Sign in to follow this  
Grundly

Octane for C4D released

Looks neat, but people complaining about Autodesk's or Adobe's licensing system will be equally put off by their rigid licensing... It's causing a lote of hating on other 3D forums for apps that can already use Octane...

Mylenium

i have an ATI card, so i'm wondering if its worth trying with that. would love to see some speed comparisons (with / without GPU) with AR or vray.

yeah, CUDA is for nVidia only ... i hoped for OpenCL / Ati Stream for a while, but i don't see that coming . i may be wrong though. Anyway, what i meant is whether Octane can be used without CUDA. Is it significantly slower, or will it even run with ATI ? I'm mostly interested in Octane because of the price tag, but if i'd have to get good nvidia card too, i might as well just go with vray, or stick to AR.

It doesn't run at all without a suitable GPU. The cloud version that allegedly can give you up to 128 GPUs over the net might, but that's quite some time away.

Mylenium

I saw someone playing with it on their laptop. Looked good, and they said a 10 second 1080p animation with heavy hdri / chrome took 7 hours on a gtx 540.

I am guessing that you can use a render farm since they have that cloud option looming. This is one of many signs that my little render farm will soon be pointless.

Does anyone have experience with the ease of use with the C4D plugin? This looks like an amazing tool, but the demo does not seem to be out as of yet. Pumped to try it though!

So how easy is it really to use with your C4D scenes? I guess I am really interested in the getting up to speed times for that. Also, does anyone know if having multiple video cards in SLI mode would help this?

CUDA performance should scale with multiple cards, not necessarily SLI required. Though you have to keep in mind the limitations - working with lots of textures may still load them redundantly localyl on each card and nullify any potential gains. and at some point naturally you'll simply exhaust your system's PCI bandwidth no matter what...

Mylenium

@edrhine I've used Octane for a few months now... last time I checked SLI made no difference. The best use of two cards is assigning 1 to Octane for rendering and getting Windows/OSX to use the other for display. If you don't have a spare card, Octane makes your machine grind to a halt while rendering in the background.

The standalone app is node based. By my own humble standards it's improved the quality of my event visualisations by about 300%. Although the downside of course is that at directors/account managers can pretty much hover next to me and direct as the renders are so fast...

I'm in, I'm sold. There are some limitations, but mainly speed and quality make me happy. The limitations may be a dealbreaker for the crowd here (no C4D shaders, only bitmap textures and a few proprietary octane nodes). Its not as integrated as Vray yet, but it is still in beta!

I just wrote up my initial thoughts after noodling around for a week or so in a new blog here: http://www.mattfrodsham.com/octane

(I'm using the integrated plugin)

hmmm... I will check it out. Thanks. I recently tried to install the demo and caused C4D to crash on launch. Contacted support three times and not much help so kind of gave up. If I have time I will try again and give it a shot. Thanks for the info.

I just wrote up my initial thoughts after noodling around for a week or so in a new blog here: http://www.mattfrodsham.com/octane

Thanks for the write up Matt - nice to see how the integrated version shapes up. I've messed with the standalone, and loved the quality and painless way it dealt with physical camera qualities - dof, blurry floors etc - it was a really liberating to feel as though I was framing a shot through a camera lens, not a 3D viewport. The missing C4D shaders are a concern, but I'll certainly be following how it progresses - for the right sort of job Octane looks too good to miss.

a- because of the way the camera system works I think you would run into distortion mismatch trying to use C4D passes (like Vray if you don't use 'pinhole'.. but I'm not sure if there is a recipe to match C4D's 'non-physical' distortion)

b- Octane's multipass appears lacklustre so far in terms of what you would use (but Vray's lack of AA passes made it useless anyway - coming in 'the new update' we're waiting on since 2011?). Depth, normals, alpha I think is all you get. So in a practical sense you would end up doing what we've been doing for years in Vray if we want physical distortion (because the object buffers don't work there either) and just outputting hacked together alpha/luma mattes.

*Edit: There are some cool extra passes (if they work? I dunno).. Full list:

Geometric Normals

Shading normals

Position

Z dpth

Material ID

Texture Coordinates

Wire

Hope that helps!

Edited by froj

hey matt saw the post, how are you getting on with the two 660's?

I have one 660, and the the stock 5770 and just bought an octane license, but getting a 2nd 660 seems a no brainer for my 2012 Mac Pro, just wanted to see if you had any updates?

Edited by creativebloke

Yeah I think it's one of those functions that doesn't work yet. Of course you should ask on the otoy forums for an official answer but I think you have to rebuild them.