I see alot of people still looking for confirmation about superfad. Let me elaborate.

Just call the office in LA. The voicemail says they no longer have an office.

Oh yeah, and try going to the website. ;)

Dang, not even a farewell, just a void in the internet.

Weird the site's back up now, but It was definitely down. Maybe they hoped to sneak away quietly and got wind of this post.

The LA voicemail definitely said LA office is shut down as of Fri March 22. Call for yourselves.

I called the NY# on the site, which just rings and rings, then shuts off with no voicemail.

Sadly, Superfad is in the process of closing it's doors. Unless you have some business with them, please don't call/email. These people have bigger fish to fry.

it might be true, but there its still all just rumours to me.

but even if its not. it doesn't look like they are going bankrupt or anything, they are just all going in different directions. they are finishing projects and they just couldn't agree on a single direction.

hardly seems like a bad thing.

and im really getting fed up with people who are hiding behind empty profile constantly insulting me... grow a pair...

[edit]: or act civilized...

Edited by vozzz

they just couldn't agree on a single direction.

Like... how to keep the lights on and make art. My guess is there was a fight over where to make the money and where to make the art. Each member having a different take...interactive, live-action, mograph, etc.

http://www.thefwa.com/interview/team-at-superfad

Edited by BoArlander

I smell a collective power play.

All shops within a month? Maybe they know more about a union actually about to kick off than I do and realize their business models are hosed.

"Mill TV has not been immune to the volatile trends present in film and television production. Therefore, yesterday we reluctantly announced a proposal to close Mill TV and are now in consultation with our employees about this proposal. Naturally, this is very disappointing: we have enjoyed a nine years of creating great work that everyone in The Mill is hugely proud of. We cannot engage in further questions on this matter throughout the collective consultation process."

Noooooooooooo

If anyone has paid real attention to the mograph market. Very few companies have lasted very long. If they have they've had a rocky ride along the way. They are sweating bullets knowing their time will come and they will be run over by a train at old age.

Mograph is next, I think.

It's becoming a cheaper commodity every day. When the budgets do go up, it's only for 7 times the Manload™ of yesterday.

No matter what anyone's theory is, consider the mere fact that corporate clients need the jobs done faster regardless of money. Because their competition is delivering faster content. That means you'll need to step it to the next stage of the information age fella!

Your global competition will make it clear to the clients....that days of waste are costing the company time and money. Sometimes you don't need a 5 star restaurant. Sometimes a 3.5 star burrito place will do. Everybody's in a hurry these days. ;)

Thanks to bidding war hell that has been created by the clients having options, it's very clear that the agencies, networks and corporations do not value the design shops at all. They do more complaining about how expensive it is. Just ask one.

In fact you can hear clients grumbling on their end during the deliveries. They want it yesterday.

Otherwise they'd hire shops outright if they had that much value. They rarely do that.

Even Psyop, Brand New School and Superfad have to pay to bid against each other. What a war! You need Rumsfeld level defense budgets to fight that war. :)

So when they go out of business, you'll be able to do that level of work with 3 people in your shop? I dunno about that. If you live in California or NY the rents and mortgages are too high. So the work will disburse a bit thanks to online recruiting.

Animated tigers are in commercials too. And in films like Pi. It's so funny people work so hard to differentiate the two. They are sometimes exactly the same executions. A commercial is a film genre.

Edited by BoArlander

@CJCreates Just to clarify, its the Mill TV department not The Mill as a whole.

do people read stuff? or just freak out?

Do you read stuff? If you read the entire statement, it's sounding very much like they are under duress due to the industry model.

They spelled it out for you and you couldn't even comprehend it?

Furthermore, they said they cannot go into further details as they get consultation.

My guess is legal counsel is involved. Doesn't sound as rosey as you make it out to be considering they are at the top of the game.

Whether they rebound or not, we need to learn what's going on so the industry can improve the model.

All these shops are closing due to the model being unsustainable. Watch, there will be more news soon. I have some leads but not saying. Plus I can picture a few shops I don't even know about. Because they are not profitable, spending money like crazy and they are flavor of the week.

Vozzz, i'm just sayin'. Peace.

Shops open and close all the time in this business. When bigger shops close the talents with in those companies pull together and form smaller boutiques and work their companies up. Another trend is alot of artist can work remotely now with the way the internet is set up you dont always need to do the 9-5 at an office you can do alot of this stuff from your own home office. I like how shops are popping up all over the place now instead of being centralized in NY,CHI, and LA it gives me hope I can relocate to Hawaii and still keep doing mograph for high profile clients not just local.