions, or give logins to trusted sources, or keep it open for anybody, or approach people to make quick video explainations of problems they solve, or just make a lot of the content yourself? It would take a lot of legwork to actually get it up and running, and to generate enough content to keep people coming back, make it stick as a resource. Do you have the time and motivation to take this by the scruff of the neck and allocate enough time to it?

As far as contributers go... how do you see that playing out? Would you ask for submissions, or give logins to trusted sources, or keep it open for anybody, or approach people to make quick video explainations of problems they solve, or just make a lot of the content yourself? It would take a lot of legwork to actually get it up and running, and to generate enough content to keep people coming back, make it stick as a resource. Do you have the time and motivation to take this by the scruff of the neck and allocate enough time to it?

I think I'd want to have a few people as administrators who would be interested in producing some original content. I've made many, many websites before--some of them quite large and successful--so the legwork doesn't scare me at all. As far as the actual time and motivation...I'm not sure. It's why I wanted to send out feelers now, before I actually started thinking too hard about it. If the answer from most people is "meh", then it's probably not worth the time anyway and I'll post what content I have to my own site. If there were a handful of people who were really enthusiastic, it might light the fire under my ass to start working on it.

As it currently stands...I'm getting a sense of more "meh" than anything else.

Not sure if it's mostly "meh", but I'm simply not clear how you envision it to work and I'm not sure it will pan out. Isn't that the way of all such projects - start out with grand promises and after 2 years be some tiny dirt spec on the web because people don't have the time or interest to contribute anymore?! And again, educating people about expressions with random posts on a more generalized blog doesn't strike me as a suitable approach. You could run a whole site just on that, but looking at the sad shambles of AEnhancers and the barely noticable activity on AEScripts, I'm not sure there's a market for it...

Mylenium

I'd vote for 'go for it'! I'm kinda feeling you where you are going with this, I feel like there is a slight void of an overall, high-quality motion resource sites. There are a lot of very 'specific' resource sites for certain things, but some are kinda sketchy looking... Like AETuts, it just feels like a big advertisement, although a good beginner resource. Maybe aiming at higher quality solutions could attract some users beyond the beginner level. It could be easy to go through old posts on this forum, where some smart people have offered some really intelligent solutions, and compile those into some nicely written and visual posts. I think it could be good...

Edited by Grundly

I think you would just have to start out small in scale with a bunch of contributors and then see where it goes. There are so many sites out there, but then again with some good tuts that wont matter. Again, I would be down to help out and start with a few on AE and C4D. I have wanted to do a small tuts section on my own personal site, but the website and backend has been prohibitive while running a business. Lemme know

You could run a whole site just on that, but looking at the sad shambles of AEnhancers and the barely noticable activity on AEScripts, I'm not sure there's a market for it...

AEScripts has low activity?!?

I have purchased everything there is to purchase on there!

This thread kicks in every couple of years, actually, and for good reason. As mentioned, the mographwiki was the first incarnation of this particular train of thought. And the whole "repository of tips n' tricks" idea was at the center of it, but what ended up being vastly more used was the self-promotional aspect. The industry directory. Because in its current state, the site fails to reveal its own much vaster potential to any casual audience.

The problem is that the site you're proposing is really a "what the editor(s) wants to talk about this week" structure, when the audience wants a "what I need right this minute" solution. So the audience ends up being a smattering of people coming from google searches when their query matches overlap one of your 20 posts and there's not already a more established site with the same general answer. So there's kind of two solutions to that, as a site: you're either better looking AND more entertaining AND a better teacher so that people pick you over creative cow when google returns both results, or you figure out how to provide a really comprehensive education so that people come to you first before resorting to google (ie. they feel like you'll have what they want, cuz you got everything). With a shit ton of ongoing work, a select team of designers, developers, and editors can achieve the first solution, but probably not the second. With an initial development investment in creating an open, decentralized and public format, however, you can maybe achieve the second solution, and potentially incorporate some of the first.

That second strategy is what the mographwiki was attempting. And despite the fact that it never even got halfway finished, it's still sputtering along under it's own power somehow. Thousands of people have built up the industry directory, and I still see producers using it to find help. So that means that it works, in theory.

My argument is this: the mographwiki is a preexisting structure with loads of industry data already on it, and a slight bit of community recognition. A redesign has been done and is awaiting implementation which allows for all manner of industry-related content, like an expressions repository, or an article about fixing whatever the fuck depth of field halos are. So if someone can just get the thing patched together, it's a cheap, easy, relatively self-supporting structure for exactly what you're talking about, and more. Rather than starting up yet another backwater blog that will quickly reduce to 2 or 3 posts per month, why not fix what we already have, and let a mob of thousands fill it?

The way I would see this being successful is for it to have a really top-notch UI, it does need more than just 20 or so posts to be a viable resource, and it needs to be easy to navigate, categorise and search. That's the problem... it's so much harder to keep tabs on that kind of thing if it's decentralised... and as Binky says, we already have a good resource in mographwiki for that already - which is a much better base to build upon.

As it currently stands...I'm getting a sense of more "meh" than anything else.

I think this is because many are thinking along the same lines as me. I'd love to get involved but with other commitments I wouldn't be able to make it my first priority on a day to day basis, or even my second priority, but maybe my third or fourth. It's easy to let things like that be neglected so with that in mind I wouldn't want to make promises I can't keep.

You should check out the bomb re-design Binky put together for the mograph wiki. The functionality just needs to be thought out and implemented.

I think I still own mograph.org or something like that. I will gladly push it over to whoever takes the lead on this.

AEScripts has low activity?!?

I have purchased everything there is to purchase on there!

You misunderstand and I think Binky's comment puts it best: It's not about providing stuff to people that you and I may think people will need based on our views and our terms, it's about what people will really want. AEScript sells stuff, it's not necessarily a "community" thing. .jsxbin files don't do any good in terms of teaching people something about scripts or expressions, which ultimately is my point. Maybe there's a new script coming out every week over there and it may in fact be useful and the guys doing them have all the best intentions, but I rarely have ever even downloaded the free stuff. When I get scripts or expressions, I want to modify them to suit my own workflows, not be stuck with something that the original developer thought was cool, but doesn't help me in a given situation nor helps me learn how to do things better. AEnhancers was much better at that, but it just lost its pull somewhere along the line and now that everyone is making a quick buck on AEScripts, it's just sitting there to rot.

Mylenium

Looks like this thread died again.

Well, if anyone's got the energy, here's a starting point.

I could certainly be persuaded to put more love into it.

vqpe02.jpg2h5174x.jpg2nqh4qr.jpg

That is a HUGE improvement over the current Mograph wiki site. I have neither the ability or time to help with or work on implementing any of that...

but I'd happily throw money towards someone who who does.

would this make a worthwhile kickstarter / croud funded project?

A fair amount of programming has already been done. I threw in about $600 to get a foundation of sorts. Apparently, something about it got hacked bad enough for dreamhost to go into my account and delete it because it was causing huge problems on their end.

An older version before we started tweaking it can be seen here though:

http://project21c.com/demo/mographwiki/

Not too much was lost from Dreamhost nuking it.

It was hosted on mograph.org - a domain I still have. I'd be happy to pass this along to whoever wants to continue the build.

I have the code, but apparently with the hack still implemented. The folder on my server is now called mograph.org_DISABLED_BY_DREAMHOST_FOR_EXPLOIT

Edited by AromaKat