Sign in to follow this  
ianfreeze

Looper

Every once in a while I see you lot complaining about the old days when there were plenty of healthy discussions, debates, or flat out arguments going on around these parts. I don't know if this thread will turn into one of those or not but what the hell, its something I thought about after I watched the movie (Looper in case the thread name didn't tip you off). Also, spoilers. Like stop reading right now spoilers.

So in the movie we are lead to believe that when Joseph Gordon-Levitt (JGL) kills himself at the end he is saving the future from the Rain Maker by letting him grow up with his mother thus becoming a good person. When I saw the movie I loved it up until the very end because I think that Bruce Willis was right and the kid had to die. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. However, upon seeing the movie again I noticed that in the original iteration of the timeline, the one Bruce Willis came from, the kid already grows up with his mother and still becomes a terror. I watched it with my special lady friend and she didn't really see any problem with JGL killing himself to save the kids life. I was convinced the movie asked some interesting questions about morality and the greater good. She didn't see too much of that going on. I guess my question is what do other folks think about it, agree with JGL or Bruce? Is there a moral dilemma at all?

Doesn't Bruce Willis say they don't know anything about his early life? I like the ending by the way, love the whole idea of ending the circle of violence with a selfless act..

Watched this movie twice, so glad I did. First time round I completely missed the transition to old Joe's timeline and thought young Joe was dead. So many cool ideas and such a great world to explore them in.

Doesn't Bruce Willis say they don't know anything about his early life? I like the ending by the way, love the whole idea of ending the circle of violence with a selfless act..

Watched this movie twice, so glad I did. First time round I completely missed the transition to old Joe's timeline and thought young Joe was dead. So many cool ideas and such a great world to explore them in.

I think they say something to that effect, but since JGL kills Bruce in the original timeline, it can be assumed that the kid grows up with his mother. If kid doesn't (she dies or leaves for some reason) whats to say that the event that separated them wont happen again? Wouldn't the smarter move be to try and kill Bruce and stay with the family to make sure kid grows up with some guidance away from becoming a mob boss? Or just let Bruce kill the kid and make sure?

Edited by ianfreeze

I liked this flick and liked how at every turn when they go into talking about time travel and timelines and what not, it's immediately said that it's not worth talking about. I liked the ending and thought it wrapped things up nicely. Good entertaining movie... And Emily Blunt...YUM!

Edited by oeuf

I think they say something to that effect, but since JGL kills Bruce in the original timeline, it can be assumed that the kid grows up with his mother. If kid doesn't (she dies or leaves for some reason) whats to say that the event that separated them wont happen again? Wouldn't the smarter move be to try and kill Bruce and stay with the family to make sure kid grows up with some guidance away from becoming a mob boss? Or just let Bruce kill the kid and make sure?

you're right - that's the smart choice. But neither old Joe or young Joe are particularly smart.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the issue that Bruce will shoot Emily Blunt first to get to the kid? If that happens then the rainmaker will probably go crazy and burst Old Joe. And with no-one to look after him or keep him onside he'll go bad fast.

I think young Joe makes a split second choice to save Sara.

Anyone else love the soundtrack?

"Looper" was my favorite film of last year, mostly because of the craft and general sense of enthusiasm for the material I could sense behind it. It felt like the work of someone with a true love of film and a gifted wordsmith.

I've seen too many "clever" films and TV shows, and really have no interest in debating the logic of plot. Time travel is just a device for storytelling - in "Back to the Future" it was a way to answer the question "what if I could have met my parents when they were my age?" The question in "Looper" is "will I like myself in 30 years, and if not, what can I do to change that?" You plop those questions into an entertaining narrative and I'm just a sucker for 'em.