Sign in to follow this  
anothername

Scanner recommendations for artwork

I have a project starting where we have an illustrator that uses brush and india ink, want to scan the illustrations and really capture the nuances in the brushstrokes.

Looking for something that can scan tabloid or larger.

My current scanner is a piece of junk, but not really sure what to look for in a scanner. I guess my concern is less with resolution and how much subtlety it can capture.

So any recommendations for a good scanner for artwork. Budget for scanner is max 400$ but obviously cheaper is better.

I have a Canon Canoscan 9000F. It works fine for motion graphics.

It was real cheap, as I remember. Epson used to be used by everyone, then

they started getting flaky.

Canon seems to be the new Sony.

I've done both scanning and shooting brushed work and charcoals. It does have a photographed analog look I dig.

All considered for the case of shooting, it's hard to lay the inked paper completely flat. It curls on the wall and using tape is not ideal. Shooting on the wall requires taping all corners. Yuck. Shooting top down requires a tabletop rig. Angling a tripod down is not ideal as angle of direct incidence can be way off.

Next. Constantly obsessing about focus. Then obsessing about the lights. Hard to get critical focus with some cameras. Requires bright, good quality lighting or the images will be soft.

Depending on your workspace, scanning could be better. Crisp contact with the glass is important. Less cleanup. Just depends on preference and aesthetic.

Wow thanks for this advice all. Some of my artist friends were heavily in the photography camp saying that the shadows from depressions made by pressing down on the paper and al lot of those other little subtle details are only really capture by shooting. This illustrator prefers scanning his work which makes my choice easier. Going to pick up the Canon 9000F