Sign in to follow this  
yambo

YAMBO - REEL13

it looks cool. But a general rule is: if you put stuff in that was clearly made from a tutorial, people are probably not going to want to work with you. Even though you changed stuff up, it still screams GSG. And the building up effect from that ministry of sound piece, while it looks great, just does not instil confidence.

but your timing seems to be good and camera moves are nice. which isn't something you can copy from tutorials.

I for example really like the hairy cube piece, but i have no way of knowing if you did a tutorial and just modified it slightly or it was your own work, because so much of the other work is quite clearly tutorial derived.

Thank you!

I understand and fully agree.

Actually tried not to put almost any stuff that made from tutorials, but my thought was that i took some stuff to my own place and it might be OK.

Let's take the ministry of sound piece for example. it indeed was fully inspired by Paul Clements piece, and i watched the breakdown and thought it will be pretty awesome if i'll succeed to do some self-build cable by myself. but it didn't made with any tutorial, is there any tutorial for that piece out there?

Appreciate and accept the criticism, the hairy cube is original by the way ;)

He may have been referring to the buttons/pins falling about at 00:19. If you suspect that someone may call you out for this even if it's technically "original", it's better to be safe than sorry. Also, you have some really cool work, not sure why you're front loading your reel with a bunch of this borderline tutorial stuff.

there is no problem with re-creating stuff, but just don't put it in your reel. You can put it up your vimeo page and stuff. But i think your reel should really be more original. Because when you're getting hired people go through 100's of reels. And if even one piece tips them off, they will just move to the next reel, because its not worth the risk.

There is a big problem in this industry where producers hire someone with a great looking reel, and then find out that it was all tutorials. so now everyone is very careful with anything that looks tutorial based.