Sign in to follow this  
Ernex

Luna Park - Cinematic Animation teaser

Hi guys!

I just finished an animated teaser and wanted to share it with you, to see what your reactions and thoughts are.

This is a personal animation project, tribute to the graphic novel Luna Park. I fell in love with the comic when I read it the first time, specially of the particular drawing style of Danijel Zezelj.

The idea was to create a sort of teaser or trailer of the novel, using a selection of its own frames. It was a long process, editing every shot in Photoshop, cutting out every element and painting the empty spaces left behind, trying to keep a style consistent with the original work. Then it was a matter of joining all the elements inside After Effects, re-building every composition and bringing them to life, animating elements, using cameras to play with the parallax and adding some atmosphere with subtle light and particles effects.

And this is the final result: LUNA PARK [Teaser]

I'd love to know what do you guys think about it, what would you have done different, what could be improved... Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

Ernex
Motion Graphics Designer / Art Director

www.ernex.es

Some very good work in there , Some scenes could have been better (like when she's lighting a cigarette or a group of people walking you could have dropped the whole scene and chose something different) but overall I think you did an excellent job of pumping life into it and you almost forget you are dealing with stills here

You know, now that you've done all of the really laborious production stuff like the roto and building out all of the imagery, and you have your first pass done, I think you could and maybe should do a second cut. Do a cut where you look at the footage that's available to you and use that to craft an exceptional story, or a very specific mood, or both.

The edit that you have now is kind of lacking in terms of pacing and arc. Every cut feels like it's about as long as every other cut. And that makes every shot seem just as important or unimportant as every other. So what you have now is a ton of work that you're showcasing in what amounts to a slideshow. If you go back and figure out what imagery is worth lingering on, and what imagery is going to prove more powerful in rapid succession, you'll have used all of it in a much more meaningful way. And that's really just for starters. You can certainly make better use of the visual interactions between cuts, the implications one image has on the next, the way the cuts complement moments in the audio, etc.

This is really one of those cases where you've already done the gruntwork, and have one in the can, and it can only get better.

Thanks a lot for your feedback! It actually helped me realize some details that I didn't notice or consider before. Now, looking back at it with a couple of weeks of perspective I see what you mean about the re-editing, Blinky. It's true now most of the shots seem to have a very similar weigh in the whole composition.

I'll try to have in mind your advice for future improvements.

Thanks again!

Ernex
Motion Graphics Designer / Art Director

www.ernex.es