Sign in to follow this  
Guest daktandy

I need reels, and resumes.

Guest daktandy

I'm totally new to this forum, and I'm sure that I'm going about this in the wrong way. I have created an animated comedy, based on my experiences working in a famous restaurant in Hollywood. My brother who is an established director/editor, and who helped form Motion Theory in Venice, CA, is collaborating with me. We are producing the first episode, as a spec. The material is very strong, and I believe completely original. This restaurant, is one of the most bizarre places on earth. A place where super celebrities rub elbows with the likes of Ron Jeremy.

We are looking for someone to bring this world to life. Any help, or advice in going about finding such an individual would be extremely helpful.

Guest chibosa

well since i suck. and I dont live in LA i cant help u. but i did notice this is your second post on the topic today. maybe try posting on creativecow or designinmotions job boards might get you some responses, or craigslist. good luck.

Guest igorschmigor

What are you doing??? Don't send him away.

I bet you'll find someone here who can and wants to do the job. Sometimes you just might have to wait.

Guest chibosa
What are you doing??? Don't send him away.

I bet you'll find someone here who can and wants to do the job. Sometimes you just might have to wait.

23038[/snapback]

sorry, told u i suck. blah

Guest silatix

you'll never make it in the world of internet forums.. never!! :blink:

sorry, told u  i suck. blah

23044[/snapback]

Guest hiphopcr

Try the mgla.org job boards, the highend2d.com job boards, or the visualeffectssociety.com job boards.

Doesn't your brother, who helped form motion theory, have any local connections?

Guest daktandy

my brothers connections are grounded in editing and directing, not in motion graphics. Already those suggestions for posting are helpful, and I will continue to post here. Ive already located an animator/artist in Portland through mograph that looks to fit the profile, but we will continue to look. I'm also pushing my brother to get his website polished, and his reel up to date so that you all can see it, and know that we are not smelly losers.

Guest daktandy

No offense to anyone who smells. we all have our sour days. In terms of budget, that is something that my brother and I would discuss farther down the line. But it should be noted that this is a project that we will be pitching to networks. whoever we decide to collaborate with would be considered a co creator and therefore attached to the project and any success it may find.

Guest Sao_Bento

The downside is that there are millions of posts on craigslist, etc. that promise untold fortunes for doing free work today. Most people realize that these are simply people looking to take advantage of others.

I'd imagine that's why you're not getting a ton of replys.

I'm not saying that you're not on the up and up, just that you need to differentiate yourself from the others. Gives some details that make you sound like you know what you're doing.

Guest SermonOfMockery

thats what i was getting at... if you have a real budget, make it clear that you are actually paying for this work, or most experienced people will think it's another one of those "well, we can't pay you now, but if this thing makes money we'll definitely hook you up!" things where, of course, you never get paid.

Guest daktandy

Totally valid. I completely understand those concerns. I guess what I can offer is the material itself. It's completely character based. It's an animators dream project. I dont want to talk it up too much, because that makes me feel dirty, and very much like the type of person who would take advantage of someone. I dont want to talk up my contacts for the same reason. Its definitely a leap of faith. I am hesistant to offer the material readily, but if I can see someones work or resume and feel that there might be at least the possibility of a collaboration, I would be happy to pass on the first episode of the pilot as a sample. there is nothing to lose in this type of scenerio. I beleive the work will speak for itself and help clear up any concerns. I should also note that my brother's experience in the industry as a professional editor, and his work as an independant filmmaker solidifies him as a legitimate artist. Someone who would not screw a fellow industry profesional, or artist, if for no other reason than self preservation.

Guest headbox

An "animator's dream job" is one that pays enough to live. A person needs to make at least $2k a month in LA just to pay for rent, food, and car- yet soooooo many "film makers" and "directors" and "visionaries" with no budget expect worker bees to just jump on a project "for copy and credit with possible deferred pay if this gets picked up." We've all heard it a thousand times. There are probably a hundred thousand wannabe film makers in LA.

The real deal establishes a budget, adjusts based on skill level of the artist, and pays 30-50% up front to get things in motion. If an "employer" can't do this, then it's a big massive red flag that this is just another leech looking for people to make a product for him to take credit for, and has no connections to take it anywhere despite calling himself an "industry insider." Everyone knows someone... everything has big possibilities of getting picked up... everything is going straight into some executive producer's hands... blah blah blah.

Edited by headbox

Guest daktandy

I'm sorry if I appear cavalier in my approach. it is not intended. I am honestly not prepared to discuss $$$ compensation. That is moving too far ahead. I just want to know who's out there. Show me yours, and I'll show you mine. All you need to know about me, you will get when you read the material. And vice versa when I see your work. It is very simple. I dont know a single executive producer, nor do I care to at this point. I'm from a small town in Oregon. I've lived in LA for five years and had the crap beat out of me numerous times, in any number of different ways, but I'm still here, and I still believe in the power of good ideas. That is what I am offering. A great idea.

Guest Binky

I'm from Oregon, and have been in LA for 5 yrs too... soooooooo like... uhh...

...mmm.... wait... so am I your brother?

So is this a character animation job? Like, traditional cel animation? And are you asking for a show package with open and bump ins and outs and whatnot, or is the animation integrated into the segment somehow? I'd love to see what you've got, if you wanna point me to it. Pretty hard to say if anyone here has what you need, but the ball is definitely rolling.

Guest daktandy

I'm probably about to get kicked out of this forum, but what I am looking for is someone who is an illustrator as well as a motion graphic artist. Visually, this world falls somewhere between the Simpsons and South Park, with a storyline and tone that crosses Cheers with the Sopranos. Now I really do sound like an asshole, but I cant get around it. It is a completely animated series. In terms of bumps? I have no clue what you are talking about unless you are referring to Hollywood bathroom chit chat. But If you are interested, I would be happy to show you what I got. thank you for your interest.

Guest headbox
...with a storyline and tone that crosses Cheers with the Sopranos. 

'nuff said. :blink:

Guest igorschmigor

Now little do i know about the world of TV series, but wouldn't the normal way to go about this be to first contact a producer, sell HIM the story to find people who can finance it and then be able to hire people? That's what i'd expect.

Guest headbox

Exactly! The pitch gets a green light, a budget is established, professionals are hired, and a production begins. Dudes rounding up strangers to make a no-budget project with nothing but hopes it will land on a bigshot's desk just don't have a clue.

Guest igorschmigor

I thought so. I have to apologize to Chibosa then. Do go and look on Creativecow and design in motion.

Guest parallax

I don't know you so i can't tell if you're for real or not, but in my experience, the only time you can make this sort of stuff work is when you only use friends or co-workers.

People you personally know.

If you're going to do the webroute thingy, you better look the part. If you look like the real deal, you will get the real deal simple as that. As it is now, you might wind up looking like some anonymous fat kid in a basement posting jobs on some random forum.

If you're serious about this pitch thingy, you better be prepared to at least do some serious promo work on a website including modelsheets, storyboards, scriptsamples and previz. And it better look good. If it does, you'll get a million talented people willing to work for nothing (unfortunately..).

Guest compose

my goodness.....first let me say that this site is crazy, stupid, illiterate...it belongs in a mental hospital....i love it!

now...on topic.....the man is only looking for people to colab with--talented people..why are you all giving him a hard time??? take it easy will you? if you dont have any thing to offer...dont get mad at those who do

Edited by compose

Guest igorschmigor

I guess it's just because he first made it sound like a big project only to then disappoint everybody by admitting that there is no money yet.

And personally i'm a little suspicious. He says his brother helped form motion theory but still he has no connections in motion graphics, and he still hasn't told us his brothers name yet.