Sign in to follow this  
Aaron Scott

New demo reel that I'm really unsure about...thoughts?

For reference, this was my last reel:
Is the new reel awesome or awful? I feel like I've lost any ability to be objective about it. In a way, it's the reel I've always wanted to cut--something slower, and hopefully demonstrating something a little more than pretty pictures. Since I work fulltime at Sequence, I don't need something flashy to dazzle potential clients, but I still want something out there representing me. That said, is the result just boring? Overly pretentious? What do people think?

Edited by Aaron Scott

Great visuals, and certainly a brilliant reel. Hard to tell what you did though. On some levels, I can smell your scent all over that reel with the FX.

Problem is, it's got your name only, and no clear description of role. Either keep it company based and generic (as I recall you lead the team at Sequence). Or add a breakdown of what you did as an artist, producer, cd, vfx sup, etc. At the very least, some friggin description below the reel to clear things up.

For example: But did you do ALL the Illustrations? Or did you put particles over top of them. There is a big difference and serious ethical considerations without a job title or breakdowns.

Not meant to be an attack. I wouldn't be suprised if you did illustrate it all. But this is just a testament to how unclear putting a reel with only your name is. Unless it's just a company name which connotes more hands.

BoArlander: Fair enough. It's a far cry from a regular mograph reel, where it's usually pretty clear what the person did. Normally the reel would be viewed in context on andcuriouser.com, which outlines most of my roles, though it isn't particularly specific.

I'm the lead animator at Sequence. It does get a little muddy, though--a lot of the shots in my reel I did solo, but there are also a lot of shots where I handed the technical animation (particle work, UI, background, effects, etc) and compositing. That's especially true of the shots with mocapped characters, where the characters were usually wrangled by one of our 3D guys.

But the editing/tone of the reel gets a pass? Unless someone jumps out and says they hate it, I might just post it.

I like it a lot very solid work. No a days the lines between VFX and Mograph are pretty blurred so I think it all flows pretty well.

Being a windows 8 / surface / windows phone 8 guy I have to agree skydrive is pretty dope. Have you found a way to password protect files on it? I usually just use my vimeo account to let clients view drafts but would be nice to use skydrive to be able to send assets back n forth I'm not really diggin dropbox to much.

@Aaron Scott - Nice reel man solid work. I saw your breakdowns on your site. Don't listen to that BoArlander dude, hes always on here critiquing everything and claiming to be in the know (all while being anonymous)

@moheeka: oh dear, I think you just sparked another fight. Now vozz is going to jump in here and lynch on Bo in Aaron's thread.

----------------------------------------

Overly pretentious? No.

I really like the beginning. There is a cinematic feel that isn't seen too often in reels. That being said, the mix of audio and video at the end does leave me feeling cheated out of a visual climax. The audio gets up there, but my eyballs are being fed at the same pace as in the beginning.

I do like what you are doing here though. My advise would be that the editing could use a bit more spice just before the end, then bring us back to the slower, more cinematic flow to fade us out gently.

Up through :31 is solid. After that, you do start dancing but could go up a degree or two. Very small increase in visual action. Specifically, it starts feeling too slow when I see the halo spaceship at :46. Watching it again, what I think would work is to somehow fit one more riff in there, so it doesn't end so suddenly, allowing you to come back to the slower parts.

Ech, I have been picking at this post between various tasks today so my thoughts might come across as a jumbled mess... Hope its of some use. Or you could just tell me to F off, because... well... Its pretty nice as-is.

Great visuals, and certainly a brilliant reel. Hard to tell what you did though. On some levels, I can smell your scent all over that reel with the FX.

@moheeka:

Not at all meant that way. It was a valid question, not an attack. I just needed to know what I'm supposed to judge. I tried to preface with the above and planned to follow up based on his response. I made the comment I did because I went to the public youtube link which had no description. I posted elsewhere that the guy does serious work when I visited his company site. I'm not here to fight anyone or to measure dicks. Aaron seemed to understand my post and handled it with class.

Back to reality. Thanks for clarifying Aaron. I enjoyed both the work and the tone. It's mysterious, classy and brilliant. We could all nitpick transitions, pacing, but I'm not going to do that. The fact you were able to make this type of reel flow is a testament to your talent. It's really an amazing reel. Thanks for being a good sport.

Edited by BoArlander

Its the passive aggression you use that annoys me. You say just enough to back out of it in case someone calls you out on something. I've seen other threads you've been on and how you compose everything you say. If you want to assume the role of "know-it-all" you better back it up with something substantial otherwise you're nothing more than any other internet troll.

Unless I'm wrong, I don't think anyone is here to measure dicks...

Its the passive aggression you use that annoys me. You say just enough to back out of it in case someone calls you out on something. I've seen other threads you've been on and how you compose everything you say. If you want to assume the role of "know-it-all" you better back it up with something substantial otherwise you're nothing more than any other internet troll.

Unless I'm wrong, I don't think anyone is here to measure dicks...

Fair enough. I'm not going to argue with you. I was passionate about the other thread for good cause. At times I got sarcastic in the process. I'm human just like everybody else. I'm not a perfect person, nor will I ever imply to be. For the sake of the man who posted here, it's best folks do this thread justice and stay on topic. No need for squabbles and escalations. Anyone with beef can send me a PM. Too tired to fight though so don't expect a reply if so.

+1 to AromaKat's comment about it being cinematic, it definitely felt that way to me as well and it held my attention from start to finish. I think you're on the right track with the mood you're going for and your work fits in nicely with that style of music and editing. A little more of an energy build towards the end would make it all the more powerful.

Hey, Mr Two-Posts lurker, I'm sure Aaron knows his reel is shit-hot and that's why it's in the Central section and not the "please look at my reel" section that no-one looks at. Bo's is a valid comment - I didn't do everything in my reel and I certainly don't own the copyright on most of it, so I have a lower third explaining what I did do. Most people hate the idea, but then most places in the UK get all funny when they see you Wetransfer renders to yourself.

The edit's fine, Aaron, in terms of editing the pace is pretty set throughout, no builds or drama or snazzy "AARON SCOTT - MOTION DESIGN 2013" nameplates - but the work sells itself without all those. Well done.

HOLY SNIKEYS!!!

Nix everything I said earlier!

Jeebus... I was watching the old reel you put up for reference.

Edit* - Your Skydrive thing isn't working for me.

Edit edit* - Figured it out. Its dropbox. It just wouldn't play for me. Downloading worked though. My brain is too tainted from my horrendous error to have any kind of worth-while opinion though. BUT, damn fine work regardless.

Edited by AromaKat

HOLY SNIKEYS!!!

Nix everything I said earlier!

Jeebus... I was watching the old reel you put up for reference.

The hilarious thing is that I was already really worried that my pacing was dead starting around :30. I read your first comment nodding the whole time, and I don't disagree :)

I'm sure Aaron knows his reel is shit-hot

Oh god I wish I knew that.

Oh god I wish I knew that.

I've never meet anyone that is shit-hot at what they do that also 100% believes that they are that good. The only people I've meet who claim "rock-star" or "god-level" skills are hacks who always have an excuse ready when I ask to see their reel.

I've never meet anyone that is shit-hot at what they do that also 100% believes that they are that good. The only people I've meet who claim "rock-star" or "god-level" skills are hacks who always have an excuse ready when I ask to see their reel.

Dunning-Kruger Effect

Somebody here recently mentioned it on another thread. A pretty awesome study.