Sign in to follow this  
cikeller

Tracer Object to Position and Scale of a Spline

I have a building. The roof of the building will outline then fill in. Once this happens the roofs outline and fill will raise. I need dashed lines in the corners which has proven quite difficult. However I managed to do this by using an object cloner to the Tracer which is tracing the corners of my spline which is the outline of the roof top.

This is where is gets kind of tricky. I have the outline position moving on the Y Axis above the building as if the blueprint is floating directly overhead. Once that happens I scale the outline/fill out 20%. This is where the tracer messes up. Instead of creating a tether type effect to keep the smallest point between the 2 points it creates an L shape. So from where the outline starts to the position Y spot is a straight 90 degree upward trace, then when it scales outward it goes out, but not diagonal. Instead in an L.

How can I avoid this. Is there another method out there? Any help would be great,

Test.png This is how i need to have it done.

Screen%20shot%202013-05-30%20at%205.59.5

I could also put nulls on the corners of the outline as well as in their original position. then connect them with a spring or something.

Or I could do it some how in AE with the nulls. I just not sure which is the easiest best route.

I'm not even sure why anyone would bother with making it so complicated. A simple XPresso setup that connects a two point linear spline with the corner points of the outline or whatever object you choose will do. Other than that there's a million ways to go about this from rotating the entire dashed lines with a constraint/ target tag toward a Null, all sorts of smartened up XPresso tricks and of course alternate "Tracers" like the one in XParticles or Remo's SuperTracer that do a better job. Short version: You are using the wrong methodology, within its own logic the standard MoGraph Tracer works as expected.

Mylenium

Edited by Mylenium

I'm not even sure why anyone would bother with making it so complicated. A simple expresso setup that connects a two point linear spline with the corner points of the outline or whatever object you choose will do. Other than that there's a million ways to go about this from rotating the entire dashed lines with a constraint/ target tag toward a Null, all sorts of smartened up XPresso tricks and of course alternate "Tracers" like the one in XParticles or Remo's SuperTracer that do a better job. Short version: You are using the wrong methodology, within its own logic the standard MoGraph Tracer works as expected.

Mylenium

thanks for the response. I'm not too familiar with the right ways. I'm no expert by any means. would you have knowledge of a good tutorial that could set me on the right course? thanks for your help

Refer to this simple setup:

http://www.mylenium.de/_Temp/Connector_Beams_00.zip

Drop the source and target splines into the user data fields as needed, change the index for each connector. This could be further expanded to be almost fully automatic, but for studying the technique and understanding the basic principles this should be sufficient.

Mylenium

Mylenium, I tried playing with that, but even that is a little too advanced for me. It seems you are light years ahead of me. I have splines already and I am having trouble understanding how the template splines work since i have none. So then that confuses me with what to enter in the MoSpline. Also I dont have a clue what to change in the eXpresso as I am such a newb. Again, Thanks for all your tips.

I think the main disconnect for me has been terminology. You said Point Index which I had ZERO idea what that was until I started searching more. I'm piecing he puzzle together with our project and this video.

I'll keep updating as I go. Thanks

Edited by cikeller