Sign in to follow this  
Aaron Scott

Adobe programs going Creative Cloud-only -- new AE is "AE CC"

but the UK is paying close to $75/mo US for some reason.

Todd - Have the suits given you any idea on why UK customers are getting shafted - again?

Edited by zook

Looking at the threads on this forum, it's crystal clear to me that this industry is relying more and more on a broader array of computer science. Half of us are talking about scripting, ports, modules and shit like that. My point? Just pointing out the Moore's law will be a part of your future. Unless you stick purely to pencils and paper as final delivery method. I only say this because I care. Knowing this helps focus future plans, purchases and negotiations.

Here's the definition from wikipedia. This eliminates some of the guessing. Mentions hardware, but also applies to software. If anything, “creative” software is probably fitting that 18 month cycle right now.

Moore's law is the observation that over the history of computing hardware, the number of transistors on integrated circuits doubles approximately every two years. The period often quoted as "18 months" is due to Intel executive David House, who predicted that period for a doubling in chip performance (being a combination of the effect of more transistors and their being faster).[1]

Edited by BoArlander

Here's the definition from wikipedia. This eliminates some of the guessing. Mentions hardware, but also applies to software. If anything, “creative” software is probably fitting that 18 month cycle right now.

I WISH these software releases were doubling in quality every two years. Every release has like one or two new features and a ton of bugs and annoying things that never get attention. Mainly talking about autodesk, but applies to Maxon and AE too.

I WISH these software releases were doubling in quality every two years. Every release has like one or two new features and a ton of bugs and annoying things that never get attention. Mainly talking about autodesk, but applies to Maxon and AE too.

And boooooooooom goes the damn dynamite.

SPARKING NEW TOOLS! sells more software licences than optimising existing tools. It's like we are getting out-voted with dollars by people who would rather have the novel than the useful.

It will be interesting to see how the CC subscription model works with this. I'm a bit worried that the lower cost of entry might encourage Adobe to do an Apple and play to the consumer market over the pros.

Of course, I won't expect you to believe it until you see it, but I can say that in the next release (targeted at this fall), we are going to be fixing a lot of problems that bother our regular users---i.e., y'all.

Also, in the version that will be released in June, we concentrated on fixing a lot of crashing issues. We went through the data from our crash reporter and addressed the majority of crashes. I urge you to try it out, even if just the trial version, when it comes out.

Actually I wish we would get back to the good old "new version every 1.5 or 2 years" alltogether and see more rounded out packages. The death spiral of new versions and upgrades every year or now with CC every few months is getting more and more ridiculous. You don't even have the time to learn and integrate tools into your workflow anymore because tomorrow, yesterday's versions are already "legacy" and you start over adjusting your workflow when tools and features have been declared deprecated or "enworsihanced". And despite what people say about "agile" software development, burdening the users with constant updates, potentially risky install operations and fixing old bugs at the risk of introducing new bugs is not a good idea IMO.

Mylenium

Not funny.

Agreed, out of line. Thanks for handling this as a pro, Todd.

That said, I still want to see a way to buy a permanent license at some point. I think the community has been vocal enough over the past week to hopefully induce some change in how this is being implemented.

Oh, well now! Can you fix my issue yourself, then? Case numbers

Not the first time mentioning this here... I have been getting double-charged ever since the creative cloud came about. I used to have the cs5.5 subscription, which apparently I am still being charged for. Its been over a year now.... Even the person you forwarded me over to never responded to my case. The guys in India keep hanging up on me, disconnecting chat, etc when they start to get confused. Adobe support is utterly useless.

But I guess since you are the man and can now do corrections yourself.... thanks in advance!

Update: I just upgraded to a Teams account so I don't have to use unique emails and the old subscriptions, including the duplicate charge, were cancelled. They acknowledged that it was an error but were unable to refund anything beyond the last 30 days.

Figured I owed an update since I was crying about it here.

Oh please, a little off color comment merely made to get the point across.

Abuse continues while the abuser apologizes, etc.

Don't be so über-pc-sensy.

Adobe is not our friend, its a company. At the end of the day, this forum is great to have a link to someone in that company, but

don't glaze over into la la land and imagine that they solely have the user's best interest at heart, esp over the best interest of the shareholders.

How about this:

'Show me on your monitor where Adobe touched you'

Oh please, a little off color comment merely made to get the point across.

Abuse continues while the abuser apologizes, etc.

Don't be so über-pc-sensy.

Adobe is not our friend, its a company. At the end of the day, this forum is great to have a link to someone in that company, but

don't glaze over into la la land and imagine that they solely have the user's best interest at heart, esp over the best interest of the shareholders.

How about this:

'Show me on your monitor where Adobe touched you'

Yes but we can discuss this adults.

My take on this is that it's the great unknown. The package is no doubt a phenomenal value. Getting C4D Lite (assuming it works right and not too buggy) is awesome. Thing is, they could easily change the game at moments notice. Which would have people clamouring to pay to stay afloat. And lets face it if everyone these days has CS6. You really need it too. Didn't alway used to be that way, but seems like more and more so.

in microdot's defense, he's just a little concerned that there's a powerplay here. And based on the CEOs statements from the engadget article, he continually dodged the questions about price adjustments based on markets. And certainly had no reasuuring tone whatsoever. If anything seemed like a very strong possibility in the near future.

I don't blame Adobe. Nor do I blame the artists. It's certainly valid for Adobe to want to make a profit and corner a sector of the market. And it's certainly valid for artists to want to not have to worry about getting extorted out of business. We spend a ton of money on this stuff combined so every little change matters to us.

I'm in agreement with others' positions that it should be quality over quantity. It keeps us chasing and in tutorial hell for things that don't end up working properly.

I'm in agreement with others' positions that it should be quality over quantity.

Agreed. That's why you should be happy that the current product owner (person who sets the priorities for what goes into the next version) for After Effects is a quality engineer who used to be in Technical Support (me). My mission is to have the updates to After Effects in the short- and medium-term future remove a lot of pain points for long-time users like y'all. Nothing flashy; just better.

I don't know much about pricing issues; out of my area.

Thanks for replying Todd - much appreciated.

*Edited for verboseness.

Edited by zook

hey Todd, what was the court case that Steve was referring to when he said "blame Enron" last night?

thanks to both of you for coming out and talking with the AENY group, I livestreamed the MAX presentation but missed a lot of the details so I appreciated Steve going over them again.

hey Todd, what was the court case that Steve was referring to when he said "blame Enron" last night?

He was referring to the Sarbanes-Oxley legislation that was created in responses to Enron booking revenue before they had fully delivered on what had been paid for. It is this legislation that has made us unable to deliver feature-bearing updates for perpetually licensed software without charging additionally for the updates.