Sign in to follow this  
Aaron Scott

Adobe programs going Creative Cloud-only -- new AE is "AE CC"

Except Spotify doesn't have Led Zeppelin :o

And Adobe CC still doesn't have a node-based compositor :D

edit: which is why I'm on Autodesk's version of The Cloud for Smoke 2013 and their 600 a year maintenance doodad. One day Adobe.....one day.

Edited by C.Smith

I subscribe to spotify but think that subscription is a different beast. If they tripled the price or something I could go 'meh not worth it anymore' and stop completely or switch to Pandora/iTunes/amazon. Same thing happens w CC and its like 'hmm, yea that's not good'. Difference is a luxury item with serious competitors vs a necessity (from a working perspective) with no direct mograph competition. Nuke as a compositing tool is great, but doing traditional 'motion graphics' seems harder. Although there seems to be more and more 3d work requiring compositing these days.

Also can we clarify one other thing?

Chris mentioned paying in advance and the sales guys told me you can't do that. Have to pay the monthly.

Is this true?

'Cause I know psychologically for me that bugs me. I'd love to pay up front and never have to hear about it again for a year or two.

Yes, you can pay in advance. I don't have the details for that off the top of my head, but I know that it's possible. I _think_ that the availability of that option differs from locale to locale.

I'll check on the details and get back to you.

Further more if you pay a year or two upfront, in my book that should offer the buyer even better pricing. The more you pay upfront, the better the deal.

Not really. Even if the ratio of legal vs. pirated was 1 : 10 or so, Adobe would still make a lot of dough... If anything, CC may make less people try pirated software because it makes less sense to risk virus infections with downloads from dark places, which might skew the ratio to 1:9 ;-). Beyond that: Those who don't want to pay anything simply won't pay anything ever, but it should not be any software vendor's top priority to come up with ever new ways to try and kill off illegal use. I'm sure Todd, the AE team or Adobe in general have enough other things to do and put some stema in CS8 and beyond...

Mylenium

No doubt. They're going to score big with this one.

Chris mentioned paying in advance and the sales guys told me you can't do that. Have to pay the monthly.

You can pay in advance for month-to-month plans since it basically is just based on giving you a monthly extension/ prepaid voucher kinda thing. More voucher codes, more months - sort of. I don't think it's available for annual plans or CC for Teams, though.

Mylenium

Edited by Mylenium

IF one doesn't like paying monthly, then why not take the $1600 you were going to buy a box set with and pay for the next few years upfront? By that time the box set you would have bought will be outdated by a few box sets and be worthless anyways, however you wouldn't have had to pay upgrade prices between box sets.

Maybe I have my math wrong, but for me, this is a win/win. Just like Spotify™. I don't have any interest in owning my songs. I just want to rent a resource to have EVERYTHING at my fingertips all the time.

Chris, I'm going to guess that you owned your copy of Creative Suite before Adobe started pushing CC. That advice is great for new users, but for those of us who have invested thousands of dollars maintaining our licenses already, the situation isn't nearly that rosy.

Not to continue beating on the Spotify thing, but ownership of entertainment media is an entirely different situation with a much less serious set of ramifications than not owning the primary tools with which you generate income.

Chris, I'm going to guess that you owned your copy of Creative Suite before Adobe started pushing CC. That advice is great for new users, but for those of us who have invested thousands of dollars maintaining our licenses already, the situation isn't nearly that rosy.

Not to continue beating on the Spotify thing, but ownership of entertainment media is an entirely different situation with a much less serious set of ramifications than not owning the primary tools with which you generate income.

It's a mindset. Just think "pre-pay" and you will be just fine.

-gl

Fair enough. Answering that question isn't cut and dry for me. I co-owned a production company and we last bought CS3 and were nursing on that as we used the AVID DS for most things. AE was a glorified Particular host and Swiss Army knife for us. I moved to Cali a little b4 the cloud started and needed to buy all my personal software from scratch so I signed up for the Cloud looking for an avid DS replacement. But after messing with premiere and speed grade and not feeling either we're going to work for me beyond quick fixes I invested in smoke 2013 and the full DaVinci Resolve. But I still think being on the cloud for miscellaneous uses is worth it.

