Sign in to follow this  
rollowenlock

frame accurate feedback on work-in-progress right in MOGRAPH

Guys,

we've talked a lot about sharing videos online with team and clients and getting feedback as you move towards the final render. Thanks for all your ideas and thoughts.

At WIP we are looking at making a feature for MOGRAPH where you can upload and share a video right here for critique, and allow members to write their thoughts 'right on top of the video' eliminating having to write timecode etc.

What do you guys think? Is this something you'd find useful? Get frame accurate feedback on your work-in-progress?

http://www.wipvideos.com

Rollo

It can't hurt but honestly as a professional I can't think of a single instance where I would be allowed to post a WIP on a public forum, there is a little thing called NDA. Nor would I want to design by comittee is something I generally try and avoid in my creative process.

I'd say if you want professionals to buy your tools concentrate your time and resources on features they need, on the other hand if there is a market for people who want this feature certainly can't hurt to have it in the package but to me there is zero point.

Cool idea, but honestly I'm not sure if this is something I'd pay money for. The problem it tries to solve really doesn't bother me that much... I guess if I had multiple individuals giving feedback independently of one another it might by handy. For the most part though I prefer to just have a printout of any feedback I receive and just cross them off with a pen.

And yeah, per anothernames note I'm pretty sure uploading to a non-company server would raise a few eyebrows where I work.

Yeah... frame accurateness would be nice for getting feedback from a client within what you have going so far, but I definitely see no point in it being used for public display.

It can't hurt but honestly as a professional I can't think of a single instance where I would be allowed to post a WIP on a public forum, there is a little thing called NDA. Nor would I want to design by comittee is something I generally try and avoid in my creative process.

I'd say if you want professionals to buy your tools concentrate your time and resources on features they need, on the other hand if there is a market for people who want this feature certainly can't hurt to have it in the package but to me there is zero point.

When I look through the 'showcase' part of the forum, I see many projects that are shared in Vimeo or other such sites for the express reason of getting peoples thoughts from within this forum. I can certainly see there would be a hesitancy to put client work on an external site, but what if it was your account within WIP? You had your logo in the corner so it looked like it was from you? I guess the issue is, some people want to share work on here before its finished, and others do not.

Thanks for your comments, much appreciated.

Cool idea, but honestly I'm not sure if this is something I'd pay money for. The problem it tries to solve really doesn't bother me that much... I guess if I had multiple individuals giving feedback independently of one another it might by handy. For the most part though I prefer to just have a printout of any feedback I receive and just cross them off with a pen.

Thanks for your comments man. We turn the comments on the video into a to do list that has a print function! It might just be the droid you've been looking for!

Yeah... frame accurateness would be nice for getting feedback from a client within what you have going so far, but I definitely see no point in it being used for public display.

What about when its a finished video and you want to engage people in the public space? Could get more interest around a video?

I like it, but here's a few things that would keep me from using it:

-No volume controls?

-One more place to upload. Could you add a feature that allows you to embed videos from vimeo/youtube?

-Reviewers are selected on a project by project basis it seems. Could there be a 'team' feature where a small group of people are all able to make comments instead of having to invite the same people every time? I guess you could all share the same login, but then you cant see which person is making comments.

I like the direction though. Good stuff!

Edited by highfive

-No volume controls?

-One more place to upload. Could you add a feature that allows you to embed videos from vimeo/youtube?

-Reviewers are selected on a project by project basis it seems. Could there be a 'team' feature where a small group of people are all able to make comments instead of having to invite the same people every time? I guess you could all share the same login, but then you cant see which person is making comments.

I like the direction though. Good stuff!

Audio control and teams are coming very soon!

If you want embeds from social video sites you could use firstcutpro.com

I'm a professional video maker who has come up with a solution to a problem that most of us have had. Getting video work to clients, and gathering feedback has been a mess.

But as of today, presenting work to clients just got a whole lot easier. Gone are the days of uploading a work-in-progress to Vimeo or Youtube, or putting a file in a Dropbox folder for the client to delete.

How?

Privately upload your work to WIP, invite the clients to view, and get all their comments directly on the video AND automatically turned into a to-do list. When you have the next version ready, its as easy as uploading it on top of the last version and you now have a 'version stack'.

WIP is free for a limited time, and you can create an account today.

The platform is built with 256 SSL (bank level) security, and looks after communication with your clients in a professional manor.

WIP has already changed the way hundreds of video makers work with their clients, you can join them right now.

I want my free account.

I might try this but i can think of 2 things the little voice in my head is already saying to me:

1) i get paid way too little to allow for frame accurate micromanagement

2) the fact that you can do frame accurate feedback might lower the bar for more adjustment and thus micromanagement

We don't want to suggest that this is easy. Clients might even expect more control because of this.

I just tested it.

Frame scrolling is a good thing.

But being able to hide/show all the comments even for the reviewer would be a plus.

Also make a tag or different colors for different matters. Red for example for a matter that would concern some technical problems that happening at certain places etc.

Green would be audio etc. but let anyone decide what the tag is.

my 2c

Hi Parallax,

1) i get paid way too little to allow for frame accurate micromanagement

2) the fact that you can do frame accurate feedback might lower the bar for more adjustment and thus micromanagement

we've found quite the opposite occurs. 'With great power comes great responsibility' sums up how clients react on WIP. They will generally ask for less changes, just because they are given the chance to ask for anything. Its a strange occurrence, but its pretty cool to see in action. Jobs are getting done quicker, and on anything with a fixed price, that is pretty cool.

Hi Parallax,

we've found quite the opposite occurs. 'With great power comes great responsibility' sums up how clients react on WIP. They will generally ask for less changes, just because they are given the chance to ask for anything. Its a strange occurrence, but its pretty cool to see in action. Jobs are getting done quicker, and on anything with a fixed price, that is pretty cool.

That's surprising. I will be trying it soon.

I signed up but it says in the TOS footage may be used for marketing purposes. That's really not acceptable for obvious reasons.

Well spotted sir. This is what happens when you let lawyers loose on your TOS.

We're updating the wording today, we never intended to say we will use video or comments for marketing purposes.

I've given you an Early Adopter Beta account (10 hours of storage space, worth $100USD) to say thanks.

Rollo

I signed up but it says in the TOS footage may be used for marketing purposes. That's really not acceptable for obvious reasons.

Can you email me at rollo@wipvideos.com as we can't find you on the system to upgrade your account.

thanks.