Sign in to follow this  
chizmniz

Multi layer OpenExr in C4D

Hey all,

So I have been trying to do some research on the .exr format and have been unable to find any info on the possiblity of having multilayer exrs output out of cinema. Anyone have any news? Is Cinema even considering doing something like this? I know rpf and rla will retain most of the data that openexr does but would like to know if this would be another viable option in the near future.

Also I have been considering moving back to 3ds lately and am wondering. Anyone here use 3ds for daily mographing work? Any comments pros cons?

Thanks all

Chad

hey man -- you should just the multilayer file checkbox checked and it should be good to go.

Just out of curiosity, what are you doing with exr's. I have some experience with this and you can pm me or im at free_ed@mac.com if you want

The actual openexr format is yes but it still renders multiple files. Maybe I am approaching it wrong?

Make sure you are choosing the regular OpenEXR and not the Quicktime OpenEXR thing which sometimes can be confusing. But I've done it multilayer and used it with broken out layers in Nuke a good handful of times now. Works well. I wish it had a few changes like being able to name the passes and what not. But it does work.

I turned off the main diffuse pass and just rendered through the multi pass and it worked. I had no idea you could render your main beauty through the multi pass.

Very cool

I've been using .exr for a while and they rock, no more trillions of files. Hurrah!! - Especially when used with the Pro EXR plug in AE, which automatically creates stacked comps for each multilayered file. In C4D make sure that 'Save compositing file is not selected' otherwise option is greyed out. Also the best compression (apparently) is the catchily named 'Lossy 16-bit float, 4-by4 pixel (flat fields) (B44A)' Bit like jpg for exr. Does create artifacts with some AE fx such as MB Looks but good most of the time. @chizmniz - yeah I was kinda impressed with that.

Have you noticed any lag when stacking tons of exr passes? Similar to having 10 multi pass layers I notice that the read and write causes a huge slow down. That really is the big reason I am looking at 1 multi layer file. Hoping it will alleviate some of the massive file sizes and also help speed up my workflow a bit.

Hey man -- give me a ring if you can. I tried it for the same reason and was pretty darn disappointed. Overall it really seems to lag when things get complicated. We were working on a 1920x3240 5minute video installation and thought this might be a way to manage about 10 passes and 200 buffers. Unfortunately the EXRs were about 150mb per frame. What I have done lately is mostly work in PNG seqs and make heavy heavy use of the Red Giant unmult plugin to help with the computer tax. Also have been taking image seqs and turning them into ProRes 422/4444 and working with them to speed things up. A bit of an extra step but worth it in the long run.

The kind of workflow I suggest would be to render all the passes to single EXRs rather than multi channels. Then, build the passes into a multichannel EXR inside of nuke and start comping from there.

It has worked for me.

With multi channels EXRs from 3d applications, Nuke has to calculate every pass before it actually gets to the pass you need. Not sure about AE but I think it would be the same.

When comping in AE, I also use single EXRs rather than multi channels. I build my render with all those single passes and once I get a beauty comp that looks good, I pre-render that and move it into another comp for FX,CC etc. It's a clean workflow than helps to manage the EXRs in a smart way. AE can slow down significantly if using EXRs are not used properly. All this while working in linear 32bit space.

nuke_exr_build.jpg

Man I think its about time to pick up nuke. I got a version here that I can use but with the workload I have not had a chance to learn and use it. Thank you for such a great explanation! Now how do you handle the file sizes with the multi passes all being exr? Could using something like .iff or png be a benefit or a curse? I have been using a png or tiff for the main diffuse and then an iff for the multi. Pros/cons of iff ?

The main and tech passes (diffuse, raw gi, normals, uv etc ) stay as EXRs. RGB and luma mattes are rendered as PNG since we don't need them to be 32 bit. It definitely helps reduce the amount of work AE has to do to calculate EXRs. Same with nuke.