Sign in to follow this  
kurtrofl

Any motion graphic jobs down south of the US?

Hey guys! I currently live in NYC, but my wife has been wanting to move down south for a very very long time. (Around Georgia, North Carolina, Florida etc). I know a BIG portion of the industry is in LA, and NY, but I was wondering if there is any hope for me down south. Are there any mograph users on here that are working down south?? And how is it?

I'm working in Atlanta. Haven't really been keeping up with the current scene, as I've been fulltime for years now, but there are a number of places to try out - I think there's been a lot of smaller studios that have been popping up recently too. I know a couple of freelancers that stay busy. but mainly doing 3D work. Some places in atlanta to look at are Turner, Crawford, Primal Screen, Radical Axis, R!ot, Artifact, Artistic Image, Elevation, SuperLUX, Tube.

There's a lot of web/ad agency/design type work here too, which may be worth looking into.

I've just left Florida after 6 years there. Definitely not as much in the way of motion work down there compared to NYC or LA but there are jobs available. I worked for an ad agency in Tampa, there are a few places in Miami, one of the better ones is Battle Media Lab. There's definitely more ad agency type work but then there's also quite a few big corporate opportunities like the Golf Channel in Orlando. What I struggled with was finding jobs where there were more than one motion designer. Working alone on something gives you some freedom but at the same time it limits what you are capable of completing in a designated time frame. Occasionally jobs appear on motionographer and motion served. One thing for sure is that Florida is an awesome place to live year round, especially if you like being outdoors! Best of luck!

Edited by boarderpat

As a native Floridian who has lived in Chicago and now New York it pains me to say that Florida is a tough place to find work. Don't get me wrong you can definitely get by and there are people that do but you definitely wont find the community or type of work you will in NY or LA. Atlanta is always growing but aside from that you really dont hear much about motion houses in the south. If you are capable of wearing many different hat you can always try and go it alone. I know quite a few people that have little one man band companies where they do everything for small/local clients.

I am in ATL. I am not sure how to compare because I never worked in NY/LA. I have always stayed busy here. I would say Florida is probably a bad deal. (ppl tell me mograph jobs suck there).