Sign in to follow this  
jaypeeare

BioShock Infinite

Hey all you Mographers that are gamers, anyone here getting BioShock Infinite? I picked up mine at midnight last night, or this morning? I played for a couple of hours after I got home from picking it up.

My first thoughts on the game is that it's quite a beautiful game, the first thing I really noticed was the lighting was quite exceptional. Found myself wondering around the floating city for quite a bit, I mean the game sets you up to take in the environment once you start the game, but I think I wondered around a lot more then some typical people would. I've kept myself away from video games when I got out of high school, so my I've missed out one some big AAA titles for the last couple of years and I know there are some really amazing games that are already out but I think this game is going to break a couple of barriers for the gaming industry, mostly in the narrative area. That may possibly be because I've watched too many videos on Ken Levine, creator of the BioShock series, or I've been looking way into the technical development that was involved with creating the AI for the character Elizabeth, haha.

A interview with Ken at BAFTA:

Also while in line waiting for midnight to approach, I was staring at the poster for the game I was really curious to know if Booker was a real person in this photo or if it's CGI. My mind keeps on switching between a real photo that is high treated or a CGI that is really done well.

I'm pretty sure the Elizabeth character is real on the cover cause they actually found a Russian girl that had Cosplayed as Elizabeth when the images were released while they were still developing the game and decided to redesign the character's look towards the Russian girl.

Cover photo

Elizabeth Cosplay

Think I've obsessed on this game way too much...

Edited by jaypeeare

You are not alone....

I haven't bought this game yet, but will once I have the time.

One of my old college classmates is one of the many talented people at Irrational Games. He's been there 10+ years and is still cranking out fantastic work.

I've only been watching trailers for this game and haven't been following any of the development.

I've been looking for a good narrative game since Half Life 2 (which Valve needs to get off their ass and release something), Portal was definitely a can't miss game and I suspect Bioshock Infinite will raise the bar.

What platform did you buy it for?

I played the first hour or two before I went to bed last night. It's gorgeous. Just absolutely, stunning gorgeous.

I think the thing that's impressed me the most so far, though, is the density of detail. Everywhere you go there are a thousand things happening--kids playing, people having conversations, and so on. In most games these feel like one-off triggers, but they managed to make it feel incredibly organic. You really feel like you're just walking along and the world is playing out around you.

You are not alone....

I haven't bought this game yet, but will once I have the time.

One of my old college classmates is one of the many talented people at Irrational Games. He's been there 10+ years and is still cranking out fantastic work.

I've only been watching trailers for this game and haven't been following any of the development.

I've been looking for a good narrative game since Half Life 2 (which Valve needs to get off their ass and release something), Portal was definitely a can't miss game and I suspect Bioshock Infinite will raise the bar.

What platform did you buy it for?

Hahaha, well that makes me feel a bit better.

Damn, that's awesome that you know someone from Irrational. Must be awesome being part of such a stellar team of very creative and technical people. Although I have to admit I got a bit interested in all the "talk" about people working with Ken Levine. Apparently there have been some workers that have left the company due to Ken being "hard" to work with. He talks about in the BAFTA presentation for a bit, but I'm sure as he mentioned, it's just people not being able to deal with crunch time. What does your old classmate do over at Irrational, if you don't mind me asking?

Amen to Valve needing to make Half-Life 3! But they are Valve and I give them all the more reason to take there sweet time developing so it would be all the more epic when it does finally come out. Portal 2 was amazing, I love it probably more then Half-Life.

I got it for the Xbox.

I played the first hour or two before I went to bed last night. It's gorgeous. Just absolutely, stunning gorgeous.

I think the thing that's impressed me the most so far, though, is the density of detail. Everywhere you go there are a thousand things happening--kids playing, people having conversations, and so on. In most games these feel like one-off triggers, but they managed to make it feel incredibly organic. You really feel like you're just walking along and the world is playing out around you.

Pretty much my same thought. Some people talk to you, some people don't, and some people have pretty decent conversations that add to the backbone of Columbia to future engross you into the world.

He entered Irrational as a 3d modeller, but his talents far exceeded that. He graduated with a degree in illustration and got hired shortly thereafter. His role now is concept artist but I know he doesn't stick to just doing that. He's got his hands in everything, that's just the kind of guy he is. Painter, illustrator, sculptor, photographer and the list goes on.

