Sign in to follow this  
lunarbluestudio

Playing around with Element 3D using only masks

Heck no. Didn't you just do the Universal animation knock-off? Why do you present these poor man's versions of things?

Look, this is clearly an attempt at a "me too" version of the end titles for The Avengers. And that's totally cool as an exercise, or if you're trying to work out how that was done. But what you're showing falls so short of the original, it just doesn't make sense to present it. What do you benefit by showing that you took someone else's idea and executed it worse than they did? I'm not berating you for your skills, or for having tried. I'm just suggesting that you're doing yourself a disservice by scrambling up on stage with The Beatles and trying to cover Strawberry Fields with a kazoo in front of 80,000 people.

Do the "me too" exercise, if you feel like it helps you. But don't present it. It's a copycat idea, and if you're not doing it somehow BETTER than the original, you'll tend to be perceived as a hack. And that's obviously not what you want to be shooting for.

Binky,

I'm not trying to hide the fact that I mimicked the Avengers title sequence. I don't remember ever saying that this was some original idea. I was just playing around with Element 3D and masks and decided to do this. I can point you to many places where people mimicked other projects for experimental purposes. It's not like I am selling it as my own. This was stricktly and exercise and I just wanted to share what I did. I love getting corrective critisism but getting my butt chewed out for experimenting seems a little extreme.

Thanks for the input though!

Edited by lunarbluestudio

Yeah man, I'm not chewing your butt. I don't benefit at all from butt-chewing. I just had a bagel and it was chewy enough. I don't care if you attempt to replicate stuff. I don't care if you experiment. I don't even care if you do it poorly. Of course, we'd both rather you do it well, but that's not really the point i'm making.

What I'm trying to do is to help you look at your work through everyone else's eyes, and to see what that means for you. You're doing work that compares itself explicitly and directly to things we're all very familiar with, and which are very high quality. This captain america thing, in particular, has almost no value to your audience (us) ASIDE from that comparison. And because of that explicit and therefore unavoidable comparison, there's a huge shadow cast over your work. You are standing naked next to giants. It's like being the average girl at a party for Victoria's Secret models. It's fine being the average girl. Most of us are the average girl. But standing next to professionally sculpted models, you're forcing everyone to realize that you're quite obviously not in their league. Why do that to yourself? You're free to do all of the experimenting you want, and you should, but by presenting a knock-off you're forcing a kind of scrutiny that your experiment can't hold up.

We're all doing this to share. By all means, share, and share often. But this specific type of experiment you're doing, it isn't for sharing. You don't want it to represent you. You stand to gain nothing. This isn't a critique of your work, and I say it softly.

Cool, I hear what you are saying. I do appreciate it. I enjoy sharing things I create so I didn't really take into consideration the comparison thing. I spent a couple of hours playing around with Element 3D after watching Video Copilot's video about using masks with Element 3D and just thought I would share what I did. Anyway, thanks again.