Sign in to follow this  
Aaron Scott

Adobe programs going Creative Cloud-only -- new AE is "AE CC"

I'd definitely be into trying Nuke (love me a node-based workflow), but it seems like more of a straight-up compositing application rather than a flexible motion design solution. Am I wrong? Please tell me I'm wrong.

I love Nuke for compositing, had a license at my last job. As with all node based compositors though, the immense power and flexibility comes at the cost of less fluid sequencing and layering. It's more focused on making single shots look awesome which are then passed off to an editor.

It's an incredible program, and really great for some special case motion graphics, but I wouldn't use it as a replacement for After Effects in a motion graphics workflow.

I'd definitely be into trying Nuke (love me a node-based workflow), but it seems like more of a straight-up compositing application rather than a flexible motion design solution. Am I wrong? Please tell me I'm wrong.

No, you're definitely right, at least for now, and probably forever.

I was just being provocative out of desperation.

Todd:

What happens when I sign up for CC and CS8 gets released and I don't want to upgrade. Is everyone who is on CC forced to start using the newest release, or do we have options of which version to run? I really don't want to be forced to use the latest release when I have multiple plugins to upgrade at the same time and make sure they're compatible.

Todd:

What happens when I sign up for CC and CS8 gets released and I don't want to upgrade. Is everyone who is on CC forced to start using the newest release, or do we have options of which version to run? I really don't want to be forced to use the latest release when I have multiple plugins to upgrade at the same time and make sure they're compatible.

Pretty sure all previous versions are available for you to use at your discretion.

You choose what versions(s) to install and when---no different than now, except that the library of versions from CS6 forward will all be available.

Edited by Todd Kopriva

Will this library of versions also be available to those subscribing to individual applications? Eg if I do nothing now and then pay for one month in 2016 will I be able to download every version of AE released between now and then?

Ok I will go cloud on AE only as soon as the next version is avilable.. I will ride my current CS6 liscense to use Ps and Ai forever. I think I am going FCP X. For editing. My initial reaction to FCP X was that I needed to learn premiere as it was already included on my CS6 Bundle. Now I can't see a reason not to do FCP X.

AE is only going to be less that 10$ a month for an entire year. Then $20 the next year. This is where I spend most of my time, It just does not make any sense to me to pay another 30$ (150% more) for all this other stuff that I find usefull only sometimes.

Edited by este.eri

I gotta chime in here. Haven't been around for a while, but came on to learn what everyone thinks of CC.

To the guys bitching about costs - of $30 - $60 a month... seriously? SERIOUSLY?! You should be making that in an less than an hour or two of paid professional work. Buck up.

As a business owner and animator myself I am more than psyched to know that all of my contractors will now be on the same software version from here on out. Can't tell you how many times I've hired someone only to find out they are on an older version of AE etc.

The fact that it works for +90 days without internet is excellent for when we are all animating from the rainforest for three months straight.

That vid covered all of my concerns...and my likely response. I don't trust Adobe (or any other large company) but sign me up. Is there is really another option? AE with C4D integration. There's zero chance I could live without that.

Anyone else think that was produced by adobe as devil's advocate marketing? Haha

Definitely entertaining.

Come on Todd just confess already. This is just a total Reptilian/NWO thing. Hahahahahaha! Just kidding. :D

Edited by BoArlander

Once per month, the software tries to connect to a server to see if the activation is valid. If it fails to make a connection, the software still works, but it enters a "grace period" mode, during which you get an occasional reminder that you need to connect to have the monthly activation checked. If you have an annual subscription, the grace period is currently 99 days; we're bumping that to 180 days in the near future.

So, no, you're not going to get locked out of your software just because your Internet connection is down for a day or some such. If you have a problem with no Internet connection for several months in a row, I'm guessing that your creative software isn't your biggest concern.

I'm afraid the reality is not that kind..

Doing a couple of live broadcasts for the EBU the current one

where we've been in pre production for about two months now.

