Sign in to follow this  
jan

Good speakers for editing?

Make sure that your speakers have mount brackets even if you don't plan on immediately suspending them. It might save you a huge headache down the road.

My M-Audio MX8s don't support any way of properly mounting them. I finally found brackets on ebay but it involved screwing into the speaker boxes. :-(

I dig my MX8s. I'm told by audiophiles that they are the definition of standard-issue and aren't anything special, but I never had bass / treble balance issues.

With any of these studio monitors, make sure you suspend them or at least place them on foam padding or they will seem to have heavy bass.

I have M-Audio at home, and happen to have the Behringer where i'm working currently. I know almost nothing about either, except that I can't use the Behringers cuz they're plugged into some kind of special digital sound card that can supposedly drive them harder, as is needed. In my case, it doesn't work, but the point is that apparently you may need more than the standard set up to get them going.

I've always liked the M-Audio stuff, but it really depends on what you need them for, and where they're going to live. If it's just you in a small uninsulated office, you're probably not going to get the benefit of high end studio monitors driven by an amp or something.

I've worked with both behringer and m-audio stuff, both are great value for the money. Never used those particular speakers but if they have good reviews and they fit in your budget I don't think you can really go wrong with behringer stuff.

Those behringers are kinda ugly, no? Whats the point of having the vol control there? You are going to need to hook them up via xlr to an interface of some sort anyway.

Edited by AromaKat

I wouldn't recommend those Behringer MS-40s.

It definitely depends on what kind of work you do, but since the lower end of frequencies is so weak on those, it's kind of easy to miss some sounds overall.

I'd suggest the cheapest Gelenecs, for example.

Jan beat me to it but I was intrigued by those Genelecs and I checked them out for a 40w set it's 900$, Vs 500$ for a set of those Yamahas, Vs 365$ for the Behringers and maybe 150$ for the M Audios.

It's not exactly comparing apples to apples.

If you are just editing and presumably sending everything on to a sound designer for final mix I'm sure all these options are good value for the money just a question of what you actually need in terms of fidelity and what you are willing to spend....but damn now I want to hear what those Genelecs sound like.

Edited by anothername

I've got a couple of Genelec speakers on my workstation. They probably are a bit of overkill for just syncing up motion graphics or editing to audio.

If you are going to present your work to clients with them, they are great. People really respond to how good they sound.