Sign in to follow this  
sbmotiondesign

Keeping track of inspiration and reference material

I need to come up with a better system for keeping track of and organizing references and inspiration that I can draw upon other than my hazy memory. Lately I've been emailing myself links to things with "Inspiration" as the subject but that's pretty weak. I've tried keeping spreadsheets in the past but that never lasts too long.

I hear about things like Evernote, and Pinterest and need to check those out but I'm curious if there is some bad ass system that anyone has come up with or is using.

This podcast with GMUNK got me thinking about getting more organized with my reference material.

Thanks!

I love Evernote. Being able to create notebooks for different projects and update them from my phone is the best. You can also drop in urls or pictures. On my last short, I used it in collaboration with my production designer to show her my inspiration and creative direction and allow her to share things back with me.

Great stuff.

I just started heavily using pintrest for this very thing. They even have functionality built in now for inspirational research prior to projects.

+1 for pinterest (shameless plug, add me :) ).

I also recently just got into it as well, it's absolutely great for inspiration & reference material (you can pin images, video, etc) and I like how simple it is, no need to really manage things too much. I keep general boards of ref/inspiration & secret boards for projects that I'm currently working on.

i just have folders on drop box. i tried using pinterest, but its too much of a hassle to upload all my stuff to it.

also as a note from someone who has been doing this for a long time. "save stuff to your hard drive" coz saving links is great, but sometimes authors take stuff down, sometime sites crash, stuff gets corrupt, and its very dissapointing to loose it. so i save everything into folders in my drop box. So i have it everywhere and its all backed up.

@robmonstro: love your work man. especially the lottery winning thing :)

@vozzz thanks for the kind words, appreciate it man.

re:pinterest - that's funny, because I used to do the "save to hard drive" dance with folders and THAT became a hassle for me, maybe just a preference thing. also, I never thought of what would happen if a reference is taken down, I assumed pinterest cached at least a thumbnail so it was always there.. maybe not.

Edited by robmonstro

pinterest seems to be the way to go for most. I use Gimmebar (which is the same thing, but way less popular). It's really a matter of having what you want, where ever you are, all the time. Websites like pinterest that have mobile apps are great, cause you can keep your scrapbook in your pocket, desktop computer, etc.

start an account with feedly.com and keep tabs on all of your favorite blogs too, it'll give you plenty to pin!

good luck pinning!

for me that kills me. Is i used to have a massive collection on deviant art and it was sorted too. and when i go back to look for something, a lot of it is just gone. along with accounts too.

pinterest might be better, but its a pain to upload your own collection there. you have to put a title and a link for each piece, even if its just a letter.

I tried evernote and pinterest but I always came back to saving stuff offline on a hard disk ... I create folders for everything and I name them with whatever the work inspires ...

I have folders named for example "clean and AO" in which I put stuff that is done with a pure white material and just ambient occlusion ... I have a folder just for abstract stuff , for low poly stuff , for black and white and so on .

It basically has to do with the visual style more than what something is intended for and then you have a folder for the best stuff , it usually has fewer files and i mainly fill it with shortcuts to the files not the actual files (those will be in their proper folders). I'm an organization freak and I gave this a lot of thought

I tried evernote and pinterest but I always came back to saving stuff offline on a hard disk ... I create folders for everything and I name them with whatever the work inspires ...

I have folders named for example "clean and AO" in which I put stuff that is done with a pure white material and just ambient occlusion ... I have a folder just for abstract stuff , for low poly stuff , for black and white and so on .

It basically has to do with the visual style more than what something is intended for and then you have a folder for the best stuff , it usually has fewer files and i mainly fill it with shortcuts to the files not the actual files (those will be in their proper folders). I'm an organization freak and I gave this a lot of thought