Shops open and close all the time in this business. When bigger shops close the talents with in those companies pull together and form smaller boutiques and work their companies up. Another trend is alot of artist can work remotely now with the way the internet is set up you dont always need to do the 9-5 at an office you can do alot of this stuff from your own home office. I like how shops are popping up all over the place now instead of being centralized in NY,CHI, and LA it gives me hope I can relocate to Hawaii and still keep doing mograph for high profile clients not just local.

Funny how you think the state of a volatile industry is a sign of good news.

Anyone else who thinks this: Good luck with the long-term mortgage.

Funny how you think the state of a volatile industry is a sign of good news.

Anyone else who thinks this: Good luck with the long-term mortgage.

What's with all your hollier than thou smart ass responses to everyone. No wonder Vozzz wants to round house kick you in the back of the head.

What's with all your hollier than thou smart ass responses to everyone. No wonder Vozzz wants to round house kick you in the back of the head.

It's nothing personal. We simply disagree that it's good news when "shops open and close all the time" in the business.

Retirement? 401k? 8 hour days? Well atleast you will have died working for a top studio in the cream. Believe me, I'm right there with ya.

And for Vozzz, nothing personal against him. I even like him.

Wonder what Nick Cambell will look like by 70. That would be sweet if he still made videos. Bwahahaha

I hope I can sip martini's and run a mograph studio on an island too. I'd be the man. :)

wooh! supporters :D ( and with a public identity too!)

just to clarify though: im a very pacifist kinda guy and have no intention of round house kicking anyone in the head, especially from behind :)

I would say I have to look at this in a different light. Not sure how volatile it is instead of an ebb and flow. A company of 15 years standing in my town recently cut down to 3 people from 25+, while small 4-5 man shops like mine are thriving unbelievably. It seems to be a natural state where businesses get big and overhead does as well. then the business model changes and budgets change and what the company was built upon was no longer self sustaining. New shops form from the broken ones and things improve IMO. Our business is so new and evolving that companies are as well or rather need to be.

I would say I have to look at this in a different light. Not sure how volatile it is instead of an ebb and flow. A company of 15 years standing in my town recently cut down to 3 people from 25+, while small 4-5 man shops like mine are thriving unbelievably. It seems to be a natural state where businesses get big and overhead does as well. then the business model changes and budgets change and what the company was built upon was no longer self sustaining. New shops form from the broken ones and things improve IMO. Our business is so new and evolving that companies are as well or rather need to be.

Sure. It's new. Don't get me wrong guys I like a healthy debate. I'm doing well now too....now. I can see a lack of vision for the future here...just alot of poeple living in the now. No clue about starting their own studio, just happy to plod along dying in the name of cream shops. But not aiming for the C.R.E.A.M that wutang spoke about..

When you say thriving unbelievably. Are all your jobs tentpoles? Beyond your dayrate, is the company profiting?

Are things improving as you say? Improving for who? The client?

New shops form from the broken ones and things improve IMO.

So in 15 years...we will have C4D R29, CS21, Maya 2029, Element3D v15. Mnnnnn tutorials. ;)

if the best in the business are ebbing and flowing. Where will your shop be? Will you be able to grow beyond 4-5 manloads. What will you be able to charge?

Will you be able to put your mortgage and retirement on this ebbing and flowing mograph?

Edited by BoArlander

wooh! supporters :D ( and with a public identity too!)

just to clarify though: im a very pacifist kinda guy and have no intention of round house kicking anyone in the head, especially from behind :)

I sensed that. I was going to say, you sounded pacifist. I didn't want to get my ass beat on here. So I decided to redeem you. Haha.

:D

A company of 15 years standing in my town recently cut down to 3 people from 25+

I had heard this as a rumor, actually heard it was down to 1 person. This coming a year after they opened a new location. Any word on what happened over there? Not to get all up in someone elses business, but generally curious considering the size of the market.

Agreed^^. Lighten up, dude. You're not wrong...you're just an asshole.