(Last month at the site, the arena)

In short, we (4 graphic guys) are making content for the media server

system running some 20 projectors. We are connected to theses servers

and -they- are supplying the base IP address to be used. No other routers

can be used and no internet access is allowed anywhere in the setup.

Any content must be accessible by any machine at all time, at nights for

the projector crew for alignment and testing, at daytime by us and the

media server operators for rehearsals.

What happens is. We do get a email that our monthly CC payment is drawn

from our accounts. -WITHIN A FEW MINUTES- AE pop up the "You have a 4 or 5 days

grace period.

First time I simply pressed Continue, as I then thought I could re apply within a couple

of days. The 5 days went and I got a 0 days message that I CANT USE THE APP and had to break the work

for some 20 people as I had to take my workstation (and its content drives) off the

local net and connected my iPhone instead. I had to hunt around menues and connect to

my Adobe account with no clue as where and how to re apply (the only obvious links at

Adobe linked to how to by a new subscription). After some 20 minutes my CC was again

running, but I truly don't know what action did it.

Re connected to the local network again just to find out that the Output render Modules

special made for this project WAS ERASED, GONE!!! HAD TO BE REDONE, APE RAPE!!!!

The two following "5 days grace period pop ups", I had no choice but do the iPhone connection

(again stoping work for up to an hour).

WE HAVE ANNUAL SUBSCRIPTIONS AND THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS 99 DAYS GRACE,

WE ARE SCREWED EACH AND EVERY MONTH, APE RAPE.

Cheers

Lennart

Edited by tcastudios

Little did I know they were adjusting prices based on regions. Australia pays $1400 more than US for Creative Suite. Now I can't say I wouldn't do the same if I were CEO. And I'd expect even less out of this trained machine of a CEO. They are in business to make profits, not to make broke designers rich.

From Engadget. A little taste of “the future” cloud. I've heard the sound, now I'm waiting for the smell. And this CEO just cut and wafted one. Not sure how this cloud will smell yet, till it's too late. Not liking how things are panning out for Lennart and co. Hearing those kinds of stories is pretty disheartening.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/14/adobe-ceo-dodges-pricing-questions/

My ankles are up near my head now...go!

I'm afraid the reality is not that kind..

Lennart,

The changes to the grace period behavior are new this week, in response to people having bad experiences like yours. It's an example of us adapting to remove the obstacles as we discover them. I wish that it could have occurred sooner so that you weren't inconvenienced.

Lennart,

The changes to the grace period behavior are new this week, in response to people having bad experiences like yours. It's an example of us adapting to remove the obstacles as we discover them. I wish that it could have occurred sooner so that you weren't inconvenienced.

Todd, thanks for the info and thanks again for putting up with my caps rant. :)

Cheers

Lennart

Little did I know they were adjusting prices based on regions. Australia pays $1400 more than US for Creative Suite. Now I can't say I wouldn't do the same if I were CEO. And I'd expect even less out of this trained machine of a CEO. They are in business to make profits, not to make broke designers rich.

From Engadget. A little taste of “the future” cloud. I've heard the sound, now I'm waiting for the smell. And this CEO just cut and wafted one. Not sure how this cloud will smell yet, till it's too late. Not liking how things are panning out for Lennart and co. Hearing those kinds of stories is pretty disheartening.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/14/adobe-ceo-dodges-pricing-questions/

My ankles are up near my head now...go!

They must have made some adjustments since that article because the Australia pricing looks similar to the US pricing (A$49.99 is about comparable to the US rate according to google), but the UK is paying close to $75/mo US for some reason.

[EDIT] I need to learn to read things a bit closer. They're talking about the boxed version, not CC. Duh. I remember this being a thing. Something about it being cheaper for Australians to fly to the US and buy CS6 here and fly home than to order online. Seems like they addressed that in CC, at least for Australia.

Edited by RVA8