So from a new investment stand point, the cloud works well. But also I think of box sets as kind of dead after a year or so as they hold almost no value once they are a version or two behind. I always thought of them as the same as being rented as you are making money off if them in the very short time they have before being almost worthless. But isn't that the deal with all software and computer hardware itself?

Edit: to your spotify point. I made a living now for 13 years off of stuff Panavision owns. Never concerned any of us for a second. At the end if the day it's available to you to make money from or not. People drive leased vehicles to work to make a living. I don't see the difference. If its because Adobe is the ONLY way you can make a living then that may hint to a much bigger problem. And it's more about the one golden goose making people nervous when it moves.

Edited by C.Smith

I think that's basically it. I spend 95% of my time in c4d and only do basic comp in ae, using ps for texturing etc. both of these apps are interchangeable for me, as is c4d if something drastic happens. I could learn any compositing program and get better results, and there is most likely a half decent alternative to ps to do what I need. Same as premiere and speed grade are throw away things for you.

I guess the main problem is a lot of people are very dependent here on ae and how it works. There is no real competitor and it is the golden egg, from the golden goose!

Your points about equipment and vehicles are good ones for sure

I think the Panavision example is spot on. For people buying new licenses, I think CC is great. Who wouldn't want just $30-50/mo/computer added to the rest of the startup costs compared to the old pricing. I also like the idea of the monthly price for home/freelance computers (who would rather give up less than an hour of work per month for their software instead of much of a project once a year).

I also agree that for those of us who have spent thousands in the past to stay current, this gives back relatively little for customer loyalty. It is also more expensive annually for those of us who usually only upgraded every other year. But unlike then, now when we don't see a reason to upgrade, Adobe still gets our monthly fee.

How is this?

I am thinking on doing this:

Just Adobe After Effects. (single app)

Instead of Premiere Maybe get Final Cut Pro X (now that it has XML export). Instead of Photoshop/Illustrator, maybe learn Sketch or Acorn or any of those silly programs. I spend most of my time on AE anyways and at 20$ over a period of two years which is when I typically would upgrade, it's actually less money.

Is this a terrible idea?

How is this?

Instead of Premiere Maybe get Final Cut Pro X (now that it has XML export). Instead of Photoshop/Illustrator, maybe learn Sketch or Acorn or any of those silly programs. I spend most of my time on AE anyways and at 20$ over a period of two years which is when I typically would upgrade, it's actually less money.

Is this a terrible idea?

That's where my head is at right now. I have no need for 90% of the full suite of stuff Adobe offers and of that AE is the only one I need updated with any regularity. Photoshop/Illustrator have only gotten more bloated/worse over the years. I'm fine with my PS/AI CS5 licenses. Same with Flash, the little bit that I use it. Seems like this actually saves me money over the long run for AE. I definitely get the concerns about Adobe jacking up the price or not being able to stop paying them while keeping access to the software, but it seems a lot of that is a larger issue with lack of competition, and Adobe sure isn't going to shoot themselves in the foot solving that one any time soon.

How is this?

Is this a terrible idea?

I don't think it's a bad idea at all. I know people love to hate on FCP-X, but premiere isn't that much more amazing either. I hadn't used Premiere since '98 and when I used it again, I figured they had 15 years to really add some amazing things. Short of the fantastic Mercury engine speed it has, I found the whole system very cumbersome and antiquated and the dynamic link between it and AE has it all wrong. It should work like the way Avid DS and Smoke use containers, but it doesn't so I found it useless as far as a 2-way turnkey solution. My old man edits like a bat out of hell on FCP-X and claims that people who hate FCPX didn't take the time to really learn FCPX and how it's different because they were too busy crying about change.

Between FCPX @ $399 and Pixelmator for $40 and DaVinci Resolve Lite, the only thing left you would need is AE (illustrator can also be replaced with great share ware knock offs). So to me this all makes sense.

Between FCPX @ $399 and Pixelmator for $40 and DaVinci Resolve Lite, the only thing left you would need is AE (illustrator can also be replaced with great share ware knock offs). So to me this all makes sense.

Wow, Pixelmator looks great, too bad I'm on a PC at home :(

Optical Flares for Nuke, as well as Particular etc.

Just sayin.

I'd definitely be into trying Nuke (love me a node-based workflow), but it seems like more of a straight-up compositing application rather than a flexible motion design solution. Am I wrong? Please tell me I'm wrong.