Sign in to follow this  
Sircharles

BodyPaint or UvMapping

Hi, do people use bodypaint to uv map in cinema?

I have found it to be really annoying and looked at doing it in an external program - HeadusUvLayout or if others have suggestions...

I can Uvmap in maya but would mean installing a version of maya each time I work somewhere.

Thoughts?

Graham

C4D needs a UV mapping overhaul really soon, its long overdue. If they add all these new tools to encourage character creation and sculpting this is a big hurdle in between modelling and painting.

I use headus UV Layout, its getting kookier each osx release though. Wish someone would buy that thing or fund development to get a modern UI to go with its amazing algorithms. Other suggestions are only part of other packages - 3D coat is pretty good, ZBrush is supposed to be good aswell.

Its such an overlooked workflow step, hopefully maxon will implement something a bit more useful soon

It's very frustrating migrating from Maya to C4Ds UV editor I'll admit. With the addition to sculpting in R14 they should have given the UV editor an overhaul and added retopology tools, doh! R15? ...

Very curious about it but PC (and linux) only. Maybe the foundry has insider info on the mac pro and they didn't bother even starting to port it ;)

I had another look at headus today and it seems to have a lot going for it. Granted the user-interface is a bit dull, its supposed to be very robust and comes recommended from alot of places. I might stick with that.

Are you on mac or pc? On a mac it runs on either of the weird old legacy systems depending on how upgraded you are with osx.

I would rather headus UV crash 3 times a project than spend a second longer than I have to in C4D unwrapping

Modo does the job for me, quick and straightforward with a nice distortion view. A bit of an overkill if it's just UVing you need it for though.

I've always hated the mapping in C4D - the split between UV and model polys makes no sense at all - it kills the workflow to have two separate sets of tools to work with polys in the different spaces - UV/3D.

Modo - is lightwave people in new company right? I saw a tutorial on texturing realistic models from the gnomon workshop.

That being able to work on the seams is very powerfull. And the rendering was quick and accurate.

I also saw some guy work in photoshop in 3D views being able to work on the seams and blend them, there in photoshop.

I wonder will you be able to bring an obj in photoshop one day and just do it there.

I wonder will you be able to bring an obj in photoshop one day and just do it there.

You can. It's just a bit clunky from what I've experienced. But OBJ support came with Photoshop CS5 I think.

I signed up to digital tutors - btw it's pretty much a Maya/Nuke/zbrush tutorial library - worth it for those alone, I suppose - so I've been trialling all kinds of software to which I'd never paid much mind before.

Having been using zBrush 4r5 for a few weeks, it strikes me hard just how much Maxon undervalues the importance of not only bringing the modelling toolset of C4D up to competitive par, but also having seen that Maya 2014 has bought out the plugin NEX modelling tools and integrated it, that Maxon are just not focusing on developing the modelling abilites of its software, and by extension, its userbase. We all know that a large proportion of motion designers are ex-print and graphic designers attracted to the simplistic logic of C4D, and that the majority of them turn pale if they are ever requested to model anything. That does not mean that C4D users are base and ignorant, just that the 1994-era modelling tools don't really offer them much by way of insight into organic poly modelling. UV layouts and mapping are not covered by the majority of tutorials (greyscale gorilla, for example, would have you make polygon selections on your meshes and drop simple shaders onto them) and Bodypaint is this arcane appendage hanging off the back of what is otherwise a pretty progressive software.

When I see how zBrush works, I realise what Cinema is lacking. You can build up a blocked-out model in mere minutes, retopologise it by drawing sticky splines directly onto the mesh with your tablet pen to define the edge loops (especially good for doing mouth and eyes when modelling faces) and make a really decent low-poly model in half an hour. Then you can use UV Master to save a super-clean and very easy to understand UV map which cleanly and uniformly JUST WORKS inside of whatever 3D app you open the model in. Making UV maps might just die off given the growing prevalence of cheap retopo opttions and PTEX painting from mudbox and mari, but given that they're still here, like a the omnipresent ghost of plasticky shite 90s 3D animation, BodyPaint desperately needs simplification and more than that, DOCUMENTATION. These tools are extremely hard to use with a degree of exactitude for the self-taught user, so most people don't bother. Given that C4D is the gateway drug of choice for fledgling 3D animators, I feel less people would stick to animating awful bloody primitives/dynamics/cloners/orbiting-cameras if the UV and modelling toolset were brought up to the 21st century benchmarks set by the other 3D apps - in the deceptively simple logic of Maxon, of course.

I like the CMotion and preset armatures, but I just don't feel I'd ever sculpt and texture characters in Cinema seeing as there's little in the way of modern modelling options.

Mylenium - if you see this, I'd love to know what you guys on the dev side think about the modelling tools. Note that on a fresh install of r13 Studio, there is no preset modelling workspace (i have to make and save layouts and install KyamaSlide upon every fresh install) and all of the mesh tools are hidden in menus within menus (Axis Centre, anyone?). It seems as though users are not expected to want to edit their meshes. I'm not on r14 so I can only speculate about the sculpting, but I have a suspicion that it's not as fully-featured as I'd like it to be. I have, of course, been driving the Ferrari of sculpting applications, but I can only afford the Skoda sensible family saloon.

I agree with iline's whole post.

Only just this week did I understand how the hell bodypaint works regarding photo textures, and that was from digital tutors. Its somehow powerful but quirky and cumbersome with it.

I wish there was a Maxon insider as candid as Todd to discuss these big things!

I agree with iline's whole post.

Only just this week did I understand how the hell bodypaint works regarding photo textures, and that was from digital tutors. Its somehow powerful but quirky and cumbersome with it.

I wish there was a Maxon insider as candid as Todd to discuss these big things!

Mylenium?

Yeah but he's not exactly forthcoming with behind the scenes info is he? Helpful in every other way though, don't get me wrong.

And yes I should make it to a 908 party one of these days, I have mutual friends

No upgrade in r15 of uv and bodypaint so any recommends for a (fairly low cost) alternative to C4D?

Or just a way to smooth out/equalise the UV's? Like the smooth brush. Or even just tweaking the points without constantly switching between Move/Live Select? It's driving me nuts!

I'd still suggest Headus UVLayout for a great standalone app that's cheap. It just looks like ass. (I wish Maxon would pay whoever makes it enough to retire and just implement it)

A quick tip for the live select/move tool for UV point tweaking is to 'be' on the selection tool and use 'E' as a sticky key for move. So hold it while you tweak, then when you let go you are back to selection. It's kind of ridiculous that's what it comes to, but it's the best way I know.

R16...