Sign in to follow this  
rjb

Glitchy polygon effect

I hate to be one of those "how is this done" guys, but i've only done a little bit of c4d.

I saw this guy's doodad, and I thought it was cool. Any tips on how to get close to what he's doing? Is it a fracture object?

Edited by rjb

I would say use a Random Effector. Drop it under the mesh and set it to deform the points with some animated noise, you can control the falloff this way too.

Other way would be to use the displacer deformer.

Edited by Bakahatsu

I think Bakahatsu has the right idea, but it looks like one or more Sound Effectors with falloffs to me. It's also boring as shit to watch for 3+ minutes since nothing, you know, happens. Ever. Not even a change of camera angle. So if you're going to make something similar, make it more interesting - shouldn't be hard. :P

R

I think Bakahatsu has the right idea, but it looks like one or more Sound Effectors with falloffs to me. It's also boring as shit to watch for 3+ minutes since nothing, you know, happens. Ever. Not even a change of camera angle. So if you're going to make something similar, make it more interesting - shouldn't be hard. :P

R

Hah, true. I didn't watch the whole thing. Thanks a heap guys!

Edited by rjb

haha. it is boring. i couldn't watch more than 30 seconds.

i'd say one way you could do this is making a texture in after effects using soundwaves or any beat matching plugin to create an animation (applied to time remap maybe?) then using the output render as an animated texture for displacement in c4d. i'm sure there's probably an easier way though.

I'm so sick of all these things.

Hey! Let's base the whole idea of our spot on some stupid effect that takes 5 min in a piece of software! It's basically letting mograph module tell you what you're stuff is going to look like - it's so backwards.

Go outside , grab some paper and draw, think, take some photos - think about a creative that will work with what you're trying to do.

This kid is no pro - he's just ripping off GSG. I mean, watch his reel - one tutorial after another. Fucking Mograph balls does not a legit reel make.

I'm so sick of all these things.

Hey! Let's base the whole idea of our spot on some stupid effect that takes 5 min in a piece of software! It's basically letting mograph module tell you what you're stuff is going to look like - it's so backwards.

Go outside , grab some paper and draw, think, take some photos - think about a creative that will work with what you're trying to do.

On some levels, I agree with you. Software can make your stuff look the same as everyone else- I remember when Trapcode Shine came out and everyone put it on everything. On the other hand, I'm glad i'm not sitting next to you- you seem legitimately angry that I asked a question, that I was curious about. Should we not wonder or question? I may or may not recreate this effect using the advice in the thread, I sometimes just wonder how things are done. If I did try, I'd be experimenting with the software which to me is the way you improve and get better.

I'm certainly far, far below the level you seem to be at (looking at your stuff now, it's quite good) so i'd be curious on your thoughts.

On some levels, I agree with you. Software can make your stuff look the same as everyone else- I remember when Trapcode Shine came out and everyone put it on everything. On the other hand, I'm glad i'm not sitting next to you- you seem legitimately angry that I asked a question, that I was curious about. Should we not wonder or question? I may or may not recreate this effect using the advice in the thread, I sometimes just wonder how things are done. If I did try, I'd be experimenting with the software which to me is the way you improve and get better.

I'm certainly far, far below the level you seem to be at (looking at your stuff now, it's quite good) so i'd be curious on your thoughts.

That wasn't really directly targeted at you, just in general I'm tired of seeing the same abstract mograph stuff over and over and over, that''s all. I was more talking about the guy who made it. Yeah, asking questions and studying other's work and recreating it, they're all good ways to learn. But take that technique and apply it in a different way.

Edited by theta

That wasn't really directly targeted at you, just in general I'm tired of seeing the same abstract mograph stuff over and over and over, that''s all. I was more talking about the guy who made it. Yeah, asking questions and studying other's work and recreating it, they're all good ways to learn. But take that technique and apply it in a different way.

Oh, right. I read into that wrong. My apologies.