Sign in to follow this  
butterbescotch

[Newbie Q] Animating Burger Ingredients

6qgo4h.jpg

What I have here is the burger falling down. (I got the burger from the C4D presets) Currently, they fall down as one. What I have in mind is that the base would fall down first, then the letuce, then the beef, then the cheese and so on.

What I did is this: Put them into a Cloner Object (But only 1 object), animated it from top to bottom, and then added a Delay Effector.
But still it wouldn't work.

Any ideas how? I would really appreciate it.

Oh, Thanks Montreuil for the reminder.
I don't exactly know about animating/editing them separately, but here is what I did.

Method 2: I made the cloner object editable, and applied first a Rigid Body to the IndivindualObjects (Beef,Letuce,Top Bun), but what happened is that it explodes. So when they don't fall out of the cylinder, which is not what I wanted. Even though they are already editable, they don't seem to interact freely. For instance, I have four tomatoes, supposedly they should fall (explode) in the air unevenly, but they go at the same time. The whole four tomatoes. So it leads me to
Method 3: Once I made them editable, I made them a child of a Fracture object, then change the Straight to Explode Segments. It seems to work that the four tomatoes are now separated, but they still explode.

What I was looking forward was, all of them fall normally in the on the cylinder, like a normal burger would. And another thing, why does it take a while when I set play on the Fracture Object to animate. It seems so delayed in the viewport. Any idea why is that?

Thanks for the reply guys.

a) you don't need to use dynamics for everything. You would get a way more interesting animation with a few keyframes and a deformer or 2 to help with some bounce and squash etc.

B) if you want to, you don't have to run the simulation on ALL the parts simulataneously. They are exploding because either the objects are intersecting, or their collision margins are. Spread them out first. But I would suggest 'a'

I haven't tried froj the option A, but animating it with keyframes will not look it natural, I presume. Maybe I'll look into the deformers, but I'm wondering what specific deformer are you referring.

And well if not so much of a problem, can you give a solution about the dynamics not exploding, and they just fall down in the cylinder, with a little bit of bounce. It's just that I am barely getting along with C4D, and can hardly worked my way around it. So it would be nice, I could concentrate on one thing. Thanks! :]

Edited by butterbescotch

I'm not going to dwell on 'a'. But what I'm saying is if you are beginning to learn animation then dynamics are not a good place to start. Animation has been around for lot longer than dynamics plugins and modules and people have managed just fine to make much more natural looking motion than that little blue tag does.

Back to the dynamics, because I guess this is just a learning exercise to figure out how dynamics work. I already explained that your tomatoes are very likely intersecting. If the geometry is not then the collision margin of them will be (default 1 cm extra, and if your scene is real world scale then that is huge). There are literally thousands of dynamics tutorials that deal with the other settings. If you look up those things in the manual and understand what they do it will be an even better exercise for you

Good keyframe animation will look bounds better than a dynamics simulation on that object. I understand the lure of dynamics but putting some elbow grease into the animation will pay off in the end.

Edited by J Montreuil