Sign in to follow this  
Aaron Scott

Adobe programs going Creative Cloud-only -- new AE is "AE CC"

http://thenextweb.com/insider/2013/05/06/after-nearly-10-years-adobe-abandons-its-creative-suite-entirely-to-focus-on-creative-cloud/

Adobe has shared with us that Creative Suite 6 will still be available for purchase, but it will not be updated beyond addressing bugs and OS compatibility. There will be no Creative Suite 7.
Instead, Adobe is pointing all of its energy towards Creative Cloud, eliminating the familiar retail box in the process. Like last year, the company is releasing an updated suite of applications this June, newly branded as “CC” apps. This includes: Photoshop CC, InDesign CC, Illustrator CC, Dreamweaver CC and Premiere Pro CC.

So is this something where it'll have to ping a server and enable a license for you? What happens if you don't have internet (or its temporarily down) at your workstation? Are you screwed until you find an internet connection?

“With balanced income, Adobe will likely look better to investors, so long as creatives come aboard.”

The last thing companies/artists need is another thing to complicate or have to troubleshoot in our day.

I like the price point, I must say. But what if they jack up the sub rates? Or internet goes down. Connection issues. Server issues. How robust is that damn server?

Adobe, please reconsider...

:P

Edited by BoArlander

Well, this is the kind of power you can wield as a monopoly.

Welcome, our new Adobe overlords. Let's hope you stay benevolent, I guess.....

Edited by jayfaker

If the cineware feature is gonna be only available on AE CC, I quit.

As far as I know, this is the case.

I spent several days back and forth with adobe sales in chat, before I finally took the blue pill and bought into the cloud.

Can only get upgrade price to 7 (which will have Cinewang) if you own 6, and I think 7 will be CC only.

Another interesting thing they said was once you upgrade the version, there's no going back.

Which is not huge, but sometimes its nice to have that back pocket version when everything goes pear shaped in the new one.

But the good thing is Adobe has NEVER EVER released software with bugs, so it's all good.

Shareholders 10 - Users 0

As far as I know, this is the case.

I spent several days back and forth with adobe sales in chat, before I finally took the blue pill and bought into the cloud.

Can only get upgrade price to 7 (which will have Cinewang) if you own 6, and I think 7 will be CC only.

Another interesting thing they said was once you upgrade the version, there's no going back.

Which is not huge, but sometimes its nice to have that back pocket version when everything goes pear shaped in the new one.

But the good thing is Adobe has NEVER EVER released software with bugs, so it's all good.

Shareholders 10 - Users 0

Why you fear mongering? Adapt yo.

Once they have enough people on the service I'm sure they will raise prices significantly. Actually I'm surprised they are pressuring people in this quickly. Figured they would have at least waited a version or two.

Edited by superegophobia

Yeah I thought it'd be awhile.

When I was asking about upg prod bundle they were shutting it down left and right.

Definitely gonna be a price hike down the line.

Brave new world.

Buy a box version of CS6 and sit on it for a couple years. I bet it skyrockets in value!

We are still selling CS6 software, and we will be for a long time for people who prefer the perpetual license model. We will still release bug fixes for CS6, too; we are working on a bug-fix update for After Effects CS6 now.

So, no need to hoard boxes of CS6.

So is this something where it'll have to ping a server and enable a license for you? What happens if you don't have internet (or its temporarily down) at your workstation? Are you screwed until you find an internet connection?

Once per month, the software tries to connect to a server to see if the activation is valid. If it fails to make a connection, the software still works, but it enters a "grace period" mode, during which you get an occasional reminder that you need to connect to have the monthly activation checked. If you have an annual subscription, the grace period is currently 99 days; we're bumping that to 180 days in the near future.

So, no, you're not going to get locked out of your software just because your Internet connection is down for a day or some such. If you have a problem with no Internet connection for several months in a row, I'm guessing that your creative software isn't your biggest concern.

Figured they would have at least waited a version or two.

We've offered subscriptions for two version already (CS5.5 and CS6), and the uptake has been far faster than we were expecting at the time that we started.

That is false.

If you subscribe using Creative Cloud, you can choose which version(s) to download and install. We have committed to having at least five versions available for download, beginning with CS6.

Once per month, the software tries to connect to a server to see if the activation is valid. If it fails to make a connection, the software still works, but it enters a "grace period" mode, during which you get an occasional reminder that you need to connect to have the monthly activation checked. If you have an annual subscription, the grace period is currently 99 days; we're bumping that to 180 days in the near future.

So, no, you're not going to get locked out of your software just because your Internet connection is down for a day or some such. If you have a problem with no Internet connection for several months in a row, I'm guessing that your creative software isn't your biggest concern.

This part sounds great.

Just my 2 cents.. so far the creative cloud had been nothing but bueno on my end. I am certainly a bit fearful of the time when Adobe decides to up the prices on the subscription though, especially when there is no longer the option to buy a physical copy. Hopefully this will all lead to better things for everyone without a price gouging.

One thing I could really look forward to is a CC membership that saves your layout, preference and maybe even scripts and plugins so you could really login anywhere and work on a project.

What about all the studios that work in a locked down enviroment? No internet. Ever. Companies like Autodesk alow you to work in a sealed enviroment. But your telling us we are stuck with CS6 forever. :*0

What about all the studios that work in a locked down enviroment? No internet. Ever. Companies like Autodesk alow you to work in a sealed enviroment. But your telling us we are stuck with CS6 forever. :*0

For those enterprise environments, there is (already) a system that acts as an activation server, so the individual computers just contact it for activation information. This requires the system administrator to have access to the Internet on at least one computer---but that is a requirement that every enterprise meets.

For those enterprise environments, there is (already) a system that acts as an activation server, so the individual computers just contact it for activation information. This requires the system administrator to have access to the Internet on at least one computer---but that is a requirement that every enterprise meets.

Todd -- very interested in this for our workstations. Is there a link to this setup and does it cost extra?

You mean this thing I just posted about?

http://adobe.ly/11cJ5OF

Yes I mean that and more... hahaha always asking for that, but did not know that feature even existed. I would suggest promoting that even more as some houses I have worked in, this would have been such as killer feature at the time (and no doubt will be for them now)

Yes I mean that and more... hahaha always asking for that, but did not know that feature even existed. I would suggest promoting that even more as some houses I have worked in, this would have been such as killer feature at the time (and no doubt will be for them now)

As far as promoting it more: I just published that a few hours ago, and we just announced the feature this morning.

Regarding wanting more stuff to be synchronized: That's why there's a feature-request link in my post. We asked several hundred After Effects users what they wanted to have synchronized, and then we started working our way down the list in order. We'll get to more stuff later... and since we are in this new world of being able to release features whenever they're ready, later isn't likely to be that long from now.