Sign in to follow this  
annalord

Shadows/lighting on Thinking Particles (cinema 4d)

I am currently working on a scene with about 100,000 thinking particles surrounding a planet but I am running into a strange lighting issue. As you can see in the attached image, half of the planet is in shadow, yet the thinking particles do not seem to be effected by this (they seem to be uniformly illuminated).

How can I make them respond to the lighting conditions within the scene? What am I missing exactly?

Thanks so much!

Screen-Shot-2013-03-28-at-12.07.52-PM.pn

I may be being stupid here, but I'm willing to look foolish if i learn something... I thought that thinking particles didn't render in outputs unless you apply objects or tracers to them. In that case they will use the properties of the materials applied.

by the way, just so people get a feel of what you're working on you should probably should have posted your issues in the thread you've started regarding this project. I know it's a different issue but it may just help somebody else who is making their way into the world of TP, and keep the forum less... scattered. I'm glad you're making progress with the project though.

You'll need to render the particles using the PShape node in Xpresso. Or, you could use Hair to render as well but it will take some tweeking to get a nice shape.