Amen to Valve needing to make Half-Life 3! But they are Valve and I give them all the more reason to take there sweet time developing so it would be all the more epic when it does finally come out. Portal 2 was amazing, I love it probably more then Half-Life.

The fact that they touched on the 2 stories being intertwined made it that much better, now they need to just say something about it before another 5 years goes by.

So I finished the game over the weekend and all I have to say is that it is definitely a game that is a must play. It is all I wanted it to be and even more. If I could I would get down on two knees and bow down to Ken Levine.

My mind is still blown right now trying to put the pieces into place that were ever so cleverly put in threw out the game to make this epic story that came crashing down ever so hard on to my brain at the very end.

This is without a doubt a game that will be pushing video games as a stronger media to tell stories.

UmpOi.gif

The story was spectacular. Ken Levine knows how to put together a smart narrative.

I don't think I've ever felt so sad at the ending of a video game before.

That said, the game play was kind of meh. It's like he figured that he'd have to make the game really easy, so not overload the minds of the unwashed masses while trying to explain the idea of quantum theory.

Any one else remember system shock 2? Now that game was groundbreaking.

Edited by Spence

The story was spectacular. Ken Levine knows how to put together a smart narrative.

I don't think I've ever felt so sad at the ending of a video game before.

That said, the game play was kind of meh. It's like he figured that he'd have to make the game really easy, so not overload the minds of the unwashed masses while trying to explain the idea of quantum theory.

Any one else remember system shock 2? Now that game was groundbreaking.

He did indeed. It's funny that "Hollywood" rejected him when he pursued a career in screenplay writing and now he is successfully writing for video game and doing it so well that he is pushing the envelope.

The end of the game left a sting just like Inception did.

Yeah there is a lot to say about the game play, a couple new game mechanics introduced, but nothing over the top innovated. Like you said Spence, it's hard to hit that middle ground between too much crazy game play and actually telling a good narrative or even game play that works with enabling the narrative and I think that's where Elizabeth stepped in with doing that intelligently. It's not a revolutionary idea having an AI character follow you around but I think the way Ken and the Irrational team went about integrating her in the story was well done. There are many things that can go horribly wrong with having an AI follow on your adventure and I think they did a fantastic job on making Elizabeth not feel robotic or too intrusive threw out the adventure. By the end of the game I was invested in Elizabeth and those moments where she was separated from me, or the main character, I was in a panic to get her back.

I've never heard of System Shock until watching that BAFTA interview with Ken. I wouldn't be able to play it, my mind wouldn't be able to get over the quality of the graphics, haha.

System shock 2 is where Levine really came up with his formula for storytelling in video games.

He always takes the whole video game trope of the stoic amnesiac and turns it on it's head. (somewhat unfortunately, for his fans, you know there's going to be some insane twist popping up somewhere around 2/3rds of the way through the game)

Yeah, I don't think many people could stomach systemshock 2 in these days of gaming. The graphics are dated true, but it's more that the game play was extremely unforgiving. The hacking mini-game was challenging, necessary and didn't pause the game. Combine that with the fact that enemies constantly respawned, ammunition was scarce, there was absolutely no hand holding (if you chose the wrong skills, you basically had to start over) and the atmosphere was creepy as fuck, it's just too frustrating for today's gamer.

I've never heard of System Shock until watching that BAFTA interview with Ken. I wouldn't be able to play it, my mind wouldn't be able to get over the quality of the graphics, haha.

FWIW, SS2 was just re-released by GOG:

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/system_shock_2

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/02/after-protracted-legal-battle-system-shock-2-comes-to-gog-com/

Although there are texture upgrades and other mods available, I'd have to agree with Lee here:

"The greatest thing about System Shock 2, though, is that it doesn't need modernizing. When you're crawling through the tunnels beneath the botanical garden on deck 5, grimly searching through hastily buried bodies because you need the crew section access card, it doesn't matter that the graphics are low-poly and the textures are a bit blurry, because it's bloody terrifying. The air is thick with the clanking of the horribly disfigured cyber-midwife automatons, cooing their awful cooing to the bloated eggs which fill the crawlspaces. The dulcet tones of the mad artificial intelligence SHODAN echo in your ears, taunting and goading at the same time. You don't hear the parasite-infested crewman sneak up behind you until it screams "I'M SORRY!" and begins bludgeoning you with a wrench."

There's more to gaming than graphics and difficulty.

(the promoted comment at the bottom of the Ars article pretty much sums up my original experience too, all those years ago...)

